No earpiece ringtone or voice (on pickup) on Betamax VOIP

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Fox, Oct 5, 2010.

  1. Fox

    Fox Guest

    I have been using SMSListo for quite some time now without any problems.
    I'm using a PAP2T and the configuration had not been altered for many
    months.

    About two weeks ago I started getting symptoms of one way audio on
    'some' calls. This would take the effect during an outgoing call of no
    ringing tone in my earpiece and no voice from the person I was calling,
    even though their phone rang normally and they could hear me.

    Here's the funny thing. Calls to some numbers (all routed via SMSListo)
    are perfect and behave normally. Calls to some exchanges exhibit the
    problem quite a lot of the time. For example, I know if I ring a certain
    friend of mine the call will always work perfectly but when my wife
    rings her sister it is 75/25 whether the problem occurs with failure
    being the higher figure.

    For the last two days I have chased my tail trying to find the solution.
    I've tried STUN on or off. Outbound proxy on or off. My PAP2T is
    behind a router so there is NAT transversal. I have tried another
    (cheaper Chinese) ATA and also a different router but the effect still
    occurs.

    Before I finally give up and go back permanently to Sipgate (which works
    perfectly) has anyone got any idea at all what might be happening?

    I'm inclined to think the problem lies with SMSListo but after Googling
    extensively can't find any other similar reports.

    Sorry for the long spiel.

    Fox.
    Fox, Oct 5, 2010

  2. Fox

    Bodincus Guest

    (05/10/10 16:05), Fox:
    > I have been using SMSListo for quite some time now without any problems.
    > I'm using a PAP2T and the configuration had not been altered for many
    > months.
    >
    > About two weeks ago I started getting symptoms of one way audio on
    > 'some' calls. This would take the effect during an outgoing call of no
    > ringing tone in my earpiece and no voice from the person I was calling,
    > even though their phone rang normally and they could hear me.
    >
    > Here's the funny thing. Calls to some numbers (all routed via SMSListo)
    > are perfect and behave normally. Calls to some exchanges exhibit the
    > problem quite a lot of the time. For example, I know if I ring a certain
    > friend of mine the call will always work perfectly but when my wife
    > rings her sister it is 75/25 whether the problem occurs with failure
    > being the higher figure.
    >
    > For the last two days I have chased my tail trying to find the solution.
    > I've tried STUN on or off. Outbound proxy on or off. My PAP2T is behind
    > a router so there is NAT transversal. I have tried another (cheaper
    > Chinese) ATA and also a different router but the effect still occurs.
    >
    > Before I finally give up and go back permanently to Sipgate (which works
    > perfectly) has anyone got any idea at all what might be happening?
    >
    > I'm inclined to think the problem lies with SMSListo but after Googling
    > extensively can't find any other similar reports.
    >
    > Sorry for the long spiel.
    >
    > Fox.

    SMSListo is using a dodgy route for the local area your wife's sister
    lives. Not your fault.
    If they can hear you but you can't hear them it's not a codec problem,
    it's a one-way RTP traffic problem.
    On the other hand, if both parts can't hear, try changing the order of
    preferred codecs on the PAP2T, or enable any disabled codecs.

    HTH
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ************************
    Bodincus, Oct 5, 2010

  3. Fox <> wrote:
    > I'm inclined to think the problem lies with SMSListo but after Googling
    > extensively can't find any other similar reports.

    Yes, I get exactly the same with Voipgain and PAP2. Haven't done any
    investigating.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Oct 7, 2010
  4. Fox

    Brian A Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 11:43:28 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

    > Fox <> wrote:
    >> I'm inclined to think the problem lies with SMSListo but after Googling
    >> extensively can't find any other similar reports.

    > Yes, I get exactly the same with Voipgain and PAP2. Haven't done any
    > investigating.
    >
    > Theo

    Sounds like you've tried a few things. As a last resort what about trying
    some port forwarding.? I use justvoip on a SPA-3000 & get no bother and
    have no port forwarding at all. On a previous router I had to do port
    forwarding. These were my old port forwards as a suggestion.

    Sip_Signalling 5060 5065 (or whatever ports you use)
    UDP_RTP 8000 26000
    UDP_TCP 3478 3478
    It'll be interesting to find out if this works as it may be useful for
    others with the same problem.
    --
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Running Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Long term Support). Very customisable,

    Brian A, Oct 7, 2010
  5. Fox

    Fox Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    > Sounds like you've tried a few things. As a last resort what about trying
    > some port forwarding.? I use justvoip on a SPA-3000 & get no bother and

    In between writing the original post and now, I have changed over from a
    PAP2 and DECT handset to a Siemens Gigaset A580IP. As I indicated in my
    original post the PAP2 had been working with SMSListo perfectly for
    months and only about two weeks ago began to misbehave.

