    ping google.com
    NOT FOUND (!!).
    WTF? How fix?
    Robert Baer, Sep 18, 2012

  2. "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    news:3J06s.1374$...
    > I just finished(?) setting up a new HD with Win2000 and am having
    > serious problems.
    > Boots fine, all installed programs seem to work, but...
    > ping google.com
    > NOT FOUND (!!).
    > WTF? How fix?

    Ping Google?

    Are you sure your network settings AND hardware are properly set up? You
    need to load drivers for the network.

    Why did you just finish setting up ANYTHING with Win2000? There is
    absolutely no MSoft support for that product, and most new hardware is not
    going to work under that OS. I completely get the idea that you like it, and
    if you had it running on your system and did not want to migrate away from
    it, then that's fine. But to build a new system based on such an old
    platform seems strange to me.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 18, 2012

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    >> I just finished(?) setting up a new HD with Win2000 and am having
    >> serious problems.
    >> Boots fine, all installed programs seem to work, but...
    >> ping google.com
    >> NOT FOUND (!!).
    >> WTF? How fix?
    >>

    > Ping Google?
    >
    > Are you sure your network settings AND hardware are properly set up? You
    > need to load drivers for the network.
    >
    > Why did you just finish setting up ANYTHING with Win2000? There is
    > absolutely no MSoft support for that product, and most new hardware is
    > not going to work under that OS. I completely get the idea that you like
    > it, and if you had it running on your system and did not want to migrate
    > away from it, then that's fine. But to build a new system based on such
    > an old platform seems strange to me.

    My original setup went sour; it is impossible to boot into windows; i
    see an infinite loop of two message boxes.
    In booting, i see the following (readable) message boxes like
    "starting up", "preparing network connections", "applying.." and then
    the infinite VERY rapidloopalmostimpossibletoread "loading..", "saving
    your settings" (best guess).
    Naturally, the various "repair" facilities the M$ disty CD gives,
    does no good (and the so-called "safe mode" has always been less than
    useless - unless one likes to stare at a black "safe mode" screen with
    zero communication possibilities).
    Oh and while we are talking about so-called repair, that "emergency
    repair disk" is also a POS - if i try to use it, the computer hangs with
    a black screen and a (i think) smiley face character at the center of
    the bottom most line.
    This crap of "repair" has existed from day one years ago...

    So, i took the backup (exact copy) HD, wiped the Win2K partition and
    am starting from scratch.
    As far as i can tell, the network settings are OK and the on-board
    EtherNet hardware and drivers all appear to be OK (according to the lame
    system hardware list in the control panel.

    If you know of some freeware that can do extensive "snooping" of
    hardware and software, please let me know.

    As a parallel path, is there a way to fake that "loopie" and get a
    good boot (ad a way to permanently fix?
    Robert Baer, Sep 18, 2012
  4. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > I just finished(?) setting up a new HD with Win2000 and am having
    > serious problems.
    > Boots fine, all installed programs seem to work, but...
    > ping google.com
    > NOT FOUND (!!).
    > WTF? How fix?

    When you do this in command prompt:

    nslookup google.com

    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.1.1

    Name: google.com
    Addresses: 74.125.226.39, 74.125.226.40, 74.125.226.41, 74.125.226.46
    74.125.226.32, 74.125.226.33, 74.125.226.34, 74.125.226.35,
    74.125.226.36, 74.125.226.37, 74.125.226.38

    what it's doing is consulting DNS. You need a working
    DNS, before you can use a symbolic name like google.com .

    If I do

    ping google.com

    first it does the DNS lookup, then it does the ping.

    If I do

    ping 74.125.226.39

    no DNS is needed, as it's already a number. And that
    ping works fine for me. If ping 74.125.226.39 works and
    you get successful ping, then your problem is "purely DNS".

    So there are a couple possibilities:

    1) Just DNS is broken.
    2) There's no network connection at all. This seems more likely
    on a new installation.

    You'd do this from command prompt, to get some info.

    ipconfig

    It will answer, something like this:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

    IP Address. . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

    and that would be a more or less "normal looking",
    automatically derived setup. My computer talks to my
    router using DHCP, and gets 192.168.1.2 from it.
    Default Gateway, is where a DNS query might get sent.

    My router also has DNS servers it got from the ISP
    (the router talks to them), and when Windows asks for
    the DNS servers, it'll get them. The "nslookup" command,
    could have mentioned the servers, but since my router
    at 192.168.1.1 pretends to resolve the address of google.com,
    my router doesn't have a name. (My other router, does give
    itself a name, so the response might have been different with
    that.)

