No fan of Tabs

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by LizzieB, Oct 27, 2006.

  1. LizzieB

    LizzieB Guest

    I LOVE Firefox 2.0. LOved 1.5 as well. What I don't like are Tabs on
    any browser.

    Is there anyway of completely eliminating them?

    Any more bars and there won't be a screen left to see anything.

    Harry
     
    LizzieB, Oct 27, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. LizzieB

    Snooky Guest

    LizzieB wrote:
    > I LOVE Firefox 2.0. LOved 1.5 as well. What I don't like are Tabs on
    > any browser.
    >
    > Is there anyway of completely eliminating them?


    Yeah, just don't use them then.

    Set new browser windows to "Open in new window" as opposed to
    new tab, and don't right click anything and select "open in tab".

    That's it.

    Your question is like asking "I don't like milk, how do I not
    drink any?" ... just don't drink it, or just don't open things
    in tabs.
     
    Snooky, Oct 27, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. LizzieB wrote:
    > I LOVE Firefox 2.0. LOved 1.5 as well. What I don't like are Tabs on
    > any browser.
    >
    > Is there anyway of completely eliminating them?
    >
    > Any more bars and there won't be a screen left to see anything.
    >
    > Harry


    Gee, just customize the thing. ;)

    Seriously, the ability to customize is one the very great things about
    Firefox.

    Firefox, out of the box, comes with the menubar, which you can't do
    anything about, the Navigation Toolbar where the location bar and the
    search bar are located, along with a default set of nav buttons, the
    Bookmarks Toolbar, and the tab bar. That's three. Even on the 640 res,
    that leaves a lot of screen.

    Everything but the menubar, you can get rid of. View>>Toolbars. Don't
    want the Bookmarks Toolbar, uncheck it. Don't want the Navigation
    Toolbar, uncheck it. If you really need the screen real estate, just
    hide it when your not using it. The only time you absolutely need it is
    in typing or pasting into the location bar, or typing search keywords
    into the search bar. Basic navigation can always be accomplished via
    the context menu.

    The Tab bar you can disable by Tools>>Options>>Tabs. Uncheck Always
    show the tab bar. Then just don't open any tabs. You'll never see the
    tab bar.

    Any other toolbars you might see were either custom added via
    View>>Customize, or by an extension. You can hide custom toobars as
    well, if you're not using them, in the same way as the default bars.

    Extension added toolbars can be hidden too. Web Developer Toolbar is
    one. It adds a toolbar button that can be added to the Navigation bar,
    on order to toggle the WD bar on and off. Prefbar, not yet upgraded for
    2.0, is another popular one. You can turn it into a dropdown from the
    menubar instead of a toolbar.

    Heck, most of the time you could function without any toolbars at all,
    and Firefox gives you the ability to do so if you wish.

    There is an extension that will disable tabbed browsing altogether, but
    I can't, in good conscience, recommend that you cripple the browser in
    that way. If you just don;t use tabs, the function will be invisible to you.

    Consider giving tabs a try,there must be a reason that every modern
    browser, IE7 included features tabbed browsing. I rebelled against it
    myself at first, back in Mozilla Suite 1.0 days, but I gave it chance,
    and now I could not function without it. Its much easier to navigate
    between tabs then with multiple windows. More important perhaps, a
    single window with 10 tabs is far easier on your system resources then
    ten open windows.

    Lee
     
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 27, 2006
    #3
  4. Once Upon A Time LizzieB wrote:

    >I LOVE Firefox 2.0. LOved 1.5 as well. What I don't like are Tabs on
    >any browser.
    >
    >Is there anyway of completely eliminating them?
    >
    >Any more bars and there won't be a screen left to see anything.


    If the tab bar cuts into your desired screen space, you can customize
    the main toolbar by moving all the navigation toolbar items onto it, and
    then turning off the (now empty) navigation toolbar. Results in exactly
    the same screen size as no tabs, with no loss of any function.


    **
    Captain Infinity
     
    Captain Infinity, Oct 27, 2006
    #4
  5. LizzieB

    C0mdrData Guest

    Also, just as in IE6, you can increase the part of the screen devoted to
    webpages by using F11 to eliminate the menu toolbar. When needed, just
    press F11 again.