    I spent yesterday installing the Gigaset A580IP. I set up two Sipgate
    numbers and two voip.co.uk numbers perfectly but could not get the
    SMSListo connection to work. Sometimes it wouldn't register and when it
    did the one way audio was usually back.

    Late yesterday afternoon I decided to try port forwarding. I set the
    router to forward UDP on ports 5060 and 5061 and UDP on ports 5004 to
    5020, which the Siemens is set to use for RTP data.

    I 'think' it is now working OK. I made a number of calls this morning
    and they seemed OK. I'm a bit hesitant to claim full success yet as
    everything was working fine up to two weeks ago and it just went wrong.

    Fox.
    Fox, Oct 7, 2010
  6. Fox

    Bodincus Guest

    (08/10/10 16:41), www.GymRatZ.co.uk:
    > On 07/10/2010 13:26, Fox wrote:
    >
    >> I 'think' it is now working OK. I made a number of calls this morning
    >> and they seemed OK. I'm a bit hesitant to claim full success yet as
    >> everything was working fine up to two weeks ago and it just went wrong.

    > I use Betamax clones for business and home and have had a lot of
    > problems over the last week, all the symptoms you describe however I was
    > also getting inbound problems all of which come in on voipfone numbers
    > hence my post a few days ago about changing ports on gigaset/router etc.
    >
    > I am still pushing all outbound calls through voipfone at the moment but
    > since doing all the suggestions Bodincus gave a few days ago we haven't
    > had any problems in or out. Might try Betamax again next week once
    > current changes have proved themselves as sorting out inbound problems.

    Glad to hear your problems are sorted out.

    I know sometimes my suggestions are counter-intuitive, or "belt and
    braces", but have proven to be effective on a number of occasions with
    many different types of hardware and provides.

    Because of my profession, I have a substantial experience (10+ years)
    with many PSTN and VoIP devices from different manufacturers, and know
    the "inner workings" of a many PSTN and VoIP providers.

    I have been working with ICT since the '80s, when a 300 bps V21 modem
    was a luxury; I was the first to own a 2400 bps full-duplex modem in my
    country; and I was the developer of part of the code for a Commodore 64
    accessory to connect it to an on-line system called "Videotel" - the
    equivalent of the now defunct Prestel you had here.

    I'm glad when my knowledge can be of use to solve pesky little problems,
    and I'm happy to provide my help here, free of charge.

    But as this same knowledge is also the breadwinner for my family, I'm
    afraid I can't help everybody indiscriminately or give free help to
    other "professionals" that scrape a living botching and cobbling up
    half-baked and ill-thought mash-ups (you know who you are!).

    I hope you'll appreciate I have to draw a line that I can't go beyond.

    Cheers
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ************************
    Bodincus, Oct 9, 2010
  7. Fox

    Fox Guest

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
    > On 07/10/2010 13:26, Fox wrote:

    > I use Betamax clones for business and home and have had a lot of
    > problems over the last week, all the symptoms you describe however I was
    > also getting inbound problems all of which come in on voipfone numbers
    > hence my post a few days ago about changing ports on gigaset/router etc.

    It's interesting that you started experiencing similar problems at about
    the same time. I wonder what changed?

    Mine seems to be OK now after carrying out port forwarding as suggested
    by Brian A. I never seemed to need it before with any combination of ATA
    or router on Betamax. I am uncertain if that was the actual cure or
    Betamax 'fixed' something at around the same time.

    I'm not inclined to revert back to the previous configuration to see as
    it may well incur the wrath of the family :-(

    Fox.
    Fox, Oct 9, 2010
  8. Fox

    Bodincus Guest

    (11/10/10 11:29), www.GymRatZ.co.uk:
    > Ah yes, the good old 80's that's when I moved from Agricultural
    > engineering into PC's and data comms etc thanks only to my interest in
    > Amateur Radio. All customer jobs were kept on 5 1/4" floppies in a
    > plastic lockable box !
    > Only PC we had was a Kaypro which was also our "portable" pc
    > http://socialchemy.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/kaypro1.jpg
    > :¬))

    I'm old enough to have used 8" floppy disks... 8¬@
    And the very first computer I used was the size of a large desk, with a
    green phosphor CRT, a keyboard taken from a telex machine, 64 KB of RAM
    and an obscure operating system that was able to load a BASIC or a
    FORTRAN interpreter from one 8" floppy and run a program from the second
    8" floppy.
    At the time it was used at my dad's office to produce the payslips.

