    How do I get rid of this?

    Thanks
    Charlie

    cc, Jan 20, 2004

  2. cc

    Patch Guest

    "cc" <> wrote in message
    news:CP8Pb.16350$...
    > Hi,
    > I use XP Pro. I have 2 drives a DVD burner at Y and a DVD rom at drive
    > z.
    > When I go to My Computer and to Disk Management I see there is a D
    > drive. I don't have a D drive. My hard drives are C and L.
    > How do I get rid of this?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Charlie

    If you click on the D drive, is there anything there?

    Patch, Jan 20, 2004

  3. cc

    Jerry G. Guest

    The drives have to be properly assigned.

    Below is from XP Help. The search was "Assigning Drives", without the
    quotes.

    To assign, change, or remove a drive letter

    Using the Windows interface

    1.. Open Computer Management (Local). ( Administrator Tools )
    2.. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
    Where?

    a.. Computer Management (Local)
    b.. Storage
    c.. Disk Management
    3.. Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    4.. Do one of the following:
    a.. To assign a drive letter, click Add, click the drive letter you want
    to use, and then click OK.
    b.. To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive
    letter you want to use, and then click OK.
    c.. To remove a drive letter, click it, and then click Remove.
    Important

    a.. Be careful when making drive-letter assignments because many MS-DOS
    and Windows programs make references to a specific drive letter. For
    example, the path environment variable shows specific drive letters in
    conjunction with program names.
    Notes

    a.. To open Computer Management, click Start, point to Settings, and then
    click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then
    double-click Computer Management.
    b.. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the
    Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer
    is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from
    completing this procedure.
    c.. A computer can use up to 26 drive letters. Drive letters A and B are
    reserved for floppy disk drives, but you can assign these letters to
    removable drives if the computer does not have a floppy disk drive. Hard
    disk drives in the computer receive letters C through Z, while mapped
    network drives are assigned drive letters in reverse order (Z through B).
    d.. You cannot change the drive letter of the system volume or boot
    volume.
    e.. An error message may appear when you attempt to assign a letter to a
    volume, CD-ROM drive, or other removable media device, possibly because it
    is in use by a program in the system. If this happens, close the program
    accessing the volume or drive, and then click the Change Drive Letter and
    Paths command again.
    f.. Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the static assignment of drive
    letters on volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This means that you
    permanently assign a drive letter to a specific partition, volume, or CD-ROM
    drive. When you add a new hard disk to an existing computer system, it will
    not affect statically assigned drive letters.
    g.. You can also mount a local drive at an empty folder on an NTFS volume
    using a drive path instead of a drive letter. For more information, click
    Related Topics.
    Using a command line

    1.. Open Command Prompt.
    2.. Type:
    diskpart

    3.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
    list volume

    Make note of the number of the simple volume whose drive letter you want
    to assign, change, or remove.

    4.. At the DISKPART prompt, type:
    select volume n

    Select the volume, where n is the volume's number, whose drive letter you
    want to assign, change, or remove.

    5.. At the DISKPART prompt, type one of the following:
    a.. assign letter=L
    Where L is the drive letter you want to assign or change.

    b.. remove letter=L
    Where L is the drive letter you want to remove.

    Value Description
    list volume Displays a list of basic and dynamic volumes on all disks.
    select volume Selects the specified volume, where n is the volume
    number, and shifts the focus to it. If no volume is specified, the select
    command lists the current volume with focus. You can specify the volume by
    number, drive letter, or mount point path. On a basic disk, selecting a
    volume also gives the corresponding partition focus.
    assign letter=L Assigns a drive letter, L, to the volume with focus.
    If no drive letter is specified, then the next available drive letter is
    assigned. If the drive letter is already in use, an error is generated.
    remove letter=L Removes the drive letter, L, from the volume with
    focus. If no drive letter or mount point is specified, then DiskPart removes
    the first drive letter or mount point it encounters.
    The remove command can be used to change the drive letter associated
    with a removable drive. You cannot remove the drive letters on system, boot,
    or paging volumes. In addition, you cannot remove the drive letter for an
    OEM partition, any GPT partition with an unrecognized GUID, or any of the
    special, non-data, GPT partitions such as the EFI system partition.

    Notes

    a.. To open command prompt, click Start, point to Programs, point to
    Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
[...]
    h.. For more information about DiskPart, click Related Topics.
    Related Topics

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Jan 20, 2004
  4. cc

    Boomer Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in

    > The drives have to be properly assigned.
    >
    > Below is from XP Help. The search was "Assigning Drives", without
    > the quotes.

    [snip]

    Please don't post binaries to a non-binary group.

    Boomer, Jan 20, 2004