    The CD drive is OK-- it plays music CDs and I can install software there.
    The computer is fine- all updates installed, fully protected, etc.

    Any ideas to fix?
    Piso Mojado, Mar 14, 2008

  2. Piso Mojado

    Guest

    "Piso Mojado" <floormop@bucket> wrote:

    >I set my computer (Dell Dimension desktop, XP Pro) to boot first from the CD
    >drive to load a Live Ubuntu CD. The CD is good-- I can boot from it in other
    >computers but when this Dell starts, I get a one line message saying
    >"Booting From CD" with a flashing cursor-- for a minute or two-- but it
    >doesn't boot. After a while, it boots Windows normally from the HD.
    >
    >The CD drive is OK-- it plays music CDs and I can install software there.
    >The computer is fine- all updates installed, fully protected, etc.
    >
    >Any ideas to fix?

    Dirty CD. So it works on others, just clean it.
    --

    magic eye
    http://vortrack.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/magic-eye.gif

  3. Piso Mojado

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Piso Mojado" wrote in message
    > I set my computer (Dell Dimension desktop, XP Pro) to boot first
    > from the CD drive to load a Live Ubuntu CD. The CD is good-- I can
    > boot from it in other computers but when this Dell starts, I get a
    > one line message saying "Booting From CD" with a flashing cursor--
    > for a minute or two-- but it doesn't boot. After a while, it boots
    > Windows normally from the HD.

    You sure the Dell isn't telling that it found a bootable CD but is
    waiting for you to hit a key? Many computers are setup that they
    require you to hit a key when they find a bootable CD. If you don't
    hit a key in time, the prompt times out and the BIOS boots from the
    next device in the boot device sequence.
    VanguardLH, Mar 14, 2008
  4. Piso Mojado

    Piso Mojado Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Piso Mojado" <floormop@bucket> wrote:
    >
    >>I set my computer (Dell Dimension desktop, XP Pro) to boot first from the
    >>CD
    >>drive to load a Live Ubuntu CD. The CD is good-- I can boot from it in
    >>other
    >>computers but when this Dell starts, I get a one line message saying
    >>"Booting From CD" with a flashing cursor-- for a minute or two-- but it
    >>doesn't boot. After a while, it boots Windows normally from the HD.
    >>
    >>The CD drive is OK-- it plays music CDs and I can install software there.
    >>The computer is fine- all updates installed, fully protected, etc.
    >>
    >>Any ideas to fix?
    >>

    > Dirty CD. So it works on others, just clean it.
    > --

    I don't think that's it. If the CD was dirty, it wouldn't boot on the other
    computers, eh?
    Piso Mojado, Mar 15, 2008
  5. Piso Mojado

    Piso Mojado Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > "Piso Mojado" wrote in message
    >> I set my computer (Dell Dimension desktop, XP Pro) to boot first from the
    >> CD drive to load a Live Ubuntu CD. The CD is good-- I can boot from it in
    >> other computers but when this Dell starts, I get a one line message
    >> saying "Booting From CD" with a flashing cursor-- for a minute or two--
    >> but it doesn't boot. After a while, it boots Windows normally from the
    >> HD.

    > You sure the Dell isn't telling that it found a bootable CD but is waiting
    > for you to hit a key? Many computers are setup that they require you to
    > hit a key when they find a bootable CD. If you don't hit a key in time,
    > the prompt times out and the BIOS boots from the next device in the boot
    > device sequence.

    I'll try that-- but if it needed a key-hit, wouldn't there be a message to
    that effect?
    Piso Mojado, Mar 15, 2008
  6. Piso Mojado

    olfart Guest

    "Piso Mojado" <floormop@bucket> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    >> "Piso Mojado" <floormop@bucket> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I set my computer (Dell Dimension desktop, XP Pro) to boot first from the
    >>>CD
    >>>drive to load a Live Ubuntu CD. The CD is good-- I can boot from it in
    >>>other
    >>>computers but when this Dell starts, I get a one line message saying
    >>>"Booting From CD" with a flashing cursor-- for a minute or two-- but it
    >>>doesn't boot. After a while, it boots Windows normally from the HD.
    >>>
    >>>The CD drive is OK-- it plays music CDs and I can install software there.
    >>>The computer is fine- all updates installed, fully protected, etc.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas to fix?
    >>>

    >> Dirty CD. So it works on others, just clean it.
    >> --

    > I don't think that's it. If the CD was dirty, it wouldn't boot on the
    > other computers, eh?

    Well did you TRY cleaning it?? If the CD was dirty and the laser lens in the
    CD Drive is a little crappy too then the combination of the 2 Could...I said
    Could...cause your problem
    olfart, Mar 15, 2008
  7. Piso Mojado

    Guest

    "Piso Mojado" <floormop@bucket> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> "Piso Mojado" <floormop@bucket> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I set my computer (Dell Dimension desktop, XP Pro) to boot first from the
    >>>CD
    >>>drive to load a Live Ubuntu CD. The CD is good-- I can boot from it in
    >>>other
    >>>computers but when this Dell starts, I get a one line message saying
    >>>"Booting From CD" with a flashing cursor-- for a minute or two-- but it
    >>>doesn't boot. After a while, it boots Windows normally from the HD.
    >>>
    >>>The CD drive is OK-- it plays music CDs and I can install software there.
    >>>The computer is fine- all updates installed, fully protected, etc.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas to fix?

