No" connection charge" calls...

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by tony sayer, Mar 7, 2010.

  1. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.

    A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
    the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
    hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
    outside:)

    This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers but
    its just intended to let them know its there by a simple "Two ring" then
    terminate but a lot of customers manage to lift the handset and hence
    incur a connection charge which over a month or so is running up quite a
    large "call" bill.

    Anyone know of a Third party provider that either has a no connection
    fee or a lower cost than BT one. VoIP will do for this application if
    need be they have a good broadband connection but no cable modem or VM
    system available.

    Cheers...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Mar 7, 2010

  2. In article <7xEtCuB7f$>,
    tony sayer <> wrote:

    >Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
    >
    >A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
    >the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
    >hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
    >outside:)
    >
    >This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers but
    >its just intended to let them know its there by a simple "Two ring" then
    >terminate but a lot of customers manage to lift the handset and hence
    >incur a connection charge which over a month or so is running up quite a
    >large "call" bill.
    >
    >Anyone know of a Third party provider that either has a no connection
    >fee or a lower cost than BT one. VoIP will do for this application if
    >need be they have a good broadband connection but no cable modem or VM
    >system available.

    I'm guessing there's a data-link from the GPS in the taxi back to base
    and it's equipment at base which does the call...

    Can't you simply get one of the BT call packages with bundled local
    calls, etc?

    Or might it not be cheaper to make the call via a mobile?

    There are plenty of cheap/almost free VoIP operators though -
    e.g. Sipgate... Whether they'd like those sorts of calling patterns is
    anyones guess, however...

    Or why not just charge the punters an extra 10p for the service... Give
    us 10p or we sit outside beeping the horn :)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Mar 7, 2010

  3. tony sayer

    alexd Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:01:15 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

    > Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?

    Well don't we all? It's such a rare species of heron that it doesn't even
    have an entry on Wikipedia.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:04:55 up 20 days, 56 min, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00

    alexd, Mar 7, 2010
  4. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <hn109e$m5q$>, Gordon Henderson
    <> scribeth thus
    >In article <7xEtCuB7f$>,
    >tony sayer <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
    >>
    >>A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
    >>the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
    >>hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
    >>outside:)
    >>
    >>This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers but
    >>its just intended to let them know its there by a simple "Two ring" then
    >>terminate but a lot of customers manage to lift the handset and hence
    >>incur a connection charge which over a month or so is running up quite a
    >>large "call" bill.
    >>
    >>Anyone know of a Third party provider that either has a no connection
    >>fee or a lower cost than BT one. VoIP will do for this application if
    >>need be they have a good broadband connection but no cable modem or VM
    >>system available.

    >I'm guessing there's a data-link from the GPS in the taxi back to base
    >and it's equipment at base which does the call...

    Yes..

    >Can't you simply get one of the BT call packages with bundled local
    >calls, etc?

    Might look at that then..

    >Or might it not be cheaper to make the call via a mobile?

    No not really..

    >There are plenty of cheap/almost free VoIP operators though -
    >e.g. Sipgate... Whether they'd like those sorts of calling patterns is
    >anyones guess, however...
    >
    >Or why not just charge the punters an extra 10p for the service... Give
    >us 10p or we sit outside beeping the horn :)

    Umm .. that might be a bit impractical with some of them;!..

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Mar 7, 2010
  5. tony sayer

    Graham. Guest

    "R. Mark Clayton" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "tony sayer" <> wrote in message news:7xEtCuB7f$...
    >>
    >> Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
    >>
    >> A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
    >> the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
    >> hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
    >> outside:)
    >>
    >> This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers but
    >> its just intended to let them know its there by a simple "Two ring" then
    >> terminate but a lot of customers manage to lift the handset and hence
    >> incur a connection charge which over a month or so is running up quite a
    >> large "call" bill.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of a Third party provider that either has a no connection
    >> fee or a lower cost than BT one. VoIP will do for this application if
    >> need be they have a good broadband connection but no cable modem or VM
    >> system available.
    >>
    >> Cheers...
    >> --
    >> Tony Sayer
    >>

    > Voipfone - no connection fee, lowish cost to mobiles - couple of pence max if the punter picks up and you can make it appear to be
    > your base number, so if the customer has your number in their phone it say 01234 567890"Sayers Cars" or whatever.

