No Direct3D ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by A. J. Moss, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. A. J. Moss

    A. J. Moss Guest

    I built a computer for my parents, based around the following:

    Abit KT7-RAID mobo
    Unlocked Athlon T'bird 1400 CPU
    OEM GeForce2 Pro graphics card (64M DDRAM)
    Cheap Gamesurround 6-speaker sound card (C-Media 8738 chipset)
    Cheap Intel controllerless (host-assisted) modem
    Western Digital 20Gb WD200BB hard disk
    Lite-on 52x24x52x CDRW
    Asus 16x48x DVD-ROM
    Generic 300W PSU

    Windows 98SE
    Drivers for the above listed hardware
    A couple of applications
    No anti-virus or firewall software (yet)

    I haven't yet installed the Via 4-in-1 drivers; instead, Windows 98SE
    is using its own IDE and AGP drivers.

    The problem is, Direct3D fails to initialise. Using DXDiag to test it
    shows that under DirectX 7, 8 and 9, Direct3D fails each time at step 8,
    the creation of the 3D device. Windows Help states that this behaviour
    is as if the GF2 Pro card doesn't support Direct3D.

    I've seen this problem before, and managed to fix it by fiddling about
    with the drivers somehow, but I can't remember what I did.

    I don't have this computer in front of me, so I can't try out any of
    your suggestions, but if any of you experts can hazard a guess as to
    what the problem might be, I'd be grateful. If not, I'll ask again the
    next time I visit my parents.
    A. J. Moss, Jul 4, 2004

  2. A. J. Moss

    °Mike° Guest

    You NEED to install your 4-in-one drivers, AND
    update DirectX; make sure your sound drivers
    are updated, too. Both are necessary for the
    system to create "3D Device".

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 18:31:41 +0100, in
    <>
    A. J. Moss scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 4, 2004

  3. A. J. Moss

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Why are you using the old win98 drivers instead the updated NVIDIA drivers?

    pcbutts1, Jul 4, 2004
  4. A. J. Moss

    Paul - xxx Guest

    A. J. Moss typed:

    > I haven't yet installed the Via 4-in-1 drivers; instead, Windows 98SE
    > is using its own IDE and AGP drivers.

    > I've seen this problem before, and managed to fix it by fiddling about
    > with the drivers somehow, but I can't remember what I did.

    Causality ...

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks
    Paul - xxx, Jul 4, 2004
  5. A. J. Moss

    A. J. Moss Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004, "pcbutts1" <> wrote:
    >Why are you using the old win98 drivers instead the updated NVIDIA drivers?

    I am using the updated NVidia drivers for the graphics card. It's just,
    as two other people have pointed out, that I need to use the updated
    *Via* drivers as well (it seems).
    A. J. Moss, Jul 5, 2004
  6. A. J. Moss

    Jim Berwick Guest

    A. J. Moss <> wrote in

    > I haven't yet installed the Via 4-in-1 drivers; instead, Windows 98SE
    > is using its own IDE and AGP drivers.

    Why didn't you do this first? Get the chipset drivers, then get the latest
    detonators from nvidia.com
    Jim Berwick, Jul 5, 2004