    Windows XP SP2.

    Thanks,

    , Sep 21, 2007

  2. Barb Bowman Guest

    where are these wireless networks? public networks in coffee shops?
    in our neighborhood? your own?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Sep 21, 2007

  3. Lem Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am having a problem connecting to the internet via my Wireless USB
    > Adapter. The adapter works fine; it picks up available networks and
    > connects with them. However, despite having a connection, my IE and
    > Firefox won't connect to the internet.
    >
    > I've tried letting Windows configure my wireless connection, but that
    > didn't change a thing. I don't know what else to try. I am running
    > Windows XP SP2.

    > Thanks,

    Has this ever worked?

    Does "tried letting Windows configure" your wireless connection, mean
    that you also use a different utility to configure it? You need to make
    sure that only one wireless configuration utility is active.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Sep 21, 2007
  4. Hi
    Seeing a signal and the statement Connected in the connection available
    screen does not mean that you actually have a Working connection.
    Check you Wireless configuration to make sure that it is configure correctly
    with the Wireless source My New Wireless does not work -
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.htmlthat you are
    using.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 21, 2007
  5. Phil Guest

    > Thanks,

    Hi,

    Check the Firewall settings. Turn off the firewall to prove it isn't
    realted to that (then turn it back on again to keep your protection in
    place)
    Open a DOS window (command Prompt) and enter IPCONFIG at the prompt,
    then press enter. If you have an IP address that matches your
    network, that is good, but if your address shown is different, then
    the computer and network card are not being issued with a valid
    address. If this is the case try setting these manually in the
    network properties.

    If the IP address matches the address range of your network, check the
    DNS is working from the Command Prompt again by pinging (say) www.bbc.net.
    First try ping 63.172.252.242 then if that works try ping www.bbc.net.
    If the first works and the second doesn't change your DNS settgins in
    the TCPIP properties to match those given by your Internet service
    provider.

    Apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!

    Phil

    Phil, Sep 21, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Sep 21, 4:32 am, Barb Bowman <> wrote:
    > where are these wireless networks? public networks in coffee shops?
    > in our neighborhood? your own?
    >
    > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:08:35 -0700, wrote:
    > >Hello,

    > >I am having a problem connecting to the internet via my Wireless USB
    > >Adapter. The adapter works fine; it picks up available networks and
    > >connects with them. However, despite having a connection, my IE and
    > >Firefox won't connect to the internet.

    > >I've tried letting Windows configure my wireless connection, but that
    > >didn't change a thing. I don't know what else to try. I am running
    > >Windows XP SP2.

    > >Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

    > >Thanks,

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    Hi Barb,

    I've tried connecting to free wi-fi points, such as libraries and
    coffee shops, but with no luck. I have even had problems with my
    ethernet connection. I plugged directly into a library and I received
    a connection (or so the computer says) and I my IE and Firefox weren't
    able to find a connection to the internet.

    I suspect that it may be a user update that I downloaded from
    Microsoft, so I tried uninstalling a few, but with no luck.

    In summary, the connection is fine, but I think it's the configuration
    that does not work properly.

    Thanks

    , Sep 21, 2007
  7. Barb Bowman Guest

    so you previously had no issues connecting then?
    what wireless USB adapter? did you try a restore point to prior to
    the time this issue started?

    can you post the text output of ipconfig /all when the computer is
    in this state of non connectivity?

    and reconfirm that these are wireless networks you were previously
    able to connect to without difficulty.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Sep 21, 2007
  8. Guest

    On Sep 21, 10:43 am, Barb Bowman <> wrote:
    > so you previously had no issues connecting then?
    > what wireless USB adapter? did you try a restore point to prior to
    > the time this issue started?
    >
    > can you post the text output of ipconfig /all when the computer is
    > in this state of non connectivity?
    >
    > and reconfirm that these are wireless networks you were previously
    > able to connect to without difficulty.
    >

    > On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:35:33 -0700, wrote:
    > >Hi Barb,

    > >I've tried connecting to free wi-fi points, such as libraries and
    > >coffee shops, but with no luck. I have even had problems with my
    > >ethernet connection. I plugged directly into a library and I received
    > >a connection (or so the computer says) and I my IE and Firefox weren't
    > >able to find a connection to the internet.

    > >I suspect that it may be a user update that I downloaded from
    > >Microsoft, so I tried uninstalling a few, but with no luck.

    > >In summary, the connection is fine, but I think it's the configuration
    > >that does not work properly.

