No appetite for big open source development projects

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Nov 11, 2009.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Nov 11, 2009

  2. impossible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-11-11, impossible <> wrote:
    > Interesting take on the success (and failure) of Firefox.
    >
    > Again, I ask: Why has open-source developement of quality application
    > software proven to be such a bust?
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent..._five_years_in_the_open_source_hen_house.html

    What a funny perspective that chap has.

    Open scource software is just closing in on all sides. No big deal of
    marketing just a programme that keeps on getting better. Word of mouth works
    away and the software spreads.

    Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross platform. ;-
    Gordon, Nov 12, 2009

  3. impossible

    thingy Guest

    On Nov 12, 5:26 pm, Gordon <> wrote:
    > On 2009-11-11, impossible <> wrote:
    >
    > > Interesting take on the success (and failure) of Firefox.

    > > Again, I ask: Why has open-source developement of quality application
    > > software proven to be such a bust?

    > >http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181746/firefox_five_yea...

    > What a funny perspective that chap has.

    Indeed, as per Impossible focus on desktop applications, the world is
    far more, but that's MS blinkers for you. OS ppl as a rule are not the
    ppl interested in desktop eye candy...where its at is underneath
    that's where these guys work.

    In terms of eating...one OS guy creates an application that helps him
    and releases it for others, others in turn write and release so the
    original guy gets several applcations just by writing one...in effect
    its barter, money as in $ is just the proxy for labour and really
    energy....

    > Open scource software is just closing in on all sides. No big deal of
    > marketing just a programme that keeps on getting better. Word of mouth works
    > away and the software spreads.
    >
    > Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross platform. ;-

    Oh lets see Apache, Tomcat....to name but two. Even today Apache still
    holds double IIS's market share...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 12, 2009
  4. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    On Nov 12, 5:26 pm, Gordon <> wrote:
    > On 2009-11-11, impossible <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Interesting take on the success (and failure) of Firefox.

    > > > Again, I ask: Why has open-source developement of quality application
    > > > software proven to be such a bust?

    > > >http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181746/firefox_five_yea...

    > > What a funny perspective that chap has.

    > Indeed, as per Impossible focus on desktop applications, the world is
    > far more, but that's MS blinkers for you. OS ppl as a rule are not the
    > ppl interested in desktop eye candy...where its at is underneath
    > that's where these guys work.

    Underneath the desktop!?! LOL

    > In terms of eating...one OS guy creates an application that helps him
    > and releases it for others, others in turn write and release so the
    > original guy gets several applcations just by writing one...in effect
    > its barter, money as in $ is just the proxy for labour and really
    > energy....

    Yeah, right. Barter. Failure. Loser. Got it.

    > > Open scource software is just closing in on all sides. No big deal of
    > > marketing just a programme that keeps on getting better. Word of mouth
    > > works
    > > away and the software spreads.
    > >
    > > Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross platform.
    > > ;-

    > Oh lets see Apache, Tomcat....to name but two. Even today Apache still
    > holds double IIS's market share...

    Nothing on the desktop. What a shame!
    impossible, Nov 14, 2009
  5. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2009-11-11, impossible <> wrote:
    >> Interesting take on the success (and failure) of Firefox.
    >>
    >> Again, I ask: Why has open-source developement of quality application
    >> software proven to be such a bust?
    >>
    >> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent..._five_years_in_the_open_source_hen_house.html
    >>

    > What a funny perspective that chap has.
    >
    > Open scource software is just closing in on all sides. No big deal of
    > marketing just a programme that keeps on getting better. Word of mouth
    > works
    > away and the software spreads.

    Ms Penguin runs Ministry of Propaganda now?:

    > Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross platform.
    > ;-

    Name them.
    impossible, Nov 15, 2009
  6. impossible

    John Little Guest

    > > Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross platform.
    > > ;-

    > Name them.

    vim - DOS to mainframe
    John Little, Nov 15, 2009
  7. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message

    > > "Gordon" <> wrote in message

    > >> What a funny perspective that chap has.
    > >>
    > >> Open scource software is just closing in on all sides. No big deal of
    > >> marketing just a programme that keeps on getting better. Word of mouth
    > >> works
    > >> away and the software spreads.
    > >>

    > > Ms Penguin runs Ministry of Propaganda now?:
    > >
    > >> Some open source programmes are so good they have become cross
    > >> platform. ;-

    > > Name them.

    > vim - DOS to mainframe

    LOL. A text editor? Really!?!
    impossible, Nov 15, 2009
  8. impossible

    Biggles Guest

    On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:33:27 +0000, impossible wrote:

    >> > Ms Penguin runs Ministry of Propaganda now?:

    >> > Name them.

    >> vim - DOS to mainframe

    > LOL. A text editor? Really!?!

    They sure came up with a impressive list ,,,

    BigglessZZ
    Biggles, Nov 21, 2009