    --
    "The human adventure is just beginning"

    "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    news:Q1e0h.125575$...
    > LizzieB wrote:
    >> I LOVE Firefox 2.0. LOved 1.5 as well. What I don't like are Tabs on
    >> any browser.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway of completely eliminating them?
    >>
    >> Any more bars and there won't be a screen left to see anything.
    >>
    >> Harry

    >
    > Gee, just customize the thing. ;)
    >
    > Seriously, the ability to customize is one the very great things about
    > Firefox.
    >
    > Firefox, out of the box, comes with the menubar, which you can't do
    > anything about, the Navigation Toolbar where the location bar and the
    > search bar are located, along with a default set of nav buttons, the
    > Bookmarks Toolbar, and the tab bar. That's three. Even on the 640 res,
    > that leaves a lot of screen.
    >
    > Everything but the menubar, you can get rid of. View>>Toolbars. Don't
    > want the Bookmarks Toolbar, uncheck it. Don't want the Navigation Toolbar,
    > uncheck it. If you really need the screen real estate, just hide it when
    > your not using it. The only time you absolutely need it is in typing or
    > pasting into the location bar, or typing search keywords into the search
    > bar. Basic navigation can always be accomplished via the context menu.
    >
    > The Tab bar you can disable by Tools>>Options>>Tabs. Uncheck Always show
    > the tab bar. Then just don't open any tabs. You'll never see the tab bar.
    >
    > Any other toolbars you might see were either custom added via
    > View>>Customize, or by an extension. You can hide custom toobars as well,
    > if you're not using them, in the same way as the default bars.
    >
    > Extension added toolbars can be hidden too. Web Developer Toolbar is one.
    > It adds a toolbar button that can be added to the Navigation bar, on order
    > to toggle the WD bar on and off. Prefbar, not yet upgraded for 2.0, is
    > another popular one. You can turn it into a dropdown from the menubar
    > instead of a toolbar.
    >
    > Heck, most of the time you could function without any toolbars at all, and
    > Firefox gives you the ability to do so if you wish.
    >
    > There is an extension that will disable tabbed browsing altogether, but I
    > can't, in good conscience, recommend that you cripple the browser in that
    > way. If you just don;t use tabs, the function will be invisible to you.
    >
    > Consider giving tabs a try,there must be a reason that every modern
    > browser, IE7 included features tabbed browsing. I rebelled against it
    > myself at first, back in Mozilla Suite 1.0 days, but I gave it chance, and
    > now I could not function without it. Its much easier to navigate between
    > tabs then with multiple windows. More important perhaps, a single window
    > with 10 tabs is far easier on your system resources then ten open windows.
    >
    > Lee
     
    C0mdrData, Oct 27, 2006
    #5
  6. Captain Infinity wrote:
    > Once Upon A Time LizzieB wrote:
    >
    >> I LOVE Firefox 2.0. LOved 1.5 as well. What I don't like are Tabs on
    >> any browser.
    >>
    >> Is there anyway of completely eliminating them?
    >>
    >> Any more bars and there won't be a screen left to see anything.

    >
    > If the tab bar cuts into your desired screen space, you can customize
    > the main toolbar by moving all the navigation toolbar items onto it, and
    > then turning off the (now empty) navigation toolbar. Results in exactly
    > the same screen size as no tabs, with no loss of any function.
    >
    >
    > **
    > Captain Infinity


    Maybe I'm misreading you, and I don't have 2.0 on this machine to test,
    but in 1.5.0.7, you cannot drag other toolbar items onto the tab bar.

    Lee
     
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 27, 2006
    #6
  7. Once Upon A Time Leonidas Jones wrote:

    >Captain Infinity wrote:
    >> Once Upon A Time LizzieB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I LOVE Firefox 2.0. LOved 1.5 as well. What I don't like are Tabs on
    >>> any browser.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anyway of completely eliminating them?
    >>>
    >>> Any more bars and there won't be a screen left to see anything.

    >>
    >> If the tab bar cuts into your desired screen space, you can customize
    >> the main toolbar by moving all the navigation toolbar items onto it, and
    >> then turning off the (now empty) navigation toolbar. Results in exactly
    >> the same screen size as no tabs, with no loss of any function.
    >>
    >>
    >> **
    >> Captain Infinity

    >
    >Maybe I'm misreading you, and I don't have 2.0 on this machine to test,
    >but in 1.5.0.7, you cannot drag other toolbar items onto the tab bar.


