    video decoder error.

    Need to make home video DVDs and send out overseas to my parents for
    Christmas. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Astro, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Astro

    Peter Guest

    Download virtualdub freeware and load your avi.
    Then select File-File Informations and read what virtualdub reports about
    the audio part of your movie.
    You should see whether there is audio at all and how it is coded.
    Regards
    Peter

    Peter, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Astro

    Astro Guest

    Peter, thanks for the tip. I download Virtualdub and it shows there is
    no compression. The Audio is uncompressed PCM format. I am able to hear
    the Audio when I playback the clips in Virtualdub but can't hear
    anything in any other player (roxio, sonic, Windows Media Player,
    Ulead, etc). IWould you be able to help me with the next steps?

    Thanks so much.

    Astro
    Astro, Nov 30, 2005
  4. Astro

    Peter Guest

    Hi
    Usually uncompressed audio should not make any problems.
    What sample rate does virtualdub show, is it 48000Hz?
    Virtualdub allows to extract the audio part as a seperate wav file, you can
    do this by selecting File->save wav...
    Can windows media player play the wav then?

    Peter, Dec 1, 2005
  5. Astro

    Astro Guest

    The sample rate is 48000Hz in my file. I saved the audio as wav and it
    played (slightly distorted ...i.e with some lags/breaks in between). I
    then saved my AVI file under Virtualdub's "Save as AVI" feature. This
    the new AVI file created was huge (10x) and the audio and video played
    with the same slight distortion as the WAV. For a 25 second clip, here
    is the audio stream difference between the two files

    Original Audio Layout 76 chunks
    New layout 747 chunks
    Original Audio Min/avg/max/total frame size :64064/64064/64064 (4755K)
    New Audio Min/avg/max/total frame size : 96/6517/96000 (4755K)

    I am so lost as to what's going on. How could Virtualdub recognize the
    audio and no other software read? Hatsoff to the creators of
    VirtualDub. I wish Santa sends one of those to fix my problem.

    I am ready to try anything anyone is able to recommend because I may
    have to reformat drive and installl everything again if nothing works.

    Thanks again Peter.
    Astro, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Astro

    Peter Guest

    Hi
    The more I read the more I assume that your video file is OK but there is
    aproblem on your PC.
    Can you send me a short part of the clip by email, I can then have a look
    whether it plays fine on my PC or not.
    my email address is:
    I think its limited to about 10MB so try to send a small clip.

    Peter, Dec 2, 2005