    manage to get the MicroSoft bell to sound. When rebooting the M/S theme
    plays. Does anyone have any suggestions for tasks for me to perform to get
    the DVD audio back.
    Chas, Feb 12, 2012

  2. Chas

    Bville Guest

    Has the media you're trying to play worked in the past? Try a different
    one?

    I don't think DVD players come with installation disks.
    Bville, Feb 12, 2012

  3. Chas

    Paul Guest

    Chas wrote:
    > I have a LightScribe DVD Recorder/Player and recently I lost my audio from
    > it. I have uninstalled it several times and still no audio. It had worked
    > perfectly. I can't remember if the DVD came with a disc, but now I am
    > unable to locate one.
    > . . .Other than 'uninstalling' the DVD and rebooting and allowing the system
    > to find it to re-install it, My soundcard is a 'Realtek HD Audio. I did
    > manage to get the MicroSoft bell to sound. When rebooting the M/S theme
    > plays. Does anyone have any suggestions for tasks for me to perform to get
    > the DVD audio back.

    There is DVD audio...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_audio

    Whereas CD audio is a much simpler scheme. The necessary ingredient with
    CD audio, is the Device Manager property box with the digital audio extraction
    tick box.

    "Enable digital cd audio for this cd-rom device"

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...p;cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&docname=bph07155

    So which of the two are you after. Are you inserting a music CD into
    the CD/DVD burner and trying to play it ? If so, you might try the second link.

    I don't know anything about setting up the first link. I've never
    seen such a disc (actual DVD audio format, dripping in DRM).

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 12, 2012
  4. Chas

    kelly Guest

    On Feb 12, 9:36 pm, "Chas" <> wrote:
    > I have a LightScribe DVD Recorder/Player and recently I lost my audio from
    > it.  I have uninstalled it several times and still no audio.  It had worked
    > perfectly.  I can't remember if the DVD came with a disc, but now I am
    > unable to locate one.
    > . . .Other than 'uninstalling' the DVD and rebooting and allowing the system
    > to find it to re-install it,   My soundcard is a 'Realtek HD Audio.  I did
    > manage to get the MicroSoft bell to sound.  When rebooting the M/S theme
    > plays.  Does anyone have any suggestions for tasks for me to perform toget
    > the DVD audio back.

    http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/windows/index.aspx?id=810
    Gives you a download (.exe size 13+ .mb) I downloaded it to check for
    nasties. Ran it by Malwarebytes & AVG. Came out clean. Have a look
    yourself, Chas. I don't have a LS player.
    Good luck.
    kelly, Feb 13, 2012
  5. Chas

    Chas Guest

    Thanks for my solution

    I had somehow changed the setting to 'analog' and that was the culprit.
    Thanks to 1 & all for the help. . .chas

    Chas, Feb 20, 2012
  6. Chas

    VanguardLH Guest

    Re: Thanks for my solution

    Chas wrote:

    > I had somehow changed the setting to 'analog' and that was the culprit.

    Analog would work if you have the thin 2- to 4-wire cable running from
    the 4-pin header on the CD/DVD drive (analog output) to a 4-pin
    motherboard header (analog input, often labelled CDaudio or CD1). If
    that is absent then you must have the audio/video transferred over the
    digital connection (IDE ribbon or SATA cable).

    Using the digital transfer over data cable eliminates having to do the
    [usually poor quality] digital-to-analog conversion at the optical drive
    and then convert analog back to digital at the mobo header; i.e., the
    content gets read as digital data, transferred as digital data, and
    received as digital data without the nuisance and quality loss of having
    to perform multiple conversions. Also, since you need the data/control
    cable to operate the device, you already have the transfer path for the
    content.

    Unless you had been fiddling with the device's properties in Device
    Manager, I don't see how this setting would've been "accidentally"
    changed from analog to digital (by enabling a previously disable
    configuration option in the device's properties). Did the "sudden" loss
    occur after you let someone else play with your computer? If there are
    others that have physical access to your computer, do you have a secure
    password on your Windows account and either log out/off or use a screen
    saver (with short idle timeout) to prevent others from covertly using
    your computer?
    VanguardLH, Feb 26, 2012