    ever be able to reinstall this program? Of course, if I had the discs,
    reinstalling a program wouldn't be a problem, but how do you get on when you
    weren't supplied with any discs?

    JB, Mar 30, 2006

  2. JB

    XPD Guest

    "JB" <> wrote in message news:442b2f42$...
    > My new laptop came with heaps of nice preinstalled software, but alas no
    > discs. I have heard this is becoming standard practice these days in order
    > to keep prices down. So I guess this means the average user would find it
    > pretty difficult to use this software on other computers?
    >
    > Now if I uninstall a program, does this mean that, in the future, I won't
    > ever be able to reinstall this program? Of course, if I had the discs,
    > reinstalling a program wouldn't be a problem, but how do you get on when
    > you weren't supplied with any discs?

    Did they supply at least a system restore disc ? If so, youll probably find
    all the software is already part of that.

    XPD, Mar 30, 2006

  3. JB

    EMB Guest

    JB wrote:
    > My new laptop came with heaps of nice preinstalled software, but alas no
    > discs. I have heard this is becoming standard practice these days in order
    > to keep prices down. So I guess this means the average user would find it
    > pretty difficult to use this software on other computers?
    >
    > Now if I uninstall a program, does this mean that, in the future, I won't
    > ever be able to reinstall this program? Of course, if I had the discs,
    > reinstalling a program wouldn't be a problem, but how do you get on when you
    > weren't supplied with any discs?

    Current IBM laptops come with a utility to burn install discs for your
    system from the restore partition. I'd expect other brands would have
    something similar.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 30, 2006
  4. JB

    will Guest

    my Toshiba comes with a utility which allows you to create a couple of
    Recovery CDs from a secret partition already in the HDD. Those CDs will
    restore your laptop back to factory setup.

    however your concern is still valid, because it is now almost
    impossible to install one of those software individually.

    cheers,

    will.
    -------
    Fancy Swapping Games? http://gamehub.lovedew.com/

    will, Mar 30, 2006
  5. JB

    Guest

    JB wrote:

    > My new laptop came with heaps of nice preinstalled software, but alas no
    > discs. I have heard this is becoming standard practice these days in order
    > to keep prices down. So I guess this means the average user would find it
    > pretty difficult to use this software on other computers?
    >
    > Now if I uninstall a program, does this mean that, in the future, I won't
    > ever be able to reinstall this program? Of course, if I had the discs,
    > reinstalling a program wouldn't be a problem, but how do you get on when you
    > weren't supplied with any discs?

    Howdy JB,

    Would you mind telling us the make/model of you laptop and where you
    purchased it.

    I'll soon be looking for a new one but will most likely want to have
    the "uninstall - reinstall at a later date" option.

    Thanks.

    Regards
    Miguel

    , Mar 30, 2006
  6. JB

    brazen Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > JB wrote:
    >> My new laptop came with heaps of nice preinstalled software, but alas no
    >> discs. I have heard this is becoming standard practice these days in
    >> order to keep prices down. So I guess this means the average user would
    >> find it pretty difficult to use this software on other computers?
    >>
    >> Now if I uninstall a program, does this mean that, in the future, I won't
    >> ever be able to reinstall this program? Of course, if I had the discs,
    >> reinstalling a program wouldn't be a problem, but how do you get on when
    >> you weren't supplied with any discs?

    > Current IBM laptops come with a utility to burn install discs for your
    > system from the restore partition. I'd expect other brands would have
    > something similar.

    Mmm, my new sony vaio had the same - took 7 cds.

    With win xp pro, but no certificate, number sticker anything apart from what
    is on the laptop.

    Gay

    brazen, Mar 30, 2006
  7. JB

    JB Guest

    "will" <> wrote in message
    > my Toshiba comes with a utility which allows you to create a couple of
    > Recovery CDs from a secret partition already in the HDD. Those CDs will
    > restore your laptop back to factory setup.
    >
    > however your concern is still valid, because it is now almost
    > impossible to install one of those software individually.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > will.
    > -------
    > Fancy Swapping Games? http://gamehub.lovedew.com/

    Thanks for your replies. Yes my Sony Vaio is set up in a similar way. It has
    one hard 60 gig hard disc with 3 partitions. It has a working C drive where
    most applications and data are stored by default. In the event of a system
    recovery, this partition is cleaned of all data. It has a working D Drive,
    which after a standard system recovery, data on this drive is saved. It also
    has a hidden recovery partition containing recovery files and tools. I have
    now made a recovery disc on a DVD. The laptop did not come with a recovery
    disc, but the instructions recommend that you make one for yourself. Sony
    recommends that you use D drive for storing all data.

    I would guess that the recovery disc would not be compatible with other
    computers, so you would be limited to using your software on one computer,
    is this correct? (I am not very impressed with this!) I haven't tried
    running the recovery disk, but I would agree with your comment that it would
    probably reinstall ALL the software that came with the computer and would
    not allow you to reinstall just ONE program.

    I am very impressed with the software, it even includes the full version of
    the video editing program Adobe Premiere Standard and it has Photoshop
    Elements and Windows XP Professional as well. However, I suppose if you were
    to make a fuss, Sony would be obliged to supply all the software discs. It
    is rather misleading advertising of the product NOT to do so wouldn't you
    say?

