No dial tone?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Control Panel / Modems / Properties / Connection tab.
    Uncheck 'Wait for dial tone before dialing'.

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:25:12 -0000, in
    <bptln3$4cf$>
    anOLDun scrawled:

    >Lo All
    >
    >OS = WinME
    >Modem = internal
    >
    >Further to my earlier query on wife's pc not booting - up.
    >
    >It is now up and running but when she tries connecting to the internet she
    >gets an error message " no dial tone detected"
    >
    >Have checked cable it seems fine, have checked actual line ( i.e i
    >unplugged telephone line from PC and connected a telephone to cable and i
    >did get a dial tone).
    >
    >Have checked "properties" and it says "device is working properly".
    >
    >Any advice on what i can try next would be appreciated.
    >
    >Regards

    Basic computer maintenance

    anOLDun, Nov 24, 2003

  3. °Mike°

    DH Guest

    Your modem is bad.

    DH, Nov 24, 2003
  4. °Mike°

    L Beck Guest

    all that's going to do it tell the modem to dial anyway, which will probably
    result in a different error message because the modem's probably bad.

    L Beck, Nov 24, 2003
  5. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Don't talk rubbish. The modem is *always* the last suspect
    in a no dial tone error. Putting extra commas in front of
    the phone number, and unchecking 'Wait for dial tone..'
    is *always* the first thing to try.

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:00:37 -0800, in
    <bpu22d$1se64g$-berlin.de>
    L Beck scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 24, 2003
  6. °Mike°

    alexandrew Guest

    This might help you also, it did help me though.
    when you are at the property of your modem, you will see some where on that
    page which port your modem is connected, check that and make sure it is your
    modem, if it is not, click on the arrow and you will see additional modem(s)
    that were installed to your puter before, select the one you have.

    alexandrew, Nov 24, 2003
  7. °Mike°

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi Mike

    Yep it was checked - have now unchecked it....

    modem "clicks" as if it is about to start dialing but it doesn't.

    Anything else you can suggest?

    cheers

    anOLDun, Nov 24, 2003
  8. °Mike°

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi DH

    UMMMMM don't think it is that but ??????

    cheers

    anOLDun, Nov 24, 2003
  9. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    1. Make sure that nothing else is holding the modem open.
    2. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and if rnaapp is running, end task it.
    3. If you have Call Minder, clear any messages.
    4. Add some commas to the beginning of your phone number,
    so it looks like ,,,080808080808
    5. Reboot.
    6. Check all cables/connections are seated correctly.
    7. Try different cables.
    8. Remove any extension sockets, double connectors/adapters.
    9. Have the wall jack point checked.

    Check ALL of the above first. If you still have problems....

    Does your modem have a 'phone' jack? If so, plug the telephone
    into the jack and pick up the phone.

    Can you hear a dial tone?
    NO:- The cabling and/or the 'line' jack in the modem is probably
    faulty.

    YES:- Try your dial-up connection while you're still listening on
    the phone. If you modem's line relay is working you should no
    longer be able to hear the dial tone.

    If the modem still reports no dial tone after you have ruled out the
    above, then you have most likely got a faulty modem.

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:23:05 -0000, in
    <bpu3l5$qu7$>
    anOLDun scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 24, 2003
  10. °Mike°

    DH Guest

    If you've already checked your phone line and your phone cord, and you don't
    get a message that says "modem failed to respond", then your modem is bad.

    DH, Nov 24, 2003
  11. °Mike°

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi Mike

    I did try connecting a phone to the cable end i do get a dial tone.......

    BUT.. to get PC from downstairs to upstairs i had to use three telephone
    extension cables to reach. If i get a dial tone on the phone could i still
    have a prob with the moden by using so three extension cables? would it be
    wiser to use only ONE extension cable?

    thanks

    anOLDun, Nov 25, 2003
  12. °Mike°

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi Alexandrew

    yep already looked there - and yep the right one is being "used".

    Thanks for taking the time to reply

    anOLDun, Nov 25, 2003
  13. °Mike°

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi DH

    i HOPE u r wrong but we will soon find out.

    regards

    anOLDun, Nov 25, 2003
  14. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    It's only a test, so the extensions are not important at
    this stage.

    Did you try your dial-up connection while listening on
    the (connected) phone?

    If so, did the dial tone drop when you tried the connection?

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:45:57 -0000, in
    <bpu8j1$l47$>
    anOLDun scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 25, 2003
  15. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Make sure you check all of the other things *first*!

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:39:29 -0000, in
    <bpubkv$lk7$>
    anOLDun scrawled:

    >Hi Mike
    >
    >No have not tried that particular test yet - gonna look at it again in the
    >morning.....so watch this space:))))))
    >
    >thanks for all your help though

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> It's only a test, so the extensions are not important at
    >> this stage.
    >>
    >> Did you try your dial-up connection while listening on
    >> the (connected) phone?
    >>
    >> If so, did the dial tone drop when you tried the connection?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 25, 2003
  16. °Mike°

    anOLDun, Nov 25, 2003
  17. °Mike°

    DH Guest

    Have you tried removing the modem thru Device Manager, and then do a
    "refresh" to let Windows refind the modem and reinstall the drivers?

    DH, Nov 25, 2003
  18. °Mike°

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Nov 25, 2003
  19. °Mike°

    Travis S. Guest

    Was this modem working fine at one time?

    Travis S., Nov 25, 2003
  20. °Mike°

    anOLDun Guest

    Lo all

    Many thanks to al those who replied to me query.

    Modem is now working and "she who i let think is in charge" is now able to
    connect to the net.

    PLEASE - do not ASK how it was fixed or WHO fixed it as my reply might be
    curt and offencive - suffice to say that "hergoodself" is smirking.

    < i HATE smart-alecs>

    regards

    anOLDun, Nov 25, 2003