    can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
    on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

    , Aug 2, 2007

  2. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
    > turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
    > can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
    > on green. Is my video card dead?

    What happens if you unplug the power and connectivity for the new DVD
    burner?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 2, 2007

  3. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
    > turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
    > can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
    > on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

    The first and only clue being you performed a hardware upgrade with
    a DVD burner, so you opened the tower and installed it - now open it
    again and make sure you haven't dislodged anything, ensure all is fully
    bedded in their slots, specifically the graphics card.
    You supply no info, PCI-express? Win? Installed the burner as slave on
    the primary IDE? Or master on second IDE? Did you make the right
    connections for the burner - audio to the soundcard? Etc Etc

    As for your monitor "flashing on green", nope that dosen't sound
    too good but you supply no details of your monitor nor how it is connected
    to your graphics card etc etc

    ded, Aug 2, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Aug 2, 6:45 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,
    > > After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
    > > turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
    > > can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
    > > on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

    > The first and only clue being you performed a hardware upgrade with
    > a DVD burner, so you opened the tower and installed it - now open it
    > again and make sure you haven't dislodged anything, ensure all is fully
    > bedded in their slots, specifically the graphics card.
    > You supply no info, PCI-express? Win? Installed the burner as slave on
    > the primary IDE? Or master on second IDE? Did you make the right
    > connections for the burner - audio to the soundcard? Etc Etc
    >
    > As for your monitor "flashing on green", nope that dosen't sound
    > too good but you supply no details of your monitor nor how it is connected
    > to your graphics card etc etc

    Thanksfor the reply. Here is more information. The dvd burner I
    installed is the 2nd one. But even after I unplug the two dvd burners,
    it's same. No display one the monitor. The mother board is ASUS A8N-
    SLI. The video card is GEForce 7600GT installed on PCI Express 16. I
    only have one hdd installed. Let me know if the information is enough.

    , Aug 3, 2007
  5. Buffalo Guest

    wrote:
    > On Aug 2, 6:45 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi,
    >>> After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing
    >>> after turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine
    >>> since I can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is
    >>> flashing on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

    With the power off, take out the video card and then put it back in.
    It possible that you accidently bumped or nudged the vid card and it is not
    fully seated.
    Any extra beeps when you start the computer?
    If you have an extra power connector on your vid card, make sure it is still
    plugged in .

    Buffalo, Aug 3, 2007
  6. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
    > turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
    > can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
    > on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

    So have you checked if the video cable between computer and monitor is
    secure on both ends?

    Vanguard, Aug 3, 2007
  7. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 2, 6:45 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > Hi,
    >> > After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
    >> > turn on the pc. The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
    >> > can here the sound when windows start. The monitor light is flashing
    >> > on green. Is my video card dead? Thanks for your help.

    >> The first and only clue being you performed a hardware upgrade with
    >> a DVD burner, so you opened the tower and installed it - now open it
    >> again and make sure you haven't dislodged anything, ensure all is fully
    >> bedded in their slots, specifically the graphics card.
    >> You supply no info, PCI-express? Win? Installed the burner as slave on
    >> the primary IDE? Or master on second IDE? Did you make the right
    >> connections for the burner - audio to the soundcard? Etc Etc
    >>
    >> As for your monitor "flashing on green", nope that dosen't sound
    >> too good but you supply no details of your monitor nor how it is
    >> connected
    >> to your graphics card etc etc

    > Thanksfor the reply. Here is more information. The dvd burner I
    > installed is the 2nd one. But even after I unplug the two dvd burners,
    > it's same. No display one the monitor. The mother board is ASUS A8N-
    > SLI. The video card is GEForce 7600GT installed on PCI Express 16. I
    > only have one hdd installed. Let me know if the information is enough.