    Not the tab bar, the top toolbar. Right click on the main toolbar (the
    one with File, Edit, View, etc.) Select "Customize". You can add or
    subtract any function, and move items from toolbar to toolbar. I've
    moved all my Navigation bar items onto the main bar, shrunk my icons,
    de-viewed the empty Navigation bar, and installed the LittleFox theme,
    and now my toolbars take up a very minor portion of my screen. Here's a
    screen shot: http://captaininfinity.us/screenshot.jpg

    I've been doing it since version 1.


    **
    Captain Infinity
     
    Captain Infinity, Oct 28, 2006
    #7
  8. Captain Infinity wrote:
    > Once Upon A Time Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Captain Infinity wrote:
    >>> Once Upon A Time LizzieB wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I LOVE Firefox 2.0. LOved 1.5 as well. What I don't like are Tabs on
    >>>> any browser.
    >>>>
    >>>> Is there anyway of completely eliminating them?
    >>>>
    >>>> Any more bars and there won't be a screen left to see anything.
    >>> If the tab bar cuts into your desired screen space, you can customize
    >>> the main toolbar by moving all the navigation toolbar items onto it, and
    >>> then turning off the (now empty) navigation toolbar. Results in exactly
    >>> the same screen size as no tabs, with no loss of any function.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> **
    >>> Captain Infinity

    >> Maybe I'm misreading you, and I don't have 2.0 on this machine to test,
    >> but in 1.5.0.7, you cannot drag other toolbar items onto the tab bar.

    >
    > Not the tab bar, the top toolbar. Right click on the main toolbar (the
    > one with File, Edit, View, etc.) Select "Customize". You can add or
    > subtract any function, and move items from toolbar to toolbar. I've
    > moved all my Navigation bar items onto the main bar, shrunk my icons,
    > de-viewed the empty Navigation bar, and installed the LittleFox theme,
    > and now my toolbars take up a very minor portion of my screen. Here's a
    > screen shot: http://captaininfinity.us/screenshot.jpg
    >
    > I've been doing it since version 1.
    >
    >
    > **
    > Captain Infinity


    I thought I had misread you, just wanted to clarify! ;)

    Lee
     
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 28, 2006
    #8
  9. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Captain Infinity wrote:
    >> Once Upon A Time Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> Captain Infinity wrote:
    >>>> Once Upon A Time LizzieB wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I LOVE Firefox 2.0. LOved 1.5 as well. What I don't like are Tabs on
    >>>>> any browser.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Is there anyway of completely eliminating them?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Any more bars and there won't be a screen left to see anything.
    >>>> If the tab bar cuts into your desired screen space, you can customize
    >>>> the main toolbar by moving all the navigation toolbar items onto it,
    >>>> and
    >>>> then turning off the (now empty) navigation toolbar. Results in
    >>>> exactly
    >>>> the same screen size as no tabs, with no loss of any function.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> ** Captain Infinity
    >>> Maybe I'm misreading you, and I don't have 2.0 on this machine to
    >>> test, but in 1.5.0.7, you cannot drag other toolbar items onto the
    >>> tab bar.

    >>
    >> Not the tab bar, the top toolbar. Right click on the main toolbar (the
    >> one with File, Edit, View, etc.) Select "Customize". You can add or
    >> subtract any function, and move items from toolbar to toolbar. I've
    >> moved all my Navigation bar items onto the main bar, shrunk my icons,
    >> de-viewed the empty Navigation bar, and installed the LittleFox theme,
    >> and now my toolbars take up a very minor portion of my screen. Here's a
    >> screen shot: http://captaininfinity.us/screenshot.jpg
    >>
    >> I've been doing it since version 1.
    >>
    >>
    >> ** Captain Infinity

    >
    > I thought I had misread you, just wanted to clarify! ;)
    >
    > Lee


    Also, tehat bar is known as the menu bar. For users of Mac OSX, this is
    the application bar, abd you cannot drag items onto it. FOr Windows
    users, there a lot of wasted space there, and it worls very well.

    Lee
     
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 28, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Z2hvc3Q1NDg0?=

    No wireless network tabs in Network Connections

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2hvc3Q1NDg0?=, Jun 30, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    9,379
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=
    Jul 1, 2005
  2. area51
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    582
    area51
    Jan 12, 2004
  3. Holodoc

    How to send Group of tabs

    Holodoc, Jan 21, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    419
    Ed Mullen
    Jan 23, 2004
  4. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    6,596
    Jeepers Creepers
    Dec 30, 2006
  5. Ian

    Thermaltake ISGC Fan 12 120MM Fan

    Ian, Jun 22, 2009, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,069
Loading...

Share This Page