    I genuinely do want to learn, I guess I just might need more help than
    others.

    Oedipus! Phone your mother!!

    Squirrel, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Squirrel

    EMB Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > With the advent of so much user friendly software and equipment, I
    > make no apologies for this seemingly ridiculous question.
    >
    > Back to basics:
    >
    > Do memory measurements go in this order kb mg gig
    >
    > I use 1G BB for the speed and phone user ability, but I would like to
    > download a movie approx 700mg, does this mean most of my uasge, ie
    > 300mg left per month???
    >
    > I genuinely do want to learn, I guess I just might need more help than
    > others.

    Have a google for SI units if you want the definitive answer.

    And yes, 1GB is effectively 1000MB, so your maths is correct .

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Squirrel

    Tim Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:38:57 +1300, Squirrel wrote:

    > With the advent of so much user friendly software and equipment, I
    > make no apologies for this seemingly ridiculous question.
    >
    > Back to basics:
    >
    > Do memory measurements go in this order kb mg gig

    Correct

    > I use 1G BB for the speed and phone user ability, but I would like to
    > download a movie approx 700mg, does this mean most of my uasge, ie
    > 300mg left per month???

    Correct

    Tim, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Squirrel

    XPD Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > With the advent of so much user friendly software and equipment, I
    > make no apologies for this seemingly ridiculous question.
    >
    > Back to basics:
    >
    > Do memory measurements go in this order kb mg gig
    >
    > I use 1G BB for the speed and phone user ability, but I would like to
    > download a movie approx 700mg, does this mean most of my uasge, ie
    > 300mg left per month???
    >
    > I genuinely do want to learn, I guess I just might need more help than
    > others.

    KB, MB, GB - yup

    If you have a 1GB cap per month and you use 700 in a day or 2 for a movie,
    yes you do end up with 300mb left :)

    XPD, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Squirrel

    BTMO Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote

    > KB, MB, GB - yup

    Strictly, "KB" should be "kB".

    :)

    BTMO, Nov 29, 2005
  6. Squirrel

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "BTMO" <> wrote in message

    > "XPD" <> wrote
    >
    >> KB, MB, GB - yup

    > Strictly, "KB" should be "kB".
    >
    > :)

    Try telling Microsoft that.

    All posts show up in KB, not kB.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 29, 2005
  7. Squirrel

    BTMO Guest

    "E. Scrooge" <> wrote

    > Try telling Microsoft that.
    >
    > All posts show up in KB, not kB.

    They are Americans. Americans just don't get SI...

    BTMO, Nov 29, 2005
  8. Squirrel

    EMB Guest

    BTMO wrote:

    > They are Americans. Americans just don't get SI...

    ......among other things.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 29, 2005
  9. Squirrel

    Phstpok Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>With the advent of so much user friendly software and equipment, I
    >>make no apologies for this seemingly ridiculous question.
    >>
    >>Back to basics:
    >>
    >>Do memory measurements go in this order kb mg gig
    >>
    >>I use 1G BB for the speed and phone user ability, but I would like to
    >>download a movie approx 700mg, does this mean most of my uasge, ie
    >>300mg left per month???
    >>
    >>I genuinely do want to learn, I guess I just might need more help than
    >>others.

    > KB, MB, GB - yup

    and of course tB (terabyte). Which is not far from becoming the standard
    for home users. 500gB drives now available. Another year for tB drives,
    another year later that we will need them?

    Phstpok

    Phstpok, Nov 29, 2005
  10. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:48:06 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >Squirrel wrote:
    >> With the advent of so much user friendly software and equipment, I
    >> make no apologies for this seemingly ridiculous question.
    >>
    >> Back to basics:
    >>
    >> Do memory measurements go in this order kb mg gig
    >>
    >> I use 1G BB for the speed and phone user ability, but I would like to
    >> download a movie approx 700mg, does this mean most of my uasge, ie
    >> 300mg left per month???
    >>
    >> I genuinely do want to learn, I guess I just might need more help than
    >> others.

    >Have a google for SI units if you want the definitive answer.
    >
    >And yes, 1GB is effectively 1000MB, so your maths is correct .

    thanx

    Oedipus! Phone your mother!!

    Squirrel, Nov 29, 2005
  11. "BTMO" <> wrote in message

    > "XPD" <> wrote
    >
    >> KB, MB, GB - yup

    > Strictly, "KB" should be "kB".
    >
    > :)

    'k' is the symbol for kilo and denotes 1000. 1kB = 1000 bytes.
    'K' is used to denote 1024. It's said as "kay", not "kilo". 1KB = 1024
    bytes

    KB is used when calculating memory size, as opposed to file size or the
    amount of data downloaded.

    1GB of memory = 1024KB x 1024KB x 1024KB.
    1GB of p0rn = 1000kB x 1000kB x 1000kB

    I think 'K' is also used when calculating SCSI drive capacity, but not for
    IDE drives.