    Likewise any of the Betamax clones, smartvoip, smslisto et all.
    At most a penny or so if the call is answered
    Wouldn't it be nice if you could get a softphone integrated with their taxi
    business system.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Mar 7, 2010
  6. tony sayer wrote:

    > A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
    > the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
    > hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
    > outside:)

    It seems to me that this violates fair usage principles, Don't be
    surprised if they get their phone accounts cancelled!

    David Woolley, Mar 7, 2010
  7. tony sayer

    Graham. Guest

    "David Woolley" <> wrote in message news:hn16sl$a7r$-september.org...
    > tony sayer wrote:
    >>
    >> A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
    >> the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
    >> hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
    >> outside:)

    > It seems to me that this violates fair usage principles, Don't be surprised if they get their phone accounts cancelled!

    Perhaps it does in spirit :)
    In my family there has always been a culture of "Give me 3 rings when you
    arrive safely" etc.
    I have never seen a clause in the T&C of a telecom service that specifically
    forbids sending a message by making a phone ring.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Mar 8, 2010
  8. tony sayer

    Stickems. Guest

    Instead of 2 rings make it one ring. That should solve the problem.

    Stickems., Mar 13, 2010
  9. In message <7xEtCuB7f$>, tony sayer
    <> writes

    >Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
    >
    >A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
    >the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
    >hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
    >outside:)
    >
    >This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers

    Useful? More like bloody laziness by the drivers. A local taxi company
    tried that one on me once ..... now I only use an alternative company
    where the driver is polite enough to ring my door bell.

    Malcolm
    --
    My Reply To: address is valid!
    If you have doubts visit http://www.spam-trap.org.uk for an explanation.

    Malcolm Loades, Mar 13, 2010
  10. tony sayer

    J Martin Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:49:15 +0000, Malcolm Loades
    <> wrote:

    >In message <7xEtCuB7f$>, tony sayer
    ><> writes
    >>
    >>Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
    >>
    >>A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
    >>the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
    >>hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
    >>outside:)
    >>
    >>This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers

    >Useful? More like bloody laziness by the drivers. A local taxi company
    >tried that one on me once ..... now I only use an alternative company
    >where the driver is polite enough to ring my door bell.
    >
    >Malcolm

    Well said Malcolm if the driver is lazy and can't be bothered to get
    out of his car then they cannot have business either same goes for
    they who sit outside waiting with the engine running at 1 and 2 am for
    passengers to get into the cab or sitting there blasting the horn
    until passengers come out of the house.

    J Martin, Mar 13, 2010
  11. tony sayer

    J Martin Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:25:17 -0000, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    >I totally agree with those sentiments. I f***ing hate with a vengence those
    >sort of pig-ignorant taxi drivers.

    There are a lot of them about these days Rob I don't se why people
    like myself who only use a taxi once every blue moon should be kept a
    wake at night by them .
    >And don't get me started on the fast-increasing number of saddo boy(and
    >girl)-racers with their noisy, anti-social, illegal exhausts, often on cheap
    >under-powered cars which somehow impresses them.

    Now you have started me wondering you mention , anti-social, illegal
    exhausts I do not smoke in the house I go outside and sit in the car
    and I have noticed while sitting out there more or less every three or
    four cars that pass me has an exhaust that is far to noisy has the law
    been changed or what ! surely there can't be that many cars on the
    roads with faulty exhausts .