    As the problem occurred after you performed a hardware upgrade
    I would suspect that is involved and is the cause.
    You've checked all connections and tried reseating all cards, including
    memory modules?
    It's not possible to discern from your post what the configuration was,
    the install was a second DVD burner - was that on same IDE channel
    as the HD, or are the two burners on same IDE channel?
    Or were the HD and original burner as master/slave on primary,
    and the new burner is master on second IDE channel?
    On the burner you installed, what setting on rear panel, did you
    configure it as - master or slave?
    Were you grounded during the installation?
    When you say you "unplug the two dvd burners", the thing to do is
    is fully disconnect the new DVD, disconnect from IDE channel, power
    supply, and soundcard, so the PC is back to the exact configuration
    prior to the install. Then try, if it now boots then it was your install
    that
    was the problem, if it still dosen't boot then something else is wrong.

    The "flashing green" on your monitor:
    Turn monitor off, then turn on, normally with most models when powered
    on will briefly display "No signal" (Or similar) if there is no connection
    or
    PC is shutdown. (Try to discern if monitor is receiving a signal from the
    graphics card)
    The "flashing green" seems to indicate something is wrong.
    What model is it, I'll look it up and see what a "flashing green light"
    means?

    ded, Aug 3, 2007
  8. ded Guest

    snipped

    If you meant that the monitors power-on indicator is alternatively
    blinking green/yellow, then that indicates no signal is being received.

    ded, Aug 3, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Aug 3, 4:15 am, "ded" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Aug 2, 6:45 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> The first and only clue being you performed a hardware upgrade with
    > >> a DVD burner, so you opened the tower and installed it - now open it
    > >> again and make sure you haven't dislodged anything, ensure all is fully
    > >> bedded in their slots, specifically the graphics card.
    > >> You supply no info, PCI-express? Win? Installed the burner as slave on
    > >> the primary IDE? Or master on second IDE? Did you make the right
    > >> connections for the burner - audio to the soundcard? Etc Etc

    > >> As for your monitor "flashing on green", nope that dosen't sound
    > >> too good but you supply no details of your monitor nor how it is
    > >> connected
    > >> to your graphics card etc etc

    > > Thanksfor the reply. Here is more information. The dvd burner I
    > > installed is the 2nd one. But even after I unplug the two dvd burners,
    > > it's same. No display one the monitor. The mother board is ASUS A8N-
    > > SLI. The video card is GEForce 7600GT installed on PCI Express 16. I
    > > only have one hdd installed. Let me know if the information is enough.

    > As the problem occurred after you performed a hardware upgrade
    > I would suspect that is involved and is the cause.
    > You've checked all connections and tried reseating all cards, including
    > memory modules?
    > It's not possible to discern from your post what the configuration was,
    > the install was a second DVD burner - was that on same IDE channel
    > as the HD, or are the two burners on same IDE channel?
    > Or were the HD and original burner as master/slave on primary,
    > and the new burner is master on second IDE channel?
    > On the burner you installed, what setting on rear panel, did you
    > configure it as - master or slave?
    > Were you grounded during the installation?
    > When you say you "unplug the two dvd burners", the thing to do is
    > is fully disconnect the new DVD, disconnect from IDE channel, power
    > supply, and soundcard, so the PC is back to the exact configuration
    > prior to the install. Then try, if it now boots then it was your install
    > that
    > was the problem, if it still dosen't boot then something else is wrong.
    >
    > The "flashing green" on your monitor:
    > Turn monitor off, then turn on, normally with most models when powered
    > on will briefly display "No signal" (Or similar) if there is no connection
    > or
    > PC is shutdown. (Try to discern if monitor is receiving a signal from the
    > graphics card)
    > The "flashing green" seems to indicate something is wrong.
    > What model is it, I'll look it up and see what a "flashing green light"
    > means?- Hide quoted text -

    Two dvd burner is in a IDE channel, the hdd is in another IDE channel.
    Even after I unplugged both dvd burner from IDE channel, and power
    cables. There is still nothing shown up on monitor. The flashing green
    light is like when pc on stand by mode. I already make sure both ends
    of connection to pc and monitor are tight and secure. I will replug
    the video card tonight.

