No AVI audio on WinVista 64bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?R2VudWluZSBVc2Vy?=, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. Brief description of my problem:

    I have NO audio in the AVI files from specific digital camera on Win Vista
    Business 64 bit while the same file plays WITH audio on Win XP Sp2 32 bit.

    This is the problem:

    The AVI files giving problem are produced with a digital camera Konica
    Minolta DiMage E500. On my other system Win XP SP2 32 bit I am able to hear
    the audio from the AVI in windows media player 11. From what I have seen in
    other communities are there other people having similar problems with other
    brands of digital cameras as well.

    The sound is configured properly on my Windows Vista Business 64 bit
    computer. I can hear audio from AVI movies from other camera brands. All AVIs
    from Konica Minolta DiMage E500 are not playing with audio in Windows Media
    player 11 on my Windows Vista Business 64 bit.

    Both on Win XP Sp2 32bit system and Win Vista Business 64 bit system when I
    play the AVI and take properties the info displays dash '-' for audio and
    video codec.

    In Windows Explorer taking file properties the Audio codec displayed is
    "CCIT u-LAW" on Win XP but Win Vista will not reveal the codec.

    I downloaded a freeware tool called AVIcodec tool version 1.2
    (http://avicodec.duby.info/) and this tool reports that the AVI from the
    Konica contains sound of the CCITT u-Law codec consistent with the file
    properties of Windows Explorer under Win XP 32 bit.

    The AVIcodec tool reports that both Win XP SP2 32bit and Win Vista Business
    64bit has the CCITT u-Law codecs installed and the version are identical to
    each other, version "4.0 .0".

    The only AVI related differences I can find is:

    Win XP SP2 32bit:
    AVI Decompressor: 6.05.2600.2749
    AVI Draw: 6.05.2600.2749
    AVI Mux: 6.05.2600.2180
    AVI Splitter: 6.05.2600.2749
    AVI/WAV File Source: 6.05.2600.2749

    Win Vista Business 64bit:
    AVI Decompressor: 6.06.6000.16386
    AVI Draw: 6.06.6000.16386
    AVI Mux: 6.06.6000.16386
    AVI Splitter: 6.06.6000.16386
    AVI/WAV File Source: 6.06.6000.16386

    Alternative 1: So either my Konica Minolta AVI is not complient to the CCIT
    codec but since it works on Win XP I don't beleive so.

    Alternative 2: There is a problem in the Windows Vista AVI splitters etc.

    I have not switched my Windows Vista to use 64 bit media player so
    theoretically should it still be using the default 32 bit executables and
    hence should this question maybe not be posted in the 64 bit community?

    Is there anything I could do?
    Are there anyone else out there with a similar problem trying other things?

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VudWluZSBVc2Vy?=, Jun 27, 2007

  2. I found a post to another group probably giving the solution to my problem. I
    sincerely thank this Adam Albright for writing such an excellent story.

    Here is what he wrote:

    ---------------------

    Subject: Re: playing avi files in media player 3/29/2007 5:07 PM PST

    By: Adam Albright In: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:57:28 -0500, "LaRoux" <>
    wrote:

    >If it's divX codec for WMP you want, go to www.divx.com and download the
    >divX for windows package. Several components aren't Vista compatible yet but
    >the codec is.

    The point is Media Player won't accept or stumbles on some codecs even if
    they're installed on your system. I can download some files, ask Media Player
    to play them and this is what happens:

    Example file claims it is AVI

    1. Media Player starts up, shows "acquiring codec" in lower left.
    2. About 20 seconds later it says "codec acquired".
    3. It starts to play the video portion only, not the audio.

    Now here's the fun part. What did Media Player just say? It acquired the
    codec. So you would think if I click on the file a second time it would just
    start to play right? No, it again says acquiring codec, another 20 seconds
    goes by, then again it plays just the video portion. If I repeat this
    exercise in stupidty ten times then Meida Player will say "acquiring codec"
    10 times each time again going out on the web looking for another copy of the
    same codec it already obviously has and again saying it is "installing" it,
    but never is it able to play the audio portion.

    Now the funniest part of all is I can open this video file in any one of my
    other players and it plays fine, BOTH the audio and video tracks, and no
    player except for brain dead Media Player needs to acquire any new codec off
    the web.

    Lets have even more fun. I open the example file in GSpot. (version
    2.70a)Surprise it isn't a AVI like the file pretends, it is a divX file.
    Since AVI is a wrapper, Media Player should be smart enough to read the file
    header like all my other players do before trying to play or jumping to
    conclusions it is a avi file. But alas, we're talking Microsoft software,
    which we all know isn't too smart.

    Lets look deeper. According to Gspot my system has no less then 6 codecs
    that can play the video stream in this file. Since Media Player did play the
    video portion it obviously used one of these, but apparently can't remember
    since it keeps going out to the web to get a fresh copy every time I ask
    Media Player to play it.

    The real problem with this file is Media Player won't play the audio track.
    Let's see if we can figure that out. Well guess what, according to GSpot it
    says among other codecs Windows Media audio codec and other compatable
    Microsoft audio codecs are already installed. This obviously must be so since
    all my other players can play this file fine accessing these codecs. Why
    can't Media Player?