    J Martin, Mar 13, 2010
  12. tony sayer

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:37:17 UTC, J Martin <J >
    wrote:

    > Now you have started me wondering you mention , anti-social, illegal
    > exhausts I do not smoke in the house I go outside and sit in the car
    > and I have noticed while sitting out there more or less every three or
    > four cars that pass me has an exhaust that is far to noisy has the law
    > been changed or what ! surely there can't be that many cars on the
    > roads with faulty exhausts .

    I have thought for some time that, especially bikes, should be taxed
    on their noise level at X,000 RPM rather than capacity or however they
    do it now. :)

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Mar 14, 2010
  13. "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:37:17 UTC, J Martin <J >
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Now you have started me wondering you mention , anti-social, illegal
    >> exhausts I do not smoke in the house I go outside and sit in the car
    >> and I have noticed while sitting out there more or less every three or
    >> four cars that pass me has an exhaust that is far to noisy has the law
    >> been changed or what ! surely there can't be that many cars on the
    >> roads with faulty exhausts .

    > I have thought for some time that, especially bikes, should be taxed
    > on their noise level at X,000 RPM rather than capacity or however they
    > do it now. :)
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Dave Saville

    Years ago a colleague was successfully prosecuted for a defective silencer
    and having no audible warning system (i.e. horn didn't work) on his
    motorcycle at the same time. The irony passed him by but we all thought it
    was funny!

    Peter

    Peter Andrews, Mar 14, 2010
  14. "Rob" <> writes:

    > No, AFAIK the law hasn't been changed, but it seems that it's just one of
    > the all too many things that's been allowed to spiral out of hand due to the
    > problem being mostly ignored by the police and perpetrators not being
    > clamped down on hard enough.

    The problem is that the speed cameras cannot detect the excessive noise
    emissions. If the police had more bobbies on foot patrol, they would
    hear the offending vehicles, could note the registration number and take
    action against the keeper.

    Graham Murray, Mar 14, 2010
  15. tony sayer

    J Martin Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:05:45 +0000, Graham Murray
    <> wrote:

    >"Rob" <> writes:
    >
    >> No, AFAIK the law hasn't been changed, but it seems that it's just one of
    >> the all too many things that's been allowed to spiral out of hand due to the
    >> problem being mostly ignored by the police and perpetrators not being
    >> clamped down on hard enough.

    >The problem is that the speed cameras cannot detect the excessive noise
    >emissions. If the police had more bobbies on foot patrol, they would
    >hear the offending vehicles, could note the registration number and take
    >action against the keeper.

    The police today only want to sit in the station drinking coffee I
    used to hold the police in high regard but not anymore to be honest
    I think they do their best in some instances to let criminals get
    away.
    A few years ago I looked out my window one night after hearing a
    commotion outside and saw a guy laying on the ground with about six
    others kicking hell out of him I dialed 999 the police came in pretty
    quick time about a dozen of them in six cars and guess what they all
    came charging down the road with blue lights flashing and Syrians
    wailing out just to make sure the gang could hear them and had enough
    time to run before the first plice car arrived .
    Had the police any intention of making any arrest they would not
    have come making enough noise to wake the dead .

    J Martin, Mar 14, 2010
  16. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, J Martin
    <J@Martin.?.co.uk> scribeth thus
    >On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:25:17 -0000, "Rob" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>I totally agree with those sentiments. I f***ing hate with a vengence those
    >>sort of pig-ignorant taxi drivers.

    >There are a lot of them about these days Rob I don't se why people
    >like myself who only use a taxi once every blue moon should be kept a
    >wake at night by them .
    >>And don't get me started on the fast-increasing number of saddo boy(and
    >>girl)-racers with their noisy, anti-social, illegal exhausts, often on cheap
    >>under-powered cars which somehow impresses them.

    >Now you have started me wondering you mention , anti-social, illegal
    >exhausts I do not smoke in the house I go outside and sit in the car
    >and I have noticed while sitting out there more or less every three or
    >four cars that pass me has an exhaust that is far to noisy has the law
    >been changed or what ! surely there can't be that many cars on the
    >roads with faulty exhausts .