    You need to check Device Manager, and make sure the
    network interface has a driver installed. If there
    are "colored marks" in devmgmt.msc , then you need
    to add the needed drivers, until Device Manager is clean.

    These are my network controls. The "automatic" options,
    use DHCP protocol with my router. While this is WinXP,
    Win2K should be similar.

    http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3721/networksettings3.gif

    Paul
    Paul, Sep 18, 2012
  5. "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    >>> I just finished(?) setting up a new HD with Win2000 and am having
    >>> serious problems.
    >>> Boots fine, all installed programs seem to work, but...
    >>> ping google.com
    >>> NOT FOUND (!!).
    >>> WTF? How fix?
    >>>

    >> Ping Google?
    >>
    >> Are you sure your network settings AND hardware are properly set up? You
    >> need to load drivers for the network.
    >>
    >> Why did you just finish setting up ANYTHING with Win2000? There is
    >> absolutely no MSoft support for that product, and most new hardware is
    >> not going to work under that OS. I completely get the idea that you like
    >> it, and if you had it running on your system and did not want to migrate
    >> away from it, then that's fine. But to build a new system based on such
    >> an old platform seems strange to me.
    >>

    > My original setup went sour; it is impossible to boot into windows; i
    > see an infinite loop of two message boxes.
    > In booting, i see the following (readable) message boxes like "starting
    > up", "preparing network connections", "applying.." and then the infinite
    > VERY rapidloopalmostimpossibletoread "loading..", "saving your settings"
    > (best guess).
    > Naturally, the various "repair" facilities the M$ disty CD gives, does
    > no good (and the so-called "safe mode" has always been less than useless -
    > unless one likes to stare at a black "safe mode" screen with zero
    > communication possibilities).
    > Oh and while we are talking about so-called repair, that "emergency
    > repair disk" is also a POS - if i try to use it, the computer hangs with a
    > black screen and a (i think) smiley face character at the center of the
    > bottom most line.
    > This crap of "repair" has existed from day one years ago...
    >
    > So, i took the backup (exact copy) HD, wiped the Win2K partition and am
    > starting from scratch.
    > As far as i can tell, the network settings are OK and the on-board
    > EtherNet hardware and drivers all appear to be OK (according to the lame
    > system hardware list in the control panel.
    >
    > If you know of some freeware that can do extensive "snooping" of
    > hardware and software, please let me know.
    >
    > As a parallel path, is there a way to fake that "loopie" and get a good
    > boot (ad a way to permanently fix?

    Among the other things that have you tripped up is the FACT that W2000 has
    had many updates since the CD was produced. You likely had all of the
    possible updates, the HDD crashed so you bought a new one, now you have the
    Base Version of Win2000 installed, and there are no updates available
    although there are literally hundreds of them that were produced and
    distributed.

    It's entirely possible that the network drivers that exist on the HDD are
    not distributed with the CD, and there is no network support. Of course, if
    you are posting from the machine that has 'no network support," then there
    is indeed network support and something else is the matter. But if you are
    posting from a second machine, then the first has no network drivers loaded.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 19, 2012
  6. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> I just finished(?) setting up a new HD with Win2000 and am having
    >> serious problems.
    >> Boots fine, all installed programs seem to work, but...
    >> ping google.com
    >> NOT FOUND (!!).
    >> WTF? How fix?
    >>

    > When you do this in command prompt:
    >
    > nslookup google.com
    >
    > Server: UnKnown
    > Address: 192.168.1.1
    >
    > Name: google.com
    > Addresses: 74.125.226.39, 74.125.226.40, 74.125.226.41, 74.125.226.46
    > 74.125.226.32, 74.125.226.33, 74.125.226.34, 74.125.226.35,
    > 74.125.226.36, 74.125.226.37, 74.125.226.38
    >
    > what it's doing is consulting DNS. You need a working
    > DNS, before you can use a symbolic name like google.com .
    >
    > If I do
    >
    > ping google.com
    >
    > first it does the DNS lookup, then it does the ping.
    >
    > If I do
    >
    > ping 74.125.226.39
    >
    > no DNS is needed, as it's already a number. And that
    > ping works fine for me. If ping 74.125.226.39 works and
    > you get successful ping, then your problem is "purely DNS".
    >
    > So there are a couple possibilities:
    >
    > 1) Just DNS is broken.
    > 2) There's no network connection at all. This seems more likely
    > on a new installation.
    >
    > You'd do this from command prompt, to get some info.
    >
    > ipconfig
    >
    > It will answer, something like this:
    >
    > Windows IP Configuration
    >
    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
    >
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    > Default Gateway . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    >
    > and that would be a more or less "normal looking",
    > automatically derived setup. My computer talks to my
    > router using DHCP, and gets 192.168.1.2 from it.
    > Default Gateway, is where a DNS query might get sent.
    >
    > My router also has DNS servers it got from the ISP
    > (the router talks to them), and when Windows asks for
    > the DNS servers, it'll get them. The "nslookup" command,
    > could have mentioned the servers, but since my router
    > at 192.168.1.1 pretends to resolve the address of google.com,
    > my router doesn't have a name. (My other router, does give
    > itself a name, so the response might have been different with
    > that.)
    >
    > You need to check Device Manager, and make sure the
    > network interface has a driver installed. If there
    > are "colored marks" in devmgmt.msc , then you need
    > to add the needed drivers, until Device Manager is clean.
    >
    > These are my network controls. The "automatic" options,
    > use DHCP protocol with my router. While this is WinXP,
    > Win2K should be similar.
    >
    > http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3721/networksettings3.gif
    >
    > Paul