    >> Dirty CD. So it works on others, just clean it.

    >I don't think that's it. If the CD was dirty, it wouldn't boot on the other
    >computers, eh?

    I just bought Counter Strike, 4 DVD's and not a one could be read.

    I washed them - really windex and a towel, and they worked just fine.

    Windex and a towel isn't advised, but it sure beat trying to get my
    money back for an open game.

    --

    magic eye
    http://vortrack.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/magic-eye.gif
    can you make it out?
    , Mar 15, 2008
  8. Piso Mojado

    > "VanguardLH" wrote ...
    >>
    >> "Piso Mojado" wrote ...
    >>>
    >>> I set my computer (Dell Dimension desktop, XP Pro) to boot first
    >>> from the CD drive to load a Live Ubuntu CD. The CD is good-- I can
    >>> boot from it in other computers but when this Dell starts, I get a
    >>> one line message saying "Booting From CD" with a flashing cursor--
    >>> for a minute or two-- but it doesn't boot. After a while, it
    >>> boots Windows normally from the HD.

    >> You sure the Dell isn't telling that it found a bootable CD but is
    >> waiting for you to hit a key? Many computers are setup that they
    >> require you to hit a key when they find a bootable CD. If you
    >> don't hit a key in time, the prompt times out and the BIOS boots
    >> from the next device in the boot device sequence.

    > I'll try that-- but if it needed a key-hit, wouldn't there be a
    > message to that effect?

    Yep, but this is on the text screen after POST and could be a short
    1-liner, like "Hit a key to boot from CD ...". So you might miss it
    if your eyes aren't aimed at the lower part of the screen. The
    message may only be there for 3 to 5 seconds. Dell, HP, and other
    pre-built makers love to shove their spam screen (i.e., to announce
    their brand) on bootup so they may be oblitering this post-POST
    message when the BIOS detects a bootable disc in the CD drive.

    Do you have more than one CD/DVD drive in your system? Only the first
    physically detected may be usable as a boot device. Some hosts will
    only boot from the first physical CD/DVD drive. Some will list
    multiple CD/DVD drives *if* it finds bootable discs in each one.
    VanguardLH, Mar 15, 2008
  9. Piso Mojado

    > <> wrote ...
    >>
    >> Dirty CD. So it works on others, just clean it.

    > I don't think that's it. If the CD was dirty, it wouldn't boot on
    > the other computers, eh?

    Not all CD/DVD drives are created equal; otherwise, there would be
    just one brand. Some are also less tolerant of unbalanced discs.
    Does this bootable CD have a user-applied self-stick label on it?
    Also check for cloudy areas *inside* the disc (i.e., a defect where
    the disc becomes increasingly cloudy over time starting from one spot
    and growing from there).

    Are you inserting a bootable CD into the drive? Or are you inserting
    a bootable DVD disc into the drive? I've seen users that have a
    CD-ROM drive, a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive, a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, or a
    CD-RW/DVD-RW drive, and something they have 2 of them in different
    combinations. It could be that you are trying to boot from a DVD disc
    but putting it into a CD-ROM or CD-RW drive which doesn't understand
    how to read DVD discs.
    VanguardLH, Mar 15, 2008
  10. Piso Mojado

    G. Morgan Guest

    wrote:

    >magic eye
    >http://vortrack.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/magic-eye.gif
    >can you make it out?

    no!!
    -----
    Internal Server Error

    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to
    complete your request.

    Please contact the server administrator, and inform
    them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
    have caused the error.

    Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying
    to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    -----

    --

    I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
    Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org
    G. Morgan, Mar 16, 2008
  11. Piso Mojado

    Guest

    , Mar 16, 2008
  12. Piso Mojado

    Guest

    , Mar 16, 2008
  13. Piso Mojado

    G. Morgan Guest

    wrote:

    > G. Morgan <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>magic eye
    >>>http://vortrack.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/magic-eye.gif
    >>>can you make it out?

    >>no!!
    >>-----
    >>Internal Server Error

    >Just as well, it told you to get a life :)
    >
    >Here is a reply to the Magic-eye (Plus another one), and how to create
    >them with ascii.
    >http://reddit.com/info/6c128/comments/c03fxs1

    Ah hell... I can't see it. Those things give me a headache!

    G. Morgan, Mar 16, 2008
  14. Piso Mojado

    G. Morgan Guest

    G. Morgan, Mar 16, 2008
  15. Piso Mojado

    Guest

    Re: No boot from CD drive

    Piso Mojado wrote:
    > I set my computer (Dell Dimension desktop, XP Pro) to boot first from the CD
    > drive to load a Live Ubuntu CD. The CD is good-- I can boot from it in other
    > computers but when this Dell starts, I get a one line message saying
    > "Booting From CD" with a flashing cursor-- for a minute or two-- but it
    > doesn't boot. After a while, it boots Windows normally from the HD.
    >
    > The CD drive is OK-- it plays music CDs and I can install software there.
    > The computer is fine- all updates installed, fully protected, etc.
    >
    > Any ideas to fix?

    It may not be seeing your hardware correctly. I've had trouble with
    Linux CDs not booting in one and not another, especially older
    computers. Some give the same message that you get. Will any other cd
    that is bootable boot. Might I recommend PcLinux mini edition to try.
    , Mar 17, 2008