no "click" - memory stick not connecting into Cyber-shot DSC-P30

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jeff, Oct 22, 2006.

  1. jeff

    jeff Guest

    My previous post was a bit unclear; I'll try and clarify the issue:

    I purchased a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30 on Ebay for $40, described as
    "in new condition." I received it today and it is in fact in pristine
    shape with all documentation, cables, CD and memory stick. This
    afternoon I attempted to set it up and take some sample pics. The
    problem is that you can't properly insert the memory stick. There's
    no "click." I tried pushing it in place with the power on until the
    stick is recognized and then closing the cover, but the recognition is
    lost; the camera can't read the card - "NO MEMORY STICK." I
    played with it a few times and once I was able to push the card into
    the camera where it successfully recognized the card, and I was able
    to take a few pictures. But that only worked once.

    I'm not very concerned about the possibility of having gotten ripped
    off for $40. The seller has 100 percent positive feedback and I'm
    confident he'll agree to a refund, however, I'd like to keep the
    camera instead, if i can get it to work properly. I like the camera.
    It was intended as a gift for my young daughter. It's ruggedly
    constructed and easy enough to operate for an eight year old.

    Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
    generally speaking?

    TIA,
    Jeff
    jeff, Oct 22, 2006

  2. jeff wrote:
    > My previous post was a bit unclear; I'll try and clarify the issue:
    >
    > I purchased a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30 on Ebay for $40, described as
    > "in new condition." I received it today and it is in fact in pristine
    > shape with all documentation, cables, CD and memory stick. This
    > afternoon I attempted to set it up and take some sample pics. The
    > problem is that you can't properly insert the memory stick. There's
    > no "click." I tried pushing it in place with the power on until the
    > stick is recognized and then closing the cover, but the recognition is
    > lost; the camera can't read the card - "NO MEMORY STICK." I
    > played with it a few times and once I was able to push the card into
    > the camera where it successfully recognized the card, and I was able
    > to take a few pictures. But that only worked once.
    >
    > I'm not very concerned about the possibility of having gotten ripped
    > off for $40. The seller has 100 percent positive feedback and I'm
    > confident he'll agree to a refund, however, I'd like to keep the
    > camera instead, if i can get it to work properly. I like the camera.
    > It was intended as a gift for my young daughter. It's ruggedly
    > constructed and easy enough to operate for an eight year old.
    >
    > Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
    > generally speaking?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jeff

    Could you not wedge a small piece of foam rubber between the flap and the
    top of the memory? The flap would then hold the memory in place.
    Dennis Pogson, Oct 22, 2006

  3. jeff

    EF in FLA Guest

    > Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
    > generally speaking?

    It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
    probably end up regretting it.

    ef
    EF in FLA, Oct 22, 2006
  4. jeff

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:36:39 GMT, "EF in FLA" <> wrote:

    >> Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
    >> generally speaking?
    >>

    >It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
    >probably end up regretting it.
    >
    >ef

    You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
    The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.

    Jack Mac
    Jack Mac, Oct 23, 2006
  5. jeff

    jeff Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:26:58 -0400, Jack Mac
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:36:39 GMT, "EF in FLA" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Has anyone ever had a problem like this, and if so, is it an easy fix,
    >>> generally speaking?
    >>>

    >>It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
    >>probably end up regretting it.
    >>
    >>ef
    >>

    >You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
    >The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.
    >
    >Jack Mac

    I know, but if I go out and purchase another Memory Stick and the
    fault is within the camera I'll be compelled to purchase another Sony
    product. But the suggstion is very reasonable. I know there are
    different Memory Stick variations that work with upgraded and newer
    Sony models. Where can I find a cheap, standard, 4MB, memory stick
    just for the sake of making sure it's not the camera? Thanks, Jeff
    jeff, Oct 23, 2006
  6. jeff

    jeff Guest

    realistically, a 64MB memory card rather....
    jeff, Oct 23, 2006
  7. jeff

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:12:42 -0400, jeff <> wrote:

    >realistically, a 64MB memory card rather....

    eBay.
    I see on the first page prices under $4 w/$4 shipping.
    How cheap do you want?
    No friends with Sony cameras? How about a local camera club, or local
    computer user group?
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Oct 23, 2006
  8. jeff