    Well, Device Manager and Network Connections info looked OK.
    So i fiddled with NS lookup, nogo; then IPconfig-->oops!
    So i re-installed the ethernet driver from the ASUS disty disk and
    then again via driver update in hardware list of device manager (just to
    dot all eyes and cross all tees).
    Whew!
    Now works.
    Thanks!
    Robert Baer, Sep 20, 2012
  7. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Ping Google?
    >>>
    >>> Are you sure your network settings AND hardware are properly set up? You
    >>> need to load drivers for the network.
    >>>
    >>> Why did you just finish setting up ANYTHING with Win2000? There is
    >>> absolutely no MSoft support for that product, and most new hardware is
    >>> not going to work under that OS. I completely get the idea that you like
    >>> it, and if you had it running on your system and did not want to migrate
    >>> away from it, then that's fine. But to build a new system based on such
    >>> an old platform seems strange to me.
    >>>

    >> My original setup went sour; it is impossible to boot into windows; i
    >> see an infinite loop of two message boxes.
    >> In booting, i see the following (readable) message boxes like
    >> "starting up", "preparing network connections", "applying.." and then
    >> the infinite VERY rapidloopalmostimpossibletoread "loading..", "saving
    >> your settings" (best guess).
    >> Naturally, the various "repair" facilities the M$ disty CD gives, does
    >> no good (and the so-called "safe mode" has always been less than
    >> useless - unless one likes to stare at a black "safe mode" screen with
    >> zero communication possibilities).
    >> Oh and while we are talking about so-called repair, that "emergency
    >> repair disk" is also a POS - if i try to use it, the computer hangs
    >> with a black screen and a (i think) smiley face character at the
    >> center of the bottom most line.
    >> This crap of "repair" has existed from day one years ago...
    >>
    >> So, i took the backup (exact copy) HD, wiped the Win2K partition and
    >> am starting from scratch.
    >> As far as i can tell, the network settings are OK and the on-board
    >> EtherNet hardware and drivers all appear to be OK (according to the
    >> lame system hardware list in the control panel.
    >>
    >> If you know of some freeware that can do extensive "snooping" of
    >> hardware and software, please let me know.
    >>
    >> As a parallel path, is there a way to fake that "loopie" and get a
    >> good boot (ad a way to permanently fix?
    >>

    > Among the other things that have you tripped up is the FACT that W2000
    > has had many updates since the CD was produced. You likely had all of
    > the possible updates, the HDD crashed so you bought a new one, now you
    > have the Base Version of Win2000 installed, and there are no updates
    > available although there are literally hundreds of them that were
    > produced and distributed.
    >
    > It's entirely possible that the network drivers that exist on the HDD
    > are not distributed with the CD, and there is no network support. Of
    > course, if you are posting from the machine that has 'no network
    > support," then there is indeed network support and something else is the
    > matter. But if you are posting from a second machine, then the first has
    > no network drivers loaded.

    Got it fixed; see previous post.
    Note:
    Same machine in all cases (about 4 years old); different hard drives.
    Same Win2K SP3 disk, same SP4 (update) disk, same rollup#1
    (Windows2000-KB891861-v2-x86-ENU.EXE).

    Once i had some fun..on one HD, put the following OSes:
    DOS7.1, Win3.11, Win98SE, Win2K, WinXP, Win7; all worked.
    AFAIK that is the max due to only 4 partitions available.
    Robert Baer, Sep 20, 2012