    J B

    JB, Mar 30, 2006
  8. JB

    will Guest

    >I would guess that the recovery disc would not be compatible with other
    >computers, so you would be limited to using your software on one computer,

    #### i haven't tried the Toshiba Recovery CD on another system, in fact
    i haven't had the need to do a restore yet.

    however on my old AcerPower desktop, it comes with a Win98 Recovery CD
    which when booted on anything else, will ask where my AcerPower is. i
    would assume any new Recovery CD will do the same if not something
    stricter.

    i'm not sure if Sony will honour those "free" software though,
    admittedly it's a grey area, and the problem is Sony might have problem
    sourcing the actual software CDs!

    will.
    -------
    Fancy Swapping Games? http://gamehub.lovedew.com/

    will, Mar 30, 2006
  9. JB

    SchoolTech Guest

    JB wrote:
    > "will" <> wrote in message
    >> my Toshiba comes with a utility which allows you to create a couple of
    >> Recovery CDs from a secret partition already in the HDD. Those CDs will
    >> restore your laptop back to factory setup.
    >>
    >> however your concern is still valid, because it is now almost
    >> impossible to install one of those software individually.
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >>
    >> will.
    >> -------
    >> Fancy Swapping Games? http://gamehub.lovedew.com/

    > Thanks for your replies. Yes my Sony Vaio is set up in a similar way. It has
    > one hard 60 gig hard disc with 3 partitions. It has a working C drive where
    > most applications and data are stored by default. In the event of a system
    > recovery, this partition is cleaned of all data. It has a working D Drive,
    > which after a standard system recovery, data on this drive is saved. It also
    > has a hidden recovery partition containing recovery files and tools. I have
    > now made a recovery disc on a DVD. The laptop did not come with a recovery
    > disc, but the instructions recommend that you make one for yourself. Sony
    > recommends that you use D drive for storing all data.
    >
    > I would guess that the recovery disc would not be compatible with other
    > computers, so you would be limited to using your software on one computer,
    > is this correct? (I am not very impressed with this!)

    If you bought it as OEM license then that is the terms of the license.
    OEM license is significantly cheaper than retail so it is what you get
    for the cheaper cost.

    I haven't tried
    > running the recovery disk, but I would agree with your comment that it would
    > probably reinstall ALL the software that came with the computer and would
    > not allow you to reinstall just ONE program.
    >
    > I am very impressed with the software, it even includes the full version of
    > the video editing program Adobe Premiere Standard and it has Photoshop
    > Elements and Windows XP Professional as well. However, I suppose if you were
    > to make a fuss, Sony would be obliged to supply all the software discs. It
    > is rather misleading advertising of the product NOT to do so wouldn't you
    > say?

    Brand name systems standard practice is to supply system recovery discs.

    SchoolTech, Mar 30, 2006
  10. JB

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <442b54d2$>, "JB" <> wrote:

    >I would guess that the recovery disc would not be compatible with other
    >computers, so you would be limited to using your software on one computer,
    >is this correct? (I am not very impressed with this!)

    You got what you paid for. Most OEM software licenses are tied to the
    specific machine. The software vendor charges less for the software if this
    is done. The license is attached to the machine cover to enforce this rule.
    If you want versions of the software that can be swapped to another machine,
    you need to buy the "retail" versions that aren't bundled with a machine. Of
    course, these cost more.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Mar 30, 2006
  11. "Don Hills" <> wrote in message
    > In article <442b54d2$>, "JB" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>I would guess that the recovery disc would not be compatible with other
    >>computers, so you would be limited to using your software on one computer,
    >>is this correct? (I am not very impressed with this!)

    > You got what you paid for. Most OEM software licenses are tied to the
    > specific machine. The software vendor charges less for the software if
    > this
    > is done. The license is attached to the machine cover to enforce this
    > rule.
    > If you want versions of the software that can be swapped to another
    > machine,
    > you need to buy the "retail" versions that aren't bundled with a machine.
    > Of
    > course, these cost more.

    A year ago when I bought a new desktop computer, I got all the software
    discs, so it seems that policies may vary between retailers. Ask before
    buying if you want the original discs.

    M F J K Johnson-Jones, Mar 31, 2006
  12. JB

    JB Guest

    "M F J K Johnson-Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Don Hills" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <442b54d2$>, "JB" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I would guess that the recovery disc would not be compatible with other
    >>>computers, so you would be limited to using your software on one
    >>>computer,
    >>>is this correct? (I am not very impressed with this!)

    >> You got what you paid for. Most OEM software licenses are tied to the
    >> specific machine. The software vendor charges less for the software if
    >> this
    >> is done. The license is attached to the machine cover to enforce this
    >> rule.
    >> If you want versions of the software that can be swapped to another
    >> machine,
    >> you need to buy the "retail" versions that aren't bundled with a machine.
    >> Of
    >> course, these cost more.

    > A year ago when I bought a new desktop computer, I got all the software
    > discs, so it seems that policies may vary between retailers. Ask before
    > buying if you want the original discs.

    I don't think it should be necessary to ask before buying. If discs aren't
    supplied, the advertising should say this, and there should be a large
    notice on the outside of the box that warns people about this. Who wants to
    buy software that doesn't come with dedicated program discs? I think the
    practice of not supplying discs, and not (in effect) allowing the software
    on more than one computer, breaches NZ's fair trading laws if the
    advertising of the product does not make this fact very clear.

    JB, Mar 31, 2006