    Tho that shouldn't be a problem with Taxi's and the twice yearly
    inspections by the council...

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Mar 14, 2010
  17. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, J Martin
    <J@Martin.?.co.uk> scribeth thus
    >On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:49:15 +0000, Malcolm Loades
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <7xEtCuB7f$>, tony sayer
    >><> writes
    >>>
    >>>Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
    >>>
    >>>A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
    >>>the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
    >>>hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
    >>>outside:)
    >>>
    >>>This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers

    >>Useful? More like bloody laziness by the drivers. A local taxi company
    >>tried that one on me once ..... now I only use an alternative company
    >>where the driver is polite enough to ring my door bell.
    >>
    >>Malcolm

    >Well said Malcolm if the driver is lazy and can't be bothered to get
    >out of his car then they cannot have business either same goes for
    >they who sit outside waiting with the engine running at 1 and 2 am for
    >passengers to get into the cab or sitting there blasting the horn
    >until passengers come out of the house.

    Well its designed to speed up the whole thing from the cab companies
    point of view and for the customer. The only downside is that the cab
    drivers waist expands more then what it would otherwise;!..

    From all I hear the customers like it!..
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Mar 14, 2010
  18. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <7xEtCuB7f$>, tony sayer
    <> scribeth thus

    >Wonder if the assorted contents heron could help with this one?.
    >
    >A Taxi company we know has a data system that when the Taxi approaches
    >the premises the data system knows this by the GPS tracking system and
    >hence makes a two ring call to the punter to let them know their Taxi is
    >outside:)
    >
    >This works very well and is considered most useful by the customers but
    >its just intended to let them know its there by a simple "Two ring" then
    >terminate but a lot of customers manage to lift the handset and hence
    >incur a connection charge which over a month or so is running up quite a
    >large "call" bill.
    >
    >Anyone know of a Third party provider that either has a no connection
    >fee or a lower cost than BT one. VoIP will do for this application if
    >need be they have a good broadband connection but no cable modem or VM
    >system available.
    >
    >Cheers...
    >--
    >Tony Sayer

    Thanks to all that replied and those by e-mail. There isn't any real big
    objection to paying, but its the initial connection charge that is
    irking more then anything else..

    And aren't there enough hereon lambasting the likes of BT and Virgin
    when they "up" their "connection" charges;?.....
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Mar 14, 2010
  19. "J Martin" <J > wrote in message
    > A few years ago I looked out my window one night after hearing a
    > commotion outside and saw a guy laying on the ground with about six
    > others kicking hell out of him I dialed 999 the police came in pretty
    > quick time about a dozen of them in six cars and guess what they all
    > came charging down the road with blue lights flashing and Syrians
    > wailing out just to make sure the gang could hear them and had enough
    > time to run before the first plice car arrived .
    > Had the police any intention of making any arrest they would not
    > have come making enough noise to wake the dead .

    The sirens and blue lights could have prevented a few more kicks to the man
    on the ground, so probably justified in this case.

    Harry Stottle, Mar 14, 2010
  20. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:29:54 +0000, Harry Stottle wrote:

    > "J Martin" <J > wrote in message
    >> A few years ago I looked out my window one night after hearing a
    >> commotion outside and saw a guy laying on the ground with about six
    >> others kicking hell out of him I dialed 999 the police came in pretty
    >> quick time about a dozen of them in six cars and guess what they all
    >> came charging down the road with blue lights flashing and Syrians
    >> wailing out just to make sure the gang could hear them and had enough
    >> time to run before the first plice car arrived . Had the police any
    >> intention of making any arrest they would not have come making enough
    >> noise to wake the dead .

    > The sirens and blue lights could have prevented a few more kicks to the
    > man on the ground, so probably justified in this case.

    Absolutely. Although I don't know what the police thought the Syrians
    could do to help...

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org