    All accounts are administrator accounts.
    What is wrong ? Thanks in advance.

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 13, 2006

  2. Mike

    Malke Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > I recently set up a home wireless network through a router as follows :
    > a.. my desktop connects to the router through an Ethernet cable
    > b.. two laptops are connected through the wireless connection
    > The Internet is accessible to all three computers. As concerns file
    > sharing though, the following happens :
    > a.. each one of the computers sees the others in the same workgroup
    > b.. the desktop can access and open shared files on the two laptops
    > c.. when I try to access my desktop from the two laptops, however, a
    > message appears saying " \\computer\ is not accessible. You might not
    > have permission to use this network resource...............!
    > All accounts are administrator accounts.

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the Network
    Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File & Printer
    Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2
    Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an
    antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts
    as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall software,
    configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually
    do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
    File Sharing enabled.

    Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
    anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
    This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
    situation.

    home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share folders
    inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
    Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
    MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
    pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Aug 13, 2006

  3. Malke wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >> I recently set up a home wireless network through a router as follows :
    >> a.. my desktop connects to the router through an Ethernet cable
    >> b.. two laptops are connected through the wireless connection
    >> The Internet is accessible to all three computers. As concerns file
    >> sharing though, the following happens :
    >> a.. each one of the computers sees the others in the same workgroup
    >> b.. the desktop can access and open shared files on the two laptops
    >> c.. when I try to access my desktop from the two laptops, however, a
    >> message appears saying " \\computer\ is not accessible. You might not
    >> have permission to use this network resource...............!
    >> All accounts are administrator accounts.

    > This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the Network
    > Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File & Printer
    > Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2
    > Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an
    > antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts
    > as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall software,
    > configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually
    > do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
    > 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your correct
    > subnet.
    >
    > If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:
    >
    > a. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
    > Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
    > accounts/passwords on all computers.
    >
    > b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
    > File Sharing enabled.
    >
    > Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
    > anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
    > This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
    > situation.
    >
    > Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    > home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share folders
    > inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
    > Documents folder.
    >
    > If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
    > MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
    > pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
    >
    > Malke

    Malke,

    I have this problem also. I've tried all your suggestions and I still
    can't reliably access shares. Occasionally, it works but then it will
    stop working. I have all the computers set to not suspend but I do turn
    off the hard disks after 15mins of inactivity. Things stop working after
    long periods of inactivity.

    Lee

    Lee Reiswig, Jr., Aug 15, 2006
  4. Mike

    Malke Guest

    Lee Reiswig, Jr. wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > I have this problem also. I've tried all your suggestions and I still
    > can't reliably access shares. Occasionally, it works but then it will
    > stop working. I have all the computers set to not suspend but I do turn
    > off the hard disks after 15mins of inactivity. Things stop working after
    > long periods of inactivity.

    If the network works and then stops, then you don't have the same problem
    because your shares are working correctly. On all computers, go to Control
    Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager. Expand the Network Devices
    category and find your network adapter. Double-click it to get its
    properties. Click on the Power Management tab and uncheck "allow Windows to
    turn off this device when not in use".

    If that doesn't fix your issue, then post back - making a new post, not
    tacking yours onto someone else's - and include all pertinent details. Here
    is a link that shows what details are generally required in a post in order
    to get focused help:

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Malke

    Malke, Aug 15, 2006