    Deeper into the rabbit hole:

    Gspot has a tool that tests the playing of many kinds of video/audio files.
    It will look at your system and see which files should play the file. Seems
    simple enough. Gspot says file should play using codecs already there. What's
    that? Well, still deeper, if we click on that we learn the file that drives
    audio is called msaud32.acm and quartz.dll. Both of these should be in the
    Windows system 32 folder. Lets check. Both are. There are several other
    files, installed as other codecs, to avoid getting even more muddy, lets skip
    those.

    Remember GSpot can "render" a audio/video file. Not is the usual sense as it
    normally pertains to video editing, but a simpler meaning it that it can hook
    to Direct Show routines and attempt to play as if it was a player. Ok, lets
    try that. Now we're getting somewhere. GSport reports "partial render
    failure, video could be rendered, but audio could not. Hmm we already knew
    that, can Gspot tell us more?

    You bet. At this screen it just states a memory address with "unknown"
    behind it which just means something is preventing Media Player from playing
    the audio track.

    I don't give up easy, have you noticed?

    Gspot has another function called VGS that stands for Visual GOP Structure.
    First you need to learn what a GOP is. Still deeper into the rabbit hole.

    GOP is a video term that stands for Group Of Pictures. All compressed videos
    are comprised of different kinds of frames. These frames have different
    construct. You have 'I' frames, which refer to some intra frame image, these
    are based on actual data. Then you have 'P' frames which are actually
    predicted images from a construct of a prior actual ('I') video frame that
    the codec just guesses with and makes a I frame out of which is a educated
    guess of what the frame should be which reduces a lot of duplication and in
    part is what allows a file to get compressed. And lastly we have 'B' frames
    which are similar to P frames but forward or backward predictions of motion.
    All very interesting but beyond the scope of what we're trying to figure out
    right now. The point is GSpot shows a visual representation of the GOPs. The
    usefullness if this is it should find gaps or corruption if it exists in a
    video file.

    So does my test file have corruption in it? Yes! The GOP visual shows
    several flaws or corrupt frames, all happen to be I frames. This is likely
    what is preventing Media Player from playing the audio portion, since the
    first frame in this video is one that happens to be corrupt. Apparently Media
    Player was able to get over the hump and play the video track anyway, but
    failed to play the audio for this reason, while other players apparently were
    smart enough to skip over the file corruption.

    So now what? Well it doesn't really matter to me since I have other
    "smarter" players. But maybe we can fix it. Since corrupt files are a fact of
    life when downloading from the Internet for a whole host of reasons if helps
    to have some "repair tools" One such application is called Video Fixer. This
    is a class of application that can quickly scan a file see corrupt or missing
    segements if the file has been split and you jointed it, then make a offset
    adjust so it in effect rewrites the file skipping over the bumps. So I try
    that.

    Now finally Media Player can play the file, both video and audio.

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VudWluZSBVc2Vy?=, Jun 27, 2007

  3. I tried a couple of AVI fixing tools and they don't help on the kind of AVI
    file I have from a digital camera.

    I got a new shiny PC with a new operating system and especially audio things
    are shoppy or not working etc and worst of all there is a complete silence
    from the people who knows what is going on so the question is: anyone working
    on this problem? How long will it take to fix it?

    Here is another interesting post about the new audio system in Vista:

    http://forum.videohelp.com/topic317153.html?highlight=avi vista

    Subject: Audio - Vista's Achilles' Heel?
    Originally posted 20th of December 2006. That is about half a year ago.

    -----------------------

    I've been testing Vista (Ultimate RTM) for a little while, specifically with
    one of our apps under development.

    The video side of things is greatly improved (i.e., rendering video to a
    window or full screen) but...

    ....Vista's audio leaves a lot to be desired.

    Playing back DV AVI files (or a live DV feed) leads to very choppy audio -
    on the same PC under XP, the audio is perfect.

    After digging, I found out why: Vista uses a completely new audio subsystem.
    DirectSound is now emulated with software and no longers provides direct
    access to the audio hardware as it does in pre-Vista Windows.

    The fundamental problem with this is that any video processing applications
    that rely on DirectShow will, by default, use a DirectSound-based audio
    renderer. Such applications have to be rewritten to get around this.

    I have done this with our app and can confirm that, when a non-DirectSound
    renderer is used, the audio problems go away (same audio hardware, different
    driver model).

    Many modern motherboards have integrated audio, such as SigmaTel High
    Definition Audio Codec. This is available to applications via DirectSound,
    WaveOut and the new Vista audio layer.

    And there seems to be a bug, too. Using DirectSound, multiple applications
    can use the same piece of audio hardware - the OS mixes the different audio
    streams. Using the non-DirectSound way with a DirectShow application removes
    this mixing problem and, instead of just rendering a single audio stream, the
    apps lock up/misbehave. (Something else to 'program around'.)

    Though Microsoft have their reasons for changing the audio layer with Vista
    (mainly too many badly-written third party audio drivers causing BSODs),
    doing away with the hardware-accelerated DirectSound capability is, IMHO, a
    major oversight.

    Many existing applications may not perform as well on Vista, creating a bad
    user experience. Also, many legacy sound cards won't work - the manufacturers
    must provide new Vista drivers.

    My advice - be cautious about switching to Vista if you have apps that use
    DirectSound for audio (which includes DirectShow-based multimedia apps).

    Consider 64-bit XP Pro if you need a boost. Our 32-bit app definitely
    benefits from running on the 64-bit OS (since it is so DirectShow intensive).
    John Miller
    enosoft - high performance tools for music and video

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VudWluZSBVc2Vy?=, Jun 27, 2007