    week-long set of classes for MCDST OR just study the
    material on my own and then take the exam?

    Would the opted option land me a job? Thank you!
    Joe, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Joe

    T-Bone Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote
    > I want to get into IT but not sure where to start. Is
    > MSDST a good start? I don't have any IT experience but
    > have basic computer knowledge. Just graduated with a
    > degree in Technology and Information Managemt(TIM).

    Kip/Joe, I would suggest controlling your multiple personality disorder
    before pursuing any employment.

    > I have tremendous customer service experience-not in IT.
    > But interested in help desk position for the start.

    Chances are you will start with a helpdesk job, so any service related
    experience helps. As for the MCDST helping your chance, check around the
    jobs for your area and see what they are asking for. Most places that
    require certification are still requiring MCSE for an entry-level job.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thank you T-Bone. I haven't done any research yet to
    determine which kind of certification is req for entry
    level in my area. The next question is... even if the
    entry level cert is MCSE... should I just jump into this
    certification even if I don't have any IT experience?
    Given that I only have some basic computer knowledge,
    should I opt for traditional class setting or use the
    practise questions from different places to prepare for
    the exams.

    Thank you.

    Joe, Dec 25, 2004
  4. Joe

    T-Bone Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote
    > The next question is... even if the
    > entry level cert is MCSE... should I just jump into this
    > certification even if I don't have any IT experience?

    Unfortunately the MCSE doesn't require any experience. So if you think you
    would be interested in the type of job that an MCSE does, then go for it.
    However my advice to you is that if you can get a job without, you will find
    it easier if you already have some experience under your belt before you try
    for the MCSE.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, Dec 29, 2004
  5. Joe

    Graham Guest

    It really depends on the depth of your knowledge. I am an
    instructor for the DST and for CompTIA's A+/Net+ and to be
    honest with most delegates in your position the A+/Net+ is
    a better starting point.

    Your lack of knowledge in the industry will play against
    you quiet heavily I would suspect. Most employers now want
    both experience and certification so you will find yourself
    walking an interesting path for a while.

    As to which is the best study method, I would advocate some
    formal training, the problem with self study is that there
    is no one to ask when you get stuck on a point. There are
    a multidue of companies out there making all sorts of wild
    offers but is you want to try one that does what is says on
    the tin, tr The Training Camp, they have offices in the US,
    UK and Germany.

    Graham, Feb 3, 2005