    How cxan I do that if he doesn't have a floppy on his desktop machine???

    Thanks for any tips/tricks!
    Tony

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=, Oct 11, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=

    Malke Guest

    Tony V wrote:

    > I know this sounds silly but I want to run the Netwrok Wizrd to set up
    > file sharing and printer sharing on my frined's wireless netwrok.
    >
    > He has a Linksys router that is cabled to his desktop (and cable
    > modem) and he has two laptops that connect via wireless. He wants to
    > share his printer (that's attached to his desktop) and files betwene
    > all three computers.
    >
    > How can I run the Netwrok Wizrd on his desktop if he doesn't have a
    > floppy drive????
    > I know that it's one of the last steps of the wizard to write to a
    > floppy and then take the floppy to the other computers.
    >
    > How cxan I do that if he doesn't have a floppy on his desktop
    > machine???

    Just run the Network Setup Wizard manually on the other machines. This
    is to set up the lan for file/printer sharing. For the wireless
    connection, all you need to do is enter the encryption key when each
    laptop's wireless manager (Windows or the adapter's software) tells you
    there is a wireless network available.

    Here's a cut/paste about lan sharing:

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable
    File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
    turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Oct 11, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueSBW?=

    AJR Guest

    If running the wizard is your goal - copy it to a CD.

    AJR, Oct 11, 2006
  4. Thanks AJR, but the wizard doesn't even see my DVD/CD drive ! It reports that
    I have no floppy or removable media devices. I'd love to hear usofts answer
    to that one.
    David

    =?Utf-8?B?ZHdhcm5lcjMwdWs=?=, Nov 8, 2006