No boot : 9 beeps error SOLVED

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Nick Monyatovsky, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. For all those, who experience the same problem and cannot find a
    proper answer among the flood of nonsense suggestions and
    quotations...

    Contrary to so many posts that say that your motherboard had gone bad,
    or that your CPU is toast, or other nonsense like that...

    This is what you have to do:

    1) Find the battery on the motherboard that stores the CMOS
    settings.

    [ In my case it was easy to see -- it's a quater-size
    watch-type battery. Hard to miss. ]

    2) Remove it, and replace with a new one. The life expectancy
    of this battery is 2 years. Mine lasted 6 without problems,
    until one day I could no longer boot...

    3) Find the jumper on the motherboard that clears the CMOS.

    [ The motherboard documentation will tell you where it is. ]

    4) Clear the CMOS, using that jumper.

    [ The procedure will obviously vary from one manufacturer
    to the next.In my case (TYAN), I was following the
    instructions from my motherboard's documentation, but
    it was not working, and I started to suspect that, in fact,
    my motherboard is a gonner.

    Turns out the procedure was wrong! To reset the CMOS, I did
    not have to move the jumper to another position -- I had
    to remove it altogether. Boot the computer without the jumper.
    (Nothing will happen, and everything will be black). Then
    put the jumper into the proper position, and boot again.

    5) When the computer boots it will display the message that your CMOS
    settings are incorrect, and will stop and halt almost immediately.
    This is expected.

    Enter the BIOS and reset it to BIOS defaults.

    [ In AMI BIOS it can be done blindly (ie, if VGA is not working,
    and nothing is displayed, by pressing F5 (Setup Defaults) soon
    after entering the BIOS. Here is the procedure if you have to
    work blindly as I had since my AGP card would not be recognized;
    by default, the BIOS would direct a video signal to the PCI card,
    which I did not have. A special setting must be done in the BIOS
    to tell it that my primary display is AGP. ]

    Power up
    [DEL] to enter BIOS (some MB use F1, I've even seen F2)
    [F5] to "Load Setup Defaults"
    [ENTER] to confirm
    [F10] to "Save and Exit"
    [ENTER] to confirm

    After this your computer should come back.

    Good luck,
    -- Nick

    Nick Monyatovsky, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Nick Monyatovsky

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:31:01 -0400, Nick Monyatovsky
    <---@---> wrote:

    >For all those, who experience the same problem and cannot find a
    >proper answer among the flood of nonsense suggestions and
    >quotations...
    >
    >Contrary to so many posts that say that your motherboard had gone bad,
    >or that your CPU is toast, or other nonsense like that...
    >
    >This is what you have to do:

    I hate to break it to you, but the problem you experienced
    has multiple potential causes and you're looking somewhat
    naive to disount the more common ones like "motherboard gone
    bad" and calling them "nonsense". Generally posters make
    suggestions of what "could" be the problem but not a
    situation where "there is no other possible thing, no matter
    how remotely unlikely, that could be the cause instead".
    Every system is exposed to it's own variables that can (and
    do) differ from the next system or one in a hypothetic
    laboratory environment.

    The fact is that some boards do what you described with a
    drained battery and others do not, but usually it's more
    than just a drained battery, BUT on the other hand since
    your system was 6 years old, yes you should've checked all
    things that wear over time first, like the battery, fans,
    capacitors.

    If there weren't any suggestions to check the battery, it
    could be that nobody though of it "that time", on your
    particular post, or it could instead be that people get
    tired of posting same exact thing time and time again,
    hoping that a cursory search of resources like Google Groups
    would've revealed the typical troubleshooting methods to
    use. With such a large and comprehensive knowledgebase as
    Google groups available to anyone online, it would not be
    unreasonable to expect that if someone had a system that
    still wouldn't run, that the problem is less likely
    something simple and obvious like the battery.

    Regardless, it's good to know it's working again, and yes,
    checking the battery is one of the basic steps anyone should
    take when their system won't post.

    kony, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Hi Kony,

    You mentioned caps aging in your message.
    Is there an easy way to check them if they don't
    look bulged or burnt or unusual?
    Just curious.
    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mike Hollywood, Sep 9, 2005
  4. Nick Monyatovsky

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:39:19 -0400, "Mike Hollywood"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Kony,
    >
    >You mentioned caps aging in your message.
    >Is there an easy way to check them if they don't
    >look bulged or burnt or unusual?
    >Just curious.
    >Thanks,
    >Mike

    You can remove them from the board (or there is a circuit
    floating around to test caps in-circuit but I don't recall
    any details about it) to do it, but generally speaking
    unless it's one of those PCChips boards where it looked like
    they left every 3rd capacitor off the board to cut costs,
    you should be ok if they look fine, ie- the odds of it being
    the caps are then lower than (some other as yet unobvious
    problem). It's all about odds to a certain extent, where to
    look first and how much time to spend since a thorough test
    of every little chip is beyond the common skills of PC
    technicians and not cost-effective in how long it would take
    relative to the value of the equipment in other cases.

