    port. Before I brave the help desk - anyone got any suggestions on possible
    solutions?

    Charlie G.
    Charlie G, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Charlie G

    shannon Guest

    Charlie G wrote:
    > Just got my notebook back from Asus with a replacement motherboard, and
    > inbuilt modem (Smart Link 56K Voice Modem) can't find a dial tone. Cable
    > is still OK - tested it with phone & it works as it did 3 weeks ago when
    > last used.
    >
    > Windows XP Home (SP2) troubleshooter suggests the com port ( on Com 3) may
    > be turned off, and to open device manger and select the appropriate com port
    > to enable. Device Manager shows no Com ports at all - just the printer
    > port. Before I brave the help desk - anyone got any suggestions on possible
    > solutions?
    >
    > Charlie G.

    Look in the bios setings and see if it needs to be enabled.

    Try downloading and installing the driver from the manufacturers site.
    shannon, Mar 8, 2006

  3. Charlie G

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 22:52:26 +1300, "Charlie G" <>
    wrote:

    >Just got my notebook back from Asus with a replacement motherboard, and
    >inbuilt modem (Smart Link 56K Voice Modem) can't find a dial tone. Cable
    >is still OK - tested it with phone & it works as it did 3 weeks ago when
    >last used.
    >
    >Windows XP Home (SP2) troubleshooter suggests the com port ( on Com 3) may
    >be turned off, and to open device manger and select the appropriate com port
    >to enable. Device Manager shows no Com ports at all - just the printer
    >port. Before I brave the help desk - anyone got any suggestions on possible
    >solutions?

    Download a driver from Asus.
    Bret, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Charlie G

    Charlie G Guest

    "Charlie G" <> wrote in message
    > Just got my notebook back from Asus with a replacement motherboard, and
    > inbuilt modem (Smart Link 56K Voice Modem) can't find a dial tone. Cable
    > is still OK - tested it with phone & it works as it did 3 weeks ago when
    > last used.
    >
    > Windows XP Home (SP2) troubleshooter suggests the com port ( on Com 3) may
    > be turned off, and to open device manger and select the appropriate com
    > port to enable. Device Manager shows no Com ports at all - just the
    > printer port. Before I brave the help desk - anyone got any suggestions
    > on possible solutions?
    >
    > Charlie G.

    Latest drivers loaded, no option in bios to enable....

    Any other suggestions? (apart from dropping the whole thing from a great
    height) :-(
    Charlie G, Mar 9, 2006
  5. >
    > "Charlie G" <> wrote in message
    >> Just got my notebook back from Asus with a replacement motherboard, and
    >> inbuilt modem (Smart Link 56K Voice Modem) can't find a dial tone.
    >> Cable is still OK - tested it with phone & it works as it did 3 weeks ago
    >> when last used.
    >>
    >> Windows XP Home (SP2) troubleshooter suggests the com port ( on Com 3)
    >> may be turned off, and to open device manger and select the appropriate
    >> com port to enable. Device Manager shows no Com ports at all - just the
    >> printer port. Before I brave the help desk - anyone got any suggestions
    >> on possible solutions?
    >>
    >> Charlie G.

    > Latest drivers loaded, no option in bios to enable....
    >
    > Any other suggestions? (apart from dropping the whole thing from a great
    > height) :-(

    Have you tried completely uninstalling the driver software from Add/Remove
    Programs, and make sure the device is uninstalled from device manager
    (should happen when u remove the software). Then see if windows picks it up
    again when you restart.

    It sounds like a software/driver issue due to the missing com port.

    You could always get a PCMCIA modem :p

    Steve
    Stephen Williams, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Charlie G

    Charlie G Guest

    "Stephen Williams" wrote..
    <snip>

    > Have you tried completely uninstalling the driver software from Add/Remove
    > Programs, and make sure the device is uninstalled from device manager
    > (should happen when u remove the software). Then see if windows picks it
    > up again when you restart.
    >
    > It sounds like a software/driver issue due to the missing com port.
    >
    > You could always get a PCMCIA modem :p
    >
    > Steve

    Yeah, tried all that & tried the PC Card out of the old laptop - it worked
    fine. Spent hours on Asus site making sure all their suggestions had been
    tried, then emailed their (Taiwan) support. The answer came back to try the
    website. Very helpful!

    Gave up & rang the NZ help line next morning. They spoke to the tech who
    replaced the motherboard last week. Modem is onboard so it's back to Asus
    again.

    On the plus side, Asus had the grace to sound embarressed, & are very quick
    in the turnaround (three working days). Gave it back to Dick Smiths before
    that - took a month the first time & two weeks the second. Teach me to buy
    from DS rather than wait for a decent store to open on Monday!

    What is annoying though, is Windows habit of reporting in modem diagnostics
    the modem is working correctly when it is cooked!

    Thanks anyway for all the helpful suggestions people!

    Charlie
    Charlie G, Mar 14, 2006
  7. Charlie G

    PC Guest

    "Charlie G" <> wrote in message

    Snip

    > What is annoying though, is Windows habit of reporting in modem
    > diagnostics the modem is working correctly when it is cooked!

    Snip

    Actually I wouldn't blame 'Windows' so much as modern software diagnostic
    algorythms being used for hardware diagnostics. I find it quite common with
    modems that have been hit by lightning / power surge for Windows to report
    all is well but when I pull the modem there is telltale black burn marks
    near the socket.

    The lightning / power surge can have enough energy blow something between
    the socket and the relay while the relay is Open (ie off line) or with the
    newer solid state relays burn the line side of the isolator chip out, but
    not enough energy to jump the relay gap or isolator and burn out the rest of
    the modem. Don't forget most of today's modems are software anyway.

    My pick would be a manufacturing flaw between the isolator and the socket,
    that way the diagnostics report all OK but then can't connect to the line
    for a dial tone.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Mar 16, 2006
  8. Charlie G

    w_tom Guest

    Just because it is a diagnostic, then it will verify everything? Of
    course not. It is a Windows diagnostic. Its function is to verify
    that Windows can talk to the peripheral's computer. Windows talked
    just fine to the modem's computer. Why then would anyone recommend
    fixing the BIOS or reloading drivers?

    Windows talked just fine to the modem. But the modem's computer
    could not talk to the phone line. That is what a hardware diagnostic
    would have reported. That is why more responsible hardware
    manufacturers provide a comprehensive diagnostic with their products.
    Apparently the onboard modem did not come with a comprehensive
    diagnostic. If it had, the manufacturer tech could have asked you to
    run the diagnostic and immediately identified the problem.
    Furthermore, if the manufacturer provided any decent diagnostic, then
    modem hardware would have been working right the first time.

    These modem failures are common in its DAA section. That is the
    hardware between the modem controller chip and phone line. A most
    common failure point is the transistor that drives the off-hook relay -
    a relay that connects phone line to modem chip. Windows diagnostic
    would never - and should never - test for this hardware. That hardware
    diagnostic should be provided by the manufacturer who provided the PC
    board containing the modem. But some manufacturers are not so
    responsible.

    Meanwhile, due to that missing diagnostic, then others were
    speculating - sounds like a software/driver issue. Not for one minute
    as the Windows diagnostic accurately reported. Well, these failures
    are events from which we learn.

    w_tom, Mar 16, 2006