    What could I try next? All suggestions welcome and followed through.

    Thanks
    Lizzie

    lizzieb, Aug 1, 2005

  2. lizzieb

    lizzieb Guest

    Re: No associations in XP what to try first?

    Have read about 1. using the Recovery Console to repair-
    1.. Insert your Windows CD into your computer and reboot.

    2.. When it prompts you to "Press Any Key to Boot from CD", press any key.

    3.. When the screen appears that gives you the options to Setup, Repair or
    Quit, press R on your keyboard to enter repair mode.

    4.. At the next screen select the installation of windows you would like
    to work on. For most people there will be only one option.

    5.. When prompted enter your administrator password and press enter on
    your keyboard.

    6.. When you get the prompt, type cd repair to enter the directory where a
    Registry backups is stored.

    7.. Type the following lines, pressing enter on your keyboard after each
    line:

    copy default c:\windows\system32\config
    copy sam c:\windows\system32\config
    copy security c:\windows\system32\config
    copy software c:\windows\system32\config
    copy system c:\windows\system32\config

    NOTE: If it prompts you to overwrite the existing files, select Y for yes.

    8.. When you are finished, type exit and press enter.

    9.. Remove your Windows CD and reboot.
    Or 2. Repairing the existing installation fron the CD

    Or 3. An article on how to recover from a corrupy registry on
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

    Should I try these options but in which order?

    Lizzie

    lizzieb, Aug 1, 2005

  3. lizzieb

    lizzieb Guest

    Re: No associations in XP what to try first?

    So would you do a "Repair Previous installation of windows" so you can use
    windows to save data onto CD then do the clean reinstall. Or just save data
    from the command prompt onto floppies?

    Thanks Lizzie

    lizzieb, Aug 1, 2005
  4. Re: No associations in XP what to try first?

    You could try to repair the installation though copying data to floppies
    would probably not work unless the user has very little to save. Other
    alternatives are to simply put his hard drive in another computer as a
    secondary/slave drive to copy his data files from or doing a parallel
    install of the operating system to access the files. Either way you may find
    that you can not access the files unless you logon as an administrator and
    take ownership first and then grant yourself permissions for the folders.
    The link below explains how to take ownership. XP Home requires that you
    boot into Safe Mode as an administrator to access ntfs permissions/folder
    security.

    FYI keep in mind that XP Pro and Windows 2000 has the capability to encrypt
    files with EFS. If a user has encrypted files with EFS then the files will
    not be accessible on another operating system unless the user has first
    backed up his EFS "private" key via a password protected .pfx file or the
    computer is a member of an Active Directory domain that has an EFS Recovery
    Agent configured for that computer.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223316 -- EFS best
    practices.

    Make sure that steps are taken to prevent the users computer from becoming
    infected with a virus again and scan all backed up data files for malware
    before copying back onto a computer. The link below may help. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx -- Protect
    your PC.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx --- Microsoft
    Baseline Security Analyzer

    Steven L Umbach, Aug 1, 2005
  5. lizzieb

    Guest

    Re: No associations in XP what to try first?

    1) sfc /scannow
    2) system restore

    Its a virus that hijacked the exe file extension - deleting the virus
    deleted the program that is supposed to open EXE files.

    example - winword.exe will not work, clicking on file.doc opens word.

    otherwise a repair install is probally the best idea

    , Aug 2, 2005
  6. lizzieb

    lizzieb Guest

    Re: No associations in XP what to try first?

    Thanks to all. Just an update: I did do a parallel install, took
    permissions and managed to save data! Before reformatting and doing a fresh
    install I tried a Repair but it was unrepairable with one of the error
    messages during the repair being "no file associations.... etc"

    Lizzie

    lizzieb, Aug 4, 2005
  7. lizzieb

    lizzieb Guest

    Re: No associations in XP what to try first?

    Just by the way after granting permissions for every folder I also had to
    grant permissions for every file I wanted to save!! Quite time consuming so
    was wondering if there was a way to do multiple files at one time?

    Thanks

    Lizzie

    "

    lizzieb, Aug 4, 2005
  8. lizzieb

    lizzieb Guest

    Re: No associations in XP what to try first?

    I have found out that you can change permissions for a folder and be able to
    apply it to subfolders and files by ticking the box Replace owner on
    subcontainers and objects see http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/acls2.shtml

    Thanks again
    Lizzie

    lizzieb, Aug 5, 2005
  9. Re: No associations in XP what to try first?

    In the advanced page of security you can propagate permissions to all child
    folders and files if need be. I forgot to mention there is also a cool tool
    called Bart's PE that can help in situations like you describe. Basically
    you use your copy of XP to create a limited installation on a cdrom that you
    can boot from to make repairs to an operating system you can not access. I
    believe it will also let you write to a cd burner. See the link below if
    interested. --- Steve

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Steven L Umbach, Aug 5, 2005
  10. lizzieb

    lizzieb Guest

    Re: No associations in XP what to try first?

    Hi - I have got a copy of that but never thought to try it so will know next
    time. Might just go and have a practise with it now and see if it can write
    to CD burner and/or memory stick.

    lizzieb, Aug 5, 2005
  11. lizzieb

    Tmack Guest

    Come on guys. I don't subscribe to this group to read about
    people's computer problems. There are other groups for that.

    This is a user group for people interested in getting CompTIA A+
    certified.

    Be fair to the rest of us and subscribe to a help user group.

    Thanks

    Tmack, Aug 10, 2005