No Collect Calls with TW Digital Phones

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Nehmo Sergheyev, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. I'm in Kansas City, Kansas.

    I just did two and a quarter days in jail. I bonded out, but I probably
    could have gotten things going faster if my home phone could have
    accepted collect calls. I then could have communicated with my wife more
    easily. In most jails nowadays, after an initial call, an inmate is only
    allowed to make collect calls.

    I had changed my home phone service from SBC (formally Southwestern
    Bell) to a so-called "digital phone" from Time Warner. (My ISP is
    Roadrunner through TW.) When I ordered the service, it never occurred to
    me that being able to accept collect calls is an important feature. I
    never asked if the feature were available, and I didn't know it wasn't
    working until I needed to make a collect call to home.

    The inability to accept collect calls isn't mentioned on
    http://www.twcdigitalphone.com/kansascity/faq.htm

    This missing feature is something to consider for those of you
    contemplating getting a TW phone.

    --
    *********************
    * Nehmo Sergheyev *

    Nehmo Sergheyev, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Nehmo Sergheyev

    Guest Guest

    Collect calls should be allowed. From the FAQ you sent. If you are still
    having problems with this contact your support number and make them find out
    why.

    Q: Can I receive collect calls?

    A: Yes. Your total collect call charges are listed together as
    Directory Assistance and Operator Services on your monthly bill. For
    call-by-call details, check your account at www.twcdigitalphone.com.

    Guest, Aug 13, 2004

  3. - spamtrap -
    > Collect calls should be allowed. From the FAQ you sent. If you are

    still
    > having problems with this contact your support number and make them

    find out
    > why.
    >
    > Q: Can I receive collect calls?
    >
    > A: Yes. Your total collect call charges are listed together as
    > Directory Assistance and Operator Services on your monthly bill. For
    > call-by-call details, check your account at www.twcdigitalphone.com.

    - Nehmo -
    I missed that. I just called TW customer service. Apparently
    collect-call acceptance was blocked on my line. I had got the phone in
    its beta days and TW didn't have it's questionare established then. Now
    they ask new customers if they want collect calls blocked or not.

    Now I have collect calls unblocked.

    I asked what the cost was: Collect calls to TW phones default to Sprint.
    The charge before tax is $3.95 to accept a collect call and +
    $.49/minute after.

    I'm not sure how making a collect call through another company would
    work. I would think it would be their rates. The jail I was in used
    Evercom.

    - Nehmo (original post) -

    Nehmo Sergheyev, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Nehmo Sergheyev

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <gHWSc.92404$-kc.rr.com> "Nehmo
    Sergheyev" <> wrote:

    >I just did two and a quarter days in jail. I bonded out, but I probably
    >could have gotten things going faster if my home phone could have
    >accepted collect calls. I then could have communicated with my wife more
    >easily. In most jails nowadays, after an initial call, an inmate is only
    >allowed to make collect calls.

    I might be wrong but I think you can dial calling card calls too, no?

    --
    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig

    DevilsPGD, Aug 13, 2004
  5. >>easily. In most jails nowadays, after an initial call, an inmate is only
    >>allowed to make collect calls.

    >I might be wrong but I think you can dial calling card calls too, no?

    Nope. Jail phones have their own peculiar class of service that
    permits only collect calls, not even calls to 800 numbers. Calls are
    randomly monitored to discourage inmates from planning new crimes with
    their friends on the outside.

    The collect service you get billed by is whichever one the jail uses.
    You have no choice. It's a famous ripoff scheme, the jail gets a
    commission on each call.

    John R. Levine, Aug 14, 2004
  6. - Nehmo -
    > >I just did two and a quarter days in jail. I bonded out, but I probably
    > >could have gotten things going faster if my home phone could have
    > >accepted collect calls. I then could have communicated with my wife more
    > >easily. In most jails nowadays, after an initial call, an inmate is only
    > >allowed to make collect calls.

    - DevilsPGD -
    > I might be wrong but I think you can dial calling card calls too, no?

    - Nehmo –
    Every institution has its own policy. In this particular place, the
    Johnson County Gardner Detention Center, an inmate, upon booking, gets
    a free card using Evercom
    http://www.evercom.net/EvercomCover/default.htm
    that has ten minutes on it. After an inmate gets moved into the
    general population, which comes after about five days, the inmate can
    then buy additional cards. I wasn't there that long, and I don't know
    how much the cards sell for per minute.

    An inmate can't use calling cards from a different company.

    I just noticed you can see, at least right now, my booking report at
    http://www.jocosheriff.org/Default.asp?incl=br
    Search for my unique first name, Nehmo. The data is somewhat
    incorrect. I was actually arrested several hours earlier. That time is
    when I arrived at that particular jail. And I also had to post bond on
    all the tickets - not just two.

    * Nehmo Sergheyev *

    Nehmo Sergheyev, Aug 14, 2004