    , Aug 3, 2007
  10. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 3, 4:15 am, "ded" <> wrote:

    > Two dvd burner is in a IDE channel, the hdd is in another IDE channel.
    > Even after I unplugged both dvd burner from IDE channel, and power
    > cables. There is still nothing shown up on monitor. The flashing green
    > light is like when pc on stand by mode. I already make sure both ends
    > of connection to pc and monitor are tight and secure. I will replug
    > the video card tonight.

    No no no, put PC back exactly as it was configured prior to the install
    of second DVD.
    I don't think you understood the master/slave setting question, I bet
    you had both DVD burners set as master on the second IDE channel.
    I think you have now probably removed the ribbon cable from the IDE
    connection on the MoBo.
    Your PC is configured to go through a process during boot that involves
    scanning the original DVD drive prior to the HD, you've now removed
    that DVD drive and the process cannot complete.
    Remove all connections to the new DVD burner.
    Reconnect the *original* DVD burner exactly as it was before, that is as
    master on the second IDE channel.

    Were you grounded when meddling with the innards, were you aware
    of any static discharge - did you get a shock?

    ded, Aug 3, 2007
  11. Guest

    On Aug 3, 1:39 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Aug 3, 4:15 am, "ded" <> wrote:

    > > Two dvd burner is in a IDE channel, the hdd is in another IDE channel.
    > > Even after I unplugged both dvd burner from IDE channel, and power
    > > cables. There is still nothing shown up on monitor. The flashing green
    > > light is like when pc on stand by mode. I already make sure both ends
    > > of connection to pc and monitor are tight and secure. I will replug
    > > the video card tonight.

    > No no no, put PC back exactly as it was configured prior to the install
    > of second DVD.
    > I don't think you understood the master/slave setting question, I bet
    > you had both DVD burners set as master on the second IDE channel.
    > I think you have now probably removed the ribbon cable from the IDE
    > connection on the MoBo.
    > Your PC is configured to go through a process during boot that involves
    > scanning the original DVD drive prior to the HD, you've now removed
    > that DVD drive and the process cannot complete.
    > Remove all connections to the new DVD burner.
    > Reconnect the *original* DVD burner exactly as it was before, that is as
    > master on the second IDE channel.
    >
    > Were you grounded when meddling with the innards, were you aware
    > of any static discharge - did you get a shock?

    I don't think I had any static dscharge or shock. I will try to put
    original DVD burner back as you said and see if it will work.

    , Aug 3, 2007
  12. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 3, 1:39 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > On Aug 3, 4:15 am, "ded" <> wrote:

    > I don't think I had any static dscharge or shock. I will try to put
    > original DVD burner back as you said and see if it will work.

    OK, lets try and go thru this one stage at a time.
    The DVD burner already installed was on the second IDE channel
    so that was set as master. When you installed the new DVD burner
    onto the same IDE channel, did you configure it as Slave?
    That is, did you change the slot-in pin adapter on rear panel of
    burner so it was set as slave? (Which you should have done.)

    ded, Aug 3, 2007
  13. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > After installing a new dvd burner, my monitor is showing nothing after
    > turn on the pc.

    And, if you remove the connections to the new dvd burner, the monitor
    still doesn't work.

    > The hdd, ram, mother board should work fine since I
    > can here the sound when windows start.

    That is a useful observation.

    > The monitor light is flashing
    > on green.

    .... which you said is the way your monitor light behaves on standby,
    when it is not getting video signal.

    > Is my video card dead?

    So far, if your video card is properly seated and your monitor
    connected, it could be anywhere from the mobo's video to the video card
    to the monitor. If you have spare 'parts' you could swap the monitor
    and/or the video card. If you don't have spare parts, you will have to
    have a tech place with parts do the troubleshooting.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 3, 2007