    >> I'm glad when my knowledge can be of use to solve pesky little
    >> problems, and I'm happy to provide my help here, free of charge.
    >>
    >> But as this same knowledge is also the breadwinner for my family, I'm
    >> afraid I can't help everybody indiscriminately or give free help to
    >> other "professionals" that scrape a living botching and cobbling up
    >> half-baked and ill-thought mash-ups (you know who you are!).

    > Why not get the most from your posts by adding a signature block linking
    > to your business web-site etc. A post on true-usenet will get picked up
    > by an abundance of telecoms "scraper" sites etc giving valuable
    > publicity and inbound links from often highly visible pages. Thatway the
    > information you provide and the feedback it receives can be a testimony
    > too the depth and quality of your knowledge for potential future clients.
    >
    > I've been doing it for around 12 or 13 years and it's surprising just
    > what posts from the dim and distant past re-surface.
    > An anonymous post is a wasted post although deeply appreciated by those
    > it helps.
    > :¬)))

    I'm in two minds about this, as - yes - traffic to my websites is
    welcome, but I'm afraid of spambots and bad harvesters.
    What is your yield? How much "bad" traffic do you get on your websites?

    >> I hope you'll appreciate I have to draw a line that I can't go beyond.

    > Me, of course I do.
    > I would never post expecting personal fault finding in the same way I
    > wouldn't provide someone a personalised health and fitness
    > "consultation" but am more than happy to throw out general advice that
    > can be of benefit to a multitude of users.
    >
    > Thanks again for your valuable contributions to the group.
    > :¬)
    > Pete

    Thanks Pete, appreciated.
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ************************
    Bodincus, Oct 11, 2010
  9. Fox <> wrote:
    > I'm not inclined to revert back to the previous configuration to see as
    > it may well incur the wrath of the family :-(

    Yes, it's working for me now. I didn't change the configuration other than
    finding the PAP2 mains plug had fallen out so it got rebooted.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Oct 11, 2010
  10. In article <z%Bso.14105$2>,
    Bodincus <> wrote:

    >I'm in two minds about this, as - yes - traffic to my websites is=20
    >welcome, but I'm afraid of spambots and bad harvesters.

    I gave up worrying years ago and implemented good anti-spam procedures.
    I've had the same email address for 15 years now - it's well and truly
    embedded in every spam list there is, but I manage.

    I think we shouldn't be afraid of spammers, etc. just get on with
    what you need to do and let their email go to waste.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Oct 11, 2010
  11. Fox

    Bodincus Guest

    (11/10/10 21:03), www.GymRatZ.co.uk:
    > On 11/10/2010 19:41, Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> I think we shouldn't be afraid of spammers, etc. just get on with
    >> what you need to do and let their email go to waste.

    > Yep. I'm still using the same e-mail address after 11 years too.
    > Technology and hardware has improved significantly as has spam filtering
    > through the likes of spamassain etc.
    > I drop all server quantified SPAM to a gmail address which I
    > occasionally check, and have out rightly blacklisted e.g. anything from
    > .ru .cn etc waht little gets past then gets filtered by Thunderbird.
    > my Gmail box has a 30 day rolling spam content of 5000 to 6000 messages
    > but this doesn't cause any server loading at all.
    > Let the hardware and software do their job. the worse SPAM gets the
    > better the filtration gets.
    > :¬)
    > Pete
    > --
    > http://www.Commercial-Gym-Equipment.co.uk
    > for Commercial Gym Equipment and fitness stuff.

    You see Pete, I'm not concerned at all for spam - I'm a really old dog
    at this and I know my ropes - but I'm seriously concerned with the
    mental health of some frustrated little trolls that scour Usenet up and
    down to find a flame war to start, and they get so incensed in their
    little pointless wars that I seriously question their mental health.

    I don't want to give these little frustrated spotty kids an excuse to
    get out of their mum's basement to head off for my office to vent their
    unstable mental state rants.

    That's why I've been closing a balance about my presence in this NG, and
    it strikes me like a hammer blow in the face that I gave so much in
    return for nothing.

    My time is immensely more valuable, so is with great regret that I'm
    bidding you and the NG adieu.

    I know the trolls will now rejoice for their Final Victory, and take
    this as a retreat. Feel free to think what you want, the loss is yours,
    not mine.

    I get more time for my business, my family and my children, and at the
    same time get rid of some annoying little pimples.

    It's a win-win for me...

    Don't bother replying, I'm already unsubscribed.
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    Bodincus, Oct 12, 2010