    Caps can certainly fail without looking bad but in general
    the failures seen on motherboards are in the power
    regulation areas and they do burst, or at least swell and
    discharge, it is visible.

    A board with marginal caps may seem less stable before they
    fail though, if you have further concerns about the caps
    then describe the make, model, values of the largest caps
    used.

    kony, Sep 9, 2005
  5. Nick Monyatovsky

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:31:01 -0400, Nick Monyatovsky <---@---> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >This is what you have to do:
    >
    >1) Find the battery on the motherboard that stores the CMOS
    > settings.

    >2) Remove it, and replace with a new one..

    >3) Find the jumper on the motherboard that clears the CMOS.

    >4) Clear the CMOS, using that jumper.
    >
    > To reset the CMOS, I did
    > not have to move the jumper to another position -- I had
    > to remove it altogether. Boot the computer without the jumper.
    > (Nothing will happen, and everything will be black). Then
    > put the jumper into the proper position, and boot again.

    I recall that the CMOS RAM on older motherboards that had RTC chips
    (eg Dallas) with sealed on-chip batteries sometimes needed to be
    cleared in this way. This was because there was no way to disconnect
    the battery from the RAM. These chips had a pin which was dedicated to
    clearing the RAM but it required that the chip be powered up, ie the
    chip's logic had to be involved in the process.

    -- Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Sep 9, 2005
  6. Nick Monyatovsky

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:39:19 -0400, "Mike Hollywood"
    <> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Is there an easy way to check [caps] if they don't
    >look bulged or burnt or unusual?

    The accepted method for testing electrolytic caps in-circuit is with
    an ESR (equivalent series resistance) meter. Unfortunately when many
    caps are connected in parallel it is difficult to isolate the faulty
    one(s) because one good one can make five bad ones look OK.

    -- Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Sep 9, 2005
  7. Nick Monyatovsky

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:31:01 -0400, Nick Monyatovsky
    > <---@---> wrote:
    >
    >>For all those, who experience the same problem and cannot find a
    >>proper answer among the flood of nonsense suggestions and
    >>quotations...
    >>
    >>Contrary to so many posts that say that your motherboard had gone bad,
    >>or that your CPU is toast, or other nonsense like that...
    >>
    >>This is what you have to do:

    > I hate to break it to you, but the problem you experienced
    > has multiple potential causes and you're looking somewhat
    > naive to disount the more common ones like "motherboard gone
    > bad" and calling them "nonsense". Generally posters make
    > suggestions of what "could" be the problem but not a
    > situation where "there is no other possible thing, no matter
    > how remotely unlikely, that could be the cause instead".
    > Every system is exposed to it's own variables that can (and
    > do) differ from the next system or one in a hypothetic
    > laboratory environment.
    >
    > The fact is that some boards do what you described with a
    > drained battery and others do not, but usually it's more
    > than just a drained battery, BUT on the other hand since
    > your system was 6 years old, yes you should've checked all
    > things that wear over time first, like the battery, fans,
    > capacitors.
    >
    > If there weren't any suggestions to check the battery, it
    > could be that nobody though of it "that time", on your
    > particular post, or it could instead be that people get
    > tired of posting same exact thing time and time again,
    > hoping that a cursory search of resources like Google Groups
    > would've revealed the typical troubleshooting methods to
    > use. With such a large and comprehensive knowledgebase as
    > Google groups available to anyone online, it would not be
    > unreasonable to expect that if someone had a system that
    > still wouldn't run, that the problem is less likely
    > something simple and obvious like the battery.
    >
    > Regardless, it's good to know it's working again, and yes,
    > checking the battery is one of the basic steps anyone should
    > take when their system won't post.

    Congrats, Kony, for a well-written and informative article. I think we
    would all benefit from re-reading this from time to time to remind ourselves
    to keep an open--as well as a diagnostic--mind when approaching problems.
    Especially enjoyed the absence of finger-pointing/accusations--just good,
    logical approaches. s

    sdlomi2, Sep 16, 2005