    John Turco Guest

    jeff wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:26:58 -0400, Jack Mac
    > <> wrote:

    > >>It's obviously defective. Get a refund on move on. If you don't you'll
    > >>probably end up regretting it.
    > >>
    > >>ef
    > >>

    > >You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
    > >The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.
    > >
    > >Jack Mac

    > I know, but if I go out and purchase another Memory Stick and the
    > fault is within the camera I'll be compelled to purchase another Sony
    > product. But the suggstion is very reasonable. I know there are
    > different Memory Stick variations that work with upgraded and newer
    > Sony models. Where can I find a cheap, standard, 4MB, memory stick
    > just for the sake of making sure it's not the camera? Thanks, Jeff

    Hello, Jeff:

    Buy a Memory Stick, locally, and save the receipt. If it doesn't work in
    your Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30, simply return it, for a refund.

    As to the camera, itself, just get your money back, if it still refuses
    to behave. There are plenty of cheap, similar models, on eBay.

    Be sure to find one that >doesn't< take proprietary memory cards (e.g.,
    Memory Stick), next time; choose SD, instead, as it's the most common
    type, by far, nowadays.

    Good luck and happy hunting!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Oct 24, 2006
  9. jeff

    jeff Guest

    On 24 Oct 2006 03:06:12 EDT, John Turco <> wrote:

    >jeff wrote:
    >>
    >> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:26:58 -0400, Jack Mac
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >You might try another Memory Stick in the camera before you return it.
    >> >The fault might rest with the included Memory Stick.
    >> >
    >> >Jack Mac

    >> I know, but if I go out and purchase another Memory Stick and the
    >> fault is within the camera I'll be compelled to purchase another Sony
    >> product. But the suggstion is very reasonable. I know there are
    >> different Memory Stick variations that work with upgraded and newer
    >> Sony models. Where can I find a cheap, standard, 4MB, memory stick
    >> just for the sake of making sure it's not the camera? Thanks, Jeff

    >Hello, Jeff:
    >
    >Buy a Memory Stick, locally, and save the receipt. If it doesn't work in
    >your Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30, simply return it, for a refund.
    >
    >As to the camera, itself, just get your money back, if it still refuses
    >to behave. There are plenty of cheap, similar models, on eBay.
    >
    >Be sure to find one that >doesn't< take proprietary memory cards (e.g.,
    >Memory Stick), next time; choose SD, instead, as it's the most common
    >type, by far, nowadays.
    >
    >Good luck and happy hunting!
    >

    >Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    That's exactly what I had intended on doing, however "Memory Stick
    Pro" is what's available in local stores, not "Memory Stick." It's
    not compatitble with this older camera. Anyway I ordered a "Memory
    Stick" for a few dollars on Ebay. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.
    It is an excellent suggestion. The Ebay seller who sold me the camera
    already committed to a full refund.

    Thanks for all of your responses... it really helped. If the camera
    ends up working with a new Memory Stick, which is my hope, I'll let
    you know.

    Jeff
    jeff, Oct 24, 2006
  10. jeff

    jeff Guest

    The camera works fine; it WAS the memory stick. I received a
    replacement in the mail today and it works. Removed it, put it in
    again, and it worked. I appreciate the advice and suggestions from
    the group.

    Thanks,
    Jeff
    jeff, Oct 25, 2006
  11. jeff

    Lefty Guest

    "jeff" <> wrote in message
    > The camera works fine; it WAS the memory stick. I received a
    > replacement in the mail today and it works. Removed it, put it in
    > again, and it worked. I appreciate the advice and suggestions from
    > the group.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jeff

    Another Happy Camper drives off into the sunset, singing Happy Trails To
    You.
    Lefty, Oct 25, 2006
  12. jeff

    John Turco Guest

    jeff wrote:

    > The camera works fine; it WAS the memory stick. I received a
    > replacement in the mail today and it works. Removed it, put it in
    > again, and it worked. I appreciate the advice and suggestions from
    > the group.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jeff

    Hello, Jeff:

    You're welcomed, and congratulations. Now, tell your little girl to get
    out there and snap some pictures! <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Oct 27, 2006