    This should muddy things up for everyone.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Nov 29, 2005
  12. "The Black Wibble" <> wrote in message

    > KB is used when calculating memory size, as opposed to file size or the
    > amount of data downloaded.

    Ha ha.... tricked you all. I know KB is used to calculate file size, too.
    <moan>

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Nov 29, 2005
  13. Squirrel

    XPD Guest

    "BTMO" <> wrote in message

    > "XPD" <> wrote
    >
    > > KB, MB, GB - yup

    > Strictly, "KB" should be "kB".
    >
    > :)

    Yeah thought someone would notice hehehe ;)

    XPD, Nov 29, 2005
  14. Squirrel

    David Guest

    Tim wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:38:57 +1300, Squirrel wrote:
    >

    >>With the advent of so much user friendly software and equipment, I
    >>make no apologies for this seemingly ridiculous question.
    >>
    >>Back to basics:
    >>
    >>Do memory measurements go in this order kb mg gig

    > Correct
    >

    >>I use 1G BB for the speed and phone user ability, but I would like to
    >>download a movie approx 700mg, does this mean most of my uasge, ie
    >>300mg left per month???

    > Correct

    Of course that depends how you download it, overheads will add a few MB,
    and if its p2p, uploads will almost certainly put you over the 1GB

    David, Nov 29, 2005
  15. Squirrel

    Squirrel Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:25:23 +1300, David <> wrote:

    >Tim wrote:
    >> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:38:57 +1300, Squirrel wrote:
    >>

    >>>With the advent of so much user friendly software and equipment, I
    >>>make no apologies for this seemingly ridiculous question.
    >>>
    >>>Back to basics:
    >>>
    >>>Do memory measurements go in this order kb mg gig

    >> Correct
    >>

    >>>I use 1G BB for the speed and phone user ability, but I would like to
    >>>download a movie approx 700mg, does this mean most of my uasge, ie
    >>>300mg left per month???

    >> Correct
    >>

    >Of course that depends how you download it, overheads will add a few MB,
    >and if its p2p, uploads will almost certainly put you over the 1GB

    Thought it was too good to be true, download Saw 2 in two pieces,
    looks like it was someone who went to the movies with a video
    recorder, there is a name for this isnt there?

    Oedipus! Phone your mother!!

    Squirrel, Nov 29, 2005
  16. Squirrel

    PAM. Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > Thought it was too good to be true, download Saw 2 in two pieces,
    > looks like it was someone who went to the movies with a video
    > recorder, there is a name for this isnt there?

    alt.binaries.x
    alt.binaries.nl

    There's a coupla others too.
    Lucky/shame, I don't get these ngs.

    PAM.

    PAM., Nov 29, 2005
  17. Squirrel

    BTMO Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote

    >>KB, MB, GB - yup

    > To be piccy, kB, MB, GB ... and I'm not entirely sure of the "B" :)
    >

    > Bruce

    There is still Phstpok's "tB" to have a go at...

    ... go on - you know you want to!

    :-D

    BTMO, Nov 29, 2005
  18. Squirrel

    David Guest

    Squirrel wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:25:23 +1300, David <> wrote:
    >

    >>Tim wrote:

    >>>Correct

    >>>Correct
    >>>

    >>Of course that depends how you download it, overheads will add a few MB,
    >>and if its p2p, uploads will almost certainly put you over the 1GB

    > Thought it was too good to be true, download Saw 2 in two pieces,
    > looks like it was someone who went to the movies with a video
    > recorder, there is a name for this isnt there?

    Yep, CAM. More common are TeleSync (TS), which are still done with a
    camera but with external audio source. Often they can be quite good
    though, if done from the projector booth in an empty cinema. Telecines
    are the best (apart from DVDRips) but rarer.

    David, Nov 29, 2005
  19. In article <>, "XPD" <> wrote:

    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >> With the advent of so much user friendly software and equipment, I
    >> make no apologies for this seemingly ridiculous question.
    >>
    >> Back to basics:
    >>
    >> Do memory measurements go in this order kb mg gig
    >>
    >> I use 1G BB for the speed and phone user ability, but I would like to
    >> download a movie approx 700mg, does this mean most of my uasge, ie
    >> 300mg left per month???
    >>
    >> I genuinely do want to learn, I guess I just might need more help than
    >> others.

    >KB, MB, GB - yup

    To be piccy, kB, MB, GB ... and I'm not entirely sure of the "B" :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 30, 2005
  20. In article <_dVif.4486$>, "BTMO" <> wrote:

    >"XPD" <> wrote
    >
    >> KB, MB, GB - yup

    >Strictly, "KB" should be "kB".

    Bother !. I really should read all the posts in a thread before replying :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 30, 2005