No DirectX 10 for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Stroppy, May 26, 2006.

  1. Stroppy

    Stroppy Guest

    Hi,

    Reading Andre, I think I understood that there won't be any path between
    XP64 and Vista 64.

    Now I can see I won't get the most advantages of the new GPUs in the near
    future without buying Vista:

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20060525104034.html

    I'm quite disappointed about this;

    I agree that everything must go ahead but former DirectX lasted a bit longer
    for different OS in the same time.

    Cheers.

    Stroppy, May 26, 2006

  2. I think DirectX 10 has some features that just can't be made possible on XP,
    thats why its a Vista only feature.
    Here is a great article that explains it all:
    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA0NSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

    Remember to copy those to equals into your address bar.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 26, 2006

  3. Direct3D 10 is built on the new Windows Vista Display Driver Model. This
    means that Windows XP's Windows Driver Model does not have any of the
    required support, nor the architectural underpinnings, that are part of the
    complete revamp of the handling of video cards for Windows Vista.

    Direct3D 10 is not an incremental update like most of the recent versions.
    It is a complete redesign of the graphics API, feature set, functionality,
    performance, and capability of the GPU and it's relationship to the general
    OS. Direct3D 9 is and will remain an important API for Windows XP and
    Windows Vista, but the next generation of games will be able to do much more
    with Direct3D 10 on Windows Vista with the next generation of Direct3D
    hardware.

    For more information, check out the GDC 2006 presentation "Introduction to
    Direct3D 10"

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/presentations/

    --
    Chuck Walbourn