    I've unplugged all periphals, including the LAN cable. The machine is part
    of a 6 box LAN. All was fine at last shutdown after an update of MS
    Defender.

    1D1OT, Feb 23, 2009

  2. 1D1OT

    1D1OT Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Try a different power supply

    Thanks for the quick reply. I found the problem, but I'm worried about
    the ramifications. May have burned out the CPU. See the pic:
    http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3303889951/sizes/o/

    The metal retainer didn't touch any conductors, but the CPU may have
    overheated. I don't have another plastic cooler mount to try. Any
    suggestions?

    1D1OT, Feb 23, 2009

  3. 1D1OT

    1D1OT Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > Does the CPU look or smell burned?
    >
    > It (hopefully) shut down safely with built-in thermal protection.
    >
    > If it does not look or smell burned...
    >
    > once your cpu cooler is properly installed...you may very well be fine

    I've only got the side panel off now. It's the comp on the top shelf, left
    side (with the 10" side panel fan). Gotta get it down and to the workbench
    and see what goes. Or went. :-(
    Here's a pic of the setup:
    http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/2879849236/sizes/l/

    Joe

    1D1OT, Feb 23, 2009
  4. 1D1OT

    VanguardLH Guest

    1D1OT wrote:

    > My self-built Win XP Pro MCE machine will not boot. The BioStar splash
    > screen comes on, but then the machine shuts down before the P.O.S.T. data
    > displays.
    >
    > Biostar mobo, P-4 3.0 GB dual core, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB Hitachi IDE HDD, one LG
    > DVD IDE combo drive. multi-slot card reader (no cards inserted), no floppy
    > drive.
    >
    > I've unplugged all periphals, including the LAN cable. The machine is part
    > of a 6 box LAN. All was fine at last shutdown after an update of MS
    > Defender.

    See replies to your SAME post that you MULTI-posted to
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

    Learn to cross-post:

    A point not made is that N multiposted copies will consume N times the
    disk space for each of the separate copies of the same post.
    Crossposted messages have just *one* copy on the server with links in
    the newsgroups back to the same single copy. Multiposting wastes disk
    space on the server. Yes, your post may be small but remember that you
    consume N times the space on one server and then do so again on all the
    newsgroups servers worldwide. You waste more bandwidth getting N copies
    of your multiposted message distributed to all the newsgroups servers
    worldwide. Cross-posting has just one copy of the message on an NNTP
    server, and only one copy gets propagated to other NNTP servers.

    To those visiting the newsgroups, crossposting helps them see ALL the
    replies from those in the other RELATED newsgroup to which you linked
    your post. That way, they don't waste their time duplicating similar
    replies.

    Don't cross-post to more groups than needed if at all. Many consider
    cross-posting to more than 4 groups as rude and may filter out your
    post. The more groups you add, the less likely that they are related,
    the less accurate or focused are the targeted groups, or some of the
    included groups may already encompassed by another included but more
    general group. If the are subgroups under a topic, choose whether you
    will be specific or general in the targeted groups to which you post.
    Don't go shotgunning your post across multiple groups trying to capture
    as large an audience as possible as you will offend netizens with your
    poor aim.

    VanguardLH, Feb 23, 2009
  5. 1D1OT

    1D1OT Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message

    > See replies to your SAME post that you MULTI-posted to
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.
    >
    > Learn to cross-post:

    Hey thanks. I intend to learn how to cross-post, and why. Appreciate the
    advice.
    Joe Arnold

    1D1OT, Feb 23, 2009
  6. 1D1OT

    1D1OT Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > Looks great...
    > all you need is a couple more monitors <G>

    LOL Another brain would serve me better.

    1D1OT, Feb 23, 2009
  7. 1D1OT

    chuckcar Guest

    "1D1OT" <> wrote in

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> Try a different power supply

    > Thanks for the quick reply. I found the problem, but I'm worried about
    > the ramifications. May have burned out the CPU. See the pic:
    > http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3303889951/sizes/o/
    >
    > The metal retainer didn't touch any conductors, but the CPU may have
    > overheated. I don't have another plastic cooler mount to try. Any
    > suggestions?

    You're CPU isn't toast. *Nothing* at all would happen if that was the
    case. You get past the BIOS so it's absolute it's working fine.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 23, 2009
  8. 1D1OT

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:47:38 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > You're CPU isn't toast.

    Makes NO sense whatsoever.

    Aardvark, Feb 24, 2009