    is in India.

    Thanks,
    Dave

    Dave Boland, Nov 5, 2006

  2. Dave Boland

    Baron Guest

    Dave Boland wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > While at Best Buy recently I was told computers no longer
    > come with CD/DVD with OS and app's (most junk anyway). Is
    > this just a Best Buy issue, or real?
    >
    > If it is wide spread, what does one do to insure that the OS
    > and apps can be restored?
    >
    > While on the subject, what generally is the opinion of Best
    > Buy, e-machines, Compaq, and HP products? I know every
    > mfg'r. has a bad product once in a while, and most support
    > is in India.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    Thats pretty standard nowadays ! They stick a hidden partition on the
    hard drive with all the stuff on it ! You're expected to back it up
    and/or create your own restore disks. Emachines are crap ! You will
    be lucky to get more than 2years out of it before the mainboard fails !
    At least HP/Compaq will run and run. There is always Dell. Depends on
    what you want really.

    --
    Baron:

    Baron, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Dave Boland

    Dave Boland Guest

    Dave Boland wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > While at Best Buy recently I was told computers no longer come with
    > CD/DVD with OS and app's (most junk anyway). Is this just a Best Buy
    > issue, or real?
    >
    > If it is wide spread, what does one do to insure that the OS and apps
    > can be restored?
    >
    > While on the subject, what generally is the opinion of Best Buy,
    > e-machines, Compaq, and HP products? I know every mfg'r. has a bad
    > product once in a while, and most support is in India.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    Since this seems to be an industry trend, how does one make
    a backup of the O.S. I have had to reload every version of
    Windows at one time or another, and I want the CD/DVD in
    case the problem is a damaged hard drive.

    Thanks,
    Dave

    Dave Boland, Nov 8, 2006
  4. Dave Boland

    - Bobb - Guest

    Usually the PC ships ( used to ) with a paper that unfolds that shows
    how to plug it in/ set it up and make the backup CD. If you order
    online, some companies have it as an option for $10 - or you can call
    and order it online. Otherwise ...

    In general, there is an area on the disk drive that has " the CD info"
    on it.
    If you have no paperwork , open
    My computer - then D and look for a "backup" folder and the probably a
    README.TXT file explaining how to do it.
    So with the "factory software" (= " the CD" ) and your backup also saved
    on D - which you can choose to do manually, it "gets it back to the way
    it was".

    Yo can check here for different options with HP
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=96382&prodTypeId=12454&supportTaskId=11987

    Dell is similiar, BUT for all of them the " non-CD solution " is only as
    good as long as the original drive does not die. If you were to remove
    the factory drive - and not copy it - you are toast if you then have a
    problem. By all means when you buy a new PC order the CD's from the
    factory. I've done that with Compaq PC's that I've bought at retail. I
    went right to their website - got the part number and ordered it online
    ( for $10).

    - Bobb -, Nov 9, 2006
  5. Dave Boland

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 23:34:52 +0000, Baron wrote:

    > Dave Boland wrote:

    Emachines are crap ! You will
    > be lucky to get more than 2years out of it before the mainboard fails !
    > At least HP/Compaq will run and run. There is always Dell. Depends on
    > what you want really.

    HP Pavilion XT933 with a Trigem Model Santafe-MV MicroATX, same board as
    used in Emachines. I've bought 4 Emachines over the last 6 years and all
    but the oldest one is still being used and that one was a 333 Cyrix. I
    stripped it for parts about a year ago and gave the rest to the recyclers.

    JTJersey, Nov 9, 2006
  6. Dave Boland

    Dave Boland Guest

    Thanks Bob and everyone else!

    Dave,

    Dave Boland, Nov 9, 2006
  7. Dave Boland

    Baron Guest

    JTJersey wrote:

    > On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 23:34:52 +0000, Baron wrote:
    >
    >> Dave Boland wrote:
    >>

    > Emachines are crap ! You will
    >> be lucky to get more than 2years out of it before the mainboard fails
    >> !
    >> At least HP/Compaq will run and run. There is always Dell. Depends
    >> on what you want really.
    >>

    > HP Pavilion XT933 with a Trigem Model Santafe-MV MicroATX, same board
    > as
    > used in Emachines. I've bought 4 Emachines over the last 6 years and
    > all but the oldest one is still being used and that one was a 333
    > Cyrix. I stripped it for parts about a year ago and gave the rest to
    > the recyclers.

    I've had more than twenty intel based Emachines through here since
    January all with failed mainboards, all around 24 - 27 months old !

    Not seen a Compaq or HP during this time. Although I admit a HP came in
    this morning, looks like a video card failure though !

    --
    Baron:

    Baron, Nov 9, 2006
  8. Dave Boland

    grappletech Guest

    > I've had more than twenty intel based Emachines through here since
    > January all with failed mainboards, all around 24 - 27 months old !
    > Not seen a Compaq or HP during this time. Although I admit a HP came in
    > this morning, looks like a video card failure though !

    I've been using mostly HP's with a couple of Compaqs/Dells occasionally
    over the past 10 years. Never had a SINGLE hardware failure of any kind.
    That may be due to the fact that I buy used corporate style machines off
    ebay -- like HP Vectra, e-pc, etc. and not the consumer type machines. The
    BEST bang for the buck is to buy a used 3 year old corporate level HP PC
    off ebay for $120-$150 or so.

    grappletech, Nov 10, 2006
  9. Dave Boland

    Baron Guest

    grappletech wrote:

    >> I've had more than twenty intel based Emachines through here since
    >> January all with failed mainboards, all around 24 - 27 months old !
    >> Not seen a Compaq or HP during this time. Although I admit a HP came
    >> in this morning, looks like a video card failure though !

    > I've been using mostly HP's with a couple of Compaqs/Dells
    > occasionally
    > over the past 10 years. Never had a SINGLE hardware failure of any
    > kind. That may be due to the fact that I buy used corporate style
    > machines off ebay -- like HP Vectra, e-pc, etc. and not the consumer
    > type machines.

    I just scrapped 70 HP Vectra machines, pity their not a standard PSU !

    > The BEST bang for the buck is to buy a used 3 year old corporate
    > level HP PC off ebay for $120-$150 or so.

    I've no problem with that ! But I don't get to choose what other people
    buy !!

    --
    Baron:

    Baron, Nov 10, 2006