no console and cant recover pwd

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Mark Reed, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. Mark Reed

    Mark Reed Guest

    I was wondering if I could bounce something off the gurus out there...

    We have a 1720 router... and no one knows the passwords... no problem -
    just use password recovery... well... tried that...

    when I connect via console cable, and set it per book spec of 8N1 9600B -
    I get nothing but ascii garbage on the screen. I try doing the break
    sequence, but nothing happens.

    I tried setting lower baud rates - and still nothing.

    Have you ever seen this before - or have any ideas around it?

    M. Reed

    --
    ------------
    Mark M. Reed ()

    sign up for your free Fusion newsletter!
    http://www.fusionmagic.com/maillist/maillist.php
    Mark Reed, Dec 15, 2003

  2. In article <Xns945297154B785mreedreedassociatesc@216.168.3.44>,
    Mark Reed <> wrote:
    :We have a 1720 router... and no one knows the passwords... no problem -
    :just use password recovery... well... tried that...

    :when I connect via console cable, and set it per book spec of 8N1 9600B -
    :I get nothing but ascii garbage on the screen. I try doing the break
    :sequence, but nothing happens.

    :I tried setting lower baud rates - and still nothing.

    Ascii garbage on the screen could indicate that you need a -higher-
    baud rate. 38400 seems to be a particular favorite of those who do not
    leave the connection at 9600.

    Also, how are you generating the break sequence? If you are using
    hyperterm then you might not be able to generate a break. You also
    might have problems generating a break if you are using a USB to serial
    convertor.
    --
    Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
    Give it out, dish it out, let's go crazy, yeah!
    Walter Roberson, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Mark Reed

    Kirk Goins Guest

    You said you tried "lower" baud rates... Some techs set the rates
    "higher" try working your way up...

    Kirk Goins, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Mark Reed

    Mark Reed Guest

    I am using hyperterm - but I know it works - I use hyperterm with my other
    router. Both are 1720 units. I am using the db9 to rj45 blue console
    cable on both connections.

    I can connect perfectly to the one 1720.

    The other gets ascii garbage on trying the password recover sequence... I
    dont even see the router boot text - only garbage.

    --
    ------------

    Mark Reed, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Mark Reed

    Mark Reed Guest

    setting it higher worked. I was always under the impression ascii junk
    meant you needed a lower baud... connecting higher worked - I also just
    found out that this router was replaced because the company said a
    "hacker trashed it". From looking at the config once I got in, it looks
    like all they did was change the passwords, encrypt them, then set the
    console baud higher in the registry.

    Either way - I have a free fully functional 1720.

    thanks for the input group!

    --
    ------------

    Mark Reed, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Mark Reed

    ganlet Guest

    um im not entirely sure what is happening becuase im not there to see
    the actually "garbage" that it is spitting out often times someone
    will accidently set their router in debug or monitor mode (same thing
    just two names for it) it would be nice to see what it spits out, i
    know though that those are the settings though for all cisco devices
    unless they change to something else. anyways to really help i need
    to see the garbage and stupid supid question but you are using the
    right serial port and a roll over.
    ganlet, Dec 15, 2003
  7. Mark Reed

    Guest

    Mark,

    Power-cycle the router and try the break sequence while the router is
    powering up. This should get you into the rommon mode, at which point,
    you can try the password recovery. If that does not work, try using a
    different term emulation software!

    Minhaz

    Mark Reed <> wrote in message news:<Xns945297154B785mreedreedassociatesc@216.168.3.44>...
    > I was wondering if I could bounce something off the gurus out there...
    >
    > We have a 1720 router... and no one knows the passwords... no problem -
    > just use password recovery... well... tried that...
    >
    > when I connect via console cable, and set it per book spec of 8N1 9600B -
    > I get nothing but ascii garbage on the screen. I try doing the break
    > sequence, but nothing happens.
    >
    > I tried setting lower baud rates - and still nothing.
    >
    > Have you ever seen this before - or have any ideas around it?
    >

    > M. Reed
    , Dec 15, 2003