    outrageous. Hoping someone has an idea.

    Gateway did not have a download for the modem that I could put on my comp;
    seemed to me my comp just doesn't recognize this hardware? Thx for any help!!
    =?Utf-8?B?RXN0ZXNQYXJrTGlvbmVzcw==?=, May 5, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RXN0ZXNQYXJrTGlvbmVzcw==?=

    Jim Guest

    "EstesParkLioness" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Have tried everything: Qwest techs spent 2hrs on phone & cannot help me:
    > have a Dell Dimension Ceeron Processor computer trying to hook to wireless
    > modem style 2700HGD & live in very small town: without spending another
    > $175
    > for a trip charge, does anyone have any ideas? All connected correct,
    > even
    > got a green ethernet flicker one day but never since: computer does not
    > read
    > that there is a modem attached. I've spent 100's of hours on
    > this......should I just send back the modem?--It works fine, just cannot
    > get
    > it connected thru my computer & the trip charge alone to get someone here
    > is
    > outrageous. Hoping someone has an idea.
    >
    > Gateway did not have a download for the modem that I could put on my comp;
    > seemed to me my comp just doesn't recognize this hardware? Thx for any
    > help!!

    If I understand what you posted, you have a wireless router with an internal
    modem.
    Regardless, there is an ethernet connection somewhere, and its light is not
    on.
    I don't believe that you will make any progress until the light comes on and
    stays on.

    If my understanding of your situation is correct, then the wireless router
    with internal modem is at fault.
    This is a condition that software cannot correct.
    Thus you should return the modem.

    Jim
    Jim, May 6, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RXN0ZXNQYXJrTGlvbmVzcw==?=

    Lem Guest

    EstesParkLioness wrote:
    > Have tried everything: Qwest techs spent 2hrs on phone & cannot help me: I
    > have a Dell Dimension Ceeron Processor computer trying to hook to wireless
    > modem style 2700HGD & live in very small town: without spending another $175
    > for a trip charge, does anyone have any ideas? All connected correct, even
    > got a green ethernet flicker one day but never since: computer does not read
    > that there is a modem attached. I've spent 100's of hours on
    > this......should I just send back the modem?--It works fine, just cannot get
    > it connected thru my computer & the trip charge alone to get someone here is
    > outrageous. Hoping someone has an idea.
    >
    > Gateway did not have a download for the modem that I could put on my comp;
    > seemed to me my comp just doesn't recognize this hardware? Thx for any help!!

    We can't determine what you mean when you say you've tried everything,
    and merely saying that "it doesn't work" isn't much help either.
    Neither is saying that the modem works fine but doesn't connect for you.
    I understand your frustration (and $175 is a ridiculous amount to pay
    for on-site help), but help us to help you.

    What were you looking for when you wrote "Gateway did not have a
    download for the modem that I could put on my comp" and why were you
    looking at Gateway?

    What are you using now to access the Internet?

    As near as I can determine, your 2700HG-D DSL "home portal" device is
    made by 2Wire and modified by Qwest. This is quite obscure, and there
    is no documentation specific to this device that I can find at the 2Wire
    site. The generic 2Wire 2700 installation guide is here:
    http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/5100-000415-000_Gateway_2000_IG_Rev_A.pdf
    and the manual is here:
    http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/5100-000326-000.Rev.A.pdf

    First of all, if your device gives you the option of connecting it to y
    our computer by using either USB or Ethernet, do NOT use USB.

    Are you connecting things as shown in Fig. 1 of the Install Guide linked
    above? And if so, is the Ethernet light on the front of the device
    solid green? Look at the back of your computer, where you connect the
    Ethernet cable. There should be a solid light there as well.

    Where are you looking when you say, "computer does not read that there
    is a modem attached"?

    If you open Network Connections (Control Panel > Network and Internet
    Connections > Network Connections), what do you see there? You should
    at least see "Local Area Connection" under the category "LAN or
    High-Speed Internet." What do you see if you double click on "Local
    Area Connection"? What shows on the "Support" tab? What about when you
    click on the "Properties" button?

    I assume you used the "Wizard" provided on the CD to setup the Internet
    service. What happened?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, May 6, 2007