    > >Thanks

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    Hi Barb,

    I had no issues connecting via ethernet until about last week, when I
    connected and I installed a bunch of Windows XP updates.
    My USB Adapter is a netgear WPN111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter. As I said
    before, it picks up signals and connects, but IE won't work.

    I did try a restore point, but it didn't work for my wireless. I did
    not try the ethernet connection, since I would have to go to a
    library.

    Here is what I could get

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig/all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Comp
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE
    Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-95-D5-DB

    Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-
    Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

    C:\WINDOWS>

    It seems that my computer battery has also died, so I will have to
    recharge it this weekend (I forgot the battery charger.)

    I will keep you posted once I get up and running.

    , Sep 21, 2007
  9. Lem Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sep 21, 10:43 am, Barb Bowman <> wrote:
    >> so you previously had no issues connecting then?
    >> what wireless USB adapter? did you try a restore point to prior to
    >> the time this issue started?
    >>
    >> can you post the text output of ipconfig /all when the computer is
    >> in this state of non connectivity?
    >>
    >> and reconfirm that these are wireless networks you were previously
    >> able to connect to without difficulty.
    >>

    >> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:35:33 -0700, wrote:
    >>> Hi Barb,
    >>> I've tried connecting to free wi-fi points, such as libraries and
    >>> coffee shops, but with no luck. I have even had problems with my
    >>> ethernet connection. I plugged directly into a library and I received
    >>> a connection (or so the computer says) and I my IE and Firefox weren't
    >>> able to find a connection to the internet.
    >>> I suspect that it may be a user update that I downloaded from
    >>> Microsoft, so I tried uninstalling a few, but with no luck.
    >>> In summary, the connection is fine, but I think it's the configuration
    >>> that does not work properly.
    >>> Thanks

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    > Hi Barb,
    >
    > I had no issues connecting via ethernet until about last week, when I
    > connected and I installed a bunch of Windows XP updates.
    > My USB Adapter is a netgear WPN111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter. As I said
    > before, it picks up signals and connects, but IE won't work.
    >
    > I did try a restore point, but it didn't work for my wireless. I did
    > not try the ethernet connection, since I would have to go to a
    > library.
    >
    > Here is what I could get
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig/all
    >
    > Windows IP Configuration
    >
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Comp
    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed

    > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE
    > Network Connecti
    > on
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-39-95-D5-DB
    >
    > Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-
    > Interface
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS>
    >

    > It seems that my computer battery has also died, so I will have to
    > recharge it this weekend (I forgot the battery charger.)
    >
    > I will keep you posted once I get up and running.

    Unless you know that you have a specific need for TCP/IP v6, go to the
    "properties" screen for your wireless internet connection
    looks like:
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/sc..._Connection/Properties/General/Index--2.shtml

    and UNINSTALL the entry for TCP/IPv6 and make sure that you DO have an
    entry for TCP/IP [with either no version designation or v4]

    Under the list of "This connection uses the following items" you should
    have only

    Client for Microsoft Windows
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    QoS Packet Scheduler (this is optional)
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Sep 21, 2007
  10. Barb Bowman Guest

    was the wireless able to connect before or not?
    there is no sign of the wireless adapter in the ipconfig you posted.
    what programs did you install recently?

    Barb Bowman, Sep 21, 2007
  11. Guest

    On Sep 21, 11:55 am, Lem <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    > > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

    > > C:\WINDOWS>

    > > It seems that my computer battery has also died, so I will have to
    > > recharge it this weekend (I forgot the battery charger.)

    > > I will keep you posted once I get up and running.

    > Unless you know that you have a specific need for TCP/IP v6, go to the
    > "properties" screen for yourwirelessinternetconnection
    > looks like:http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/screenshots/Windows_XP/Network_Conne...
    >
    > and UNINSTALL the entry for TCP/IPv6 and make sure that you DO have an
    > entry for TCP/IP [with either no version designation or v4]
    >
    > Under the list of "Thisconnectionuses the following items" you should
    > have only
    >
    > Client for MicrosoftWindows
    > File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

    I went out and bought a new computer (my old one gave up on me).
    Despite having Wi-fi capabilities built into it I still cannot connect
    to my room mate's wireless network.

    Here's the ipconfig:

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig

    Windows IP Configuration

    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b10c:ab94:1a84:cacc%10
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.110

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.110%12

    C:\Windows\system32>

    I am running Windows Vista. It told me that it could not communicate
    with the DNS server(192.168.0.1). Should I still disable the TCP/IP v6?

    , Sep 25, 2007
  12. Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Sep 25, 2007