    download an upgrade from, for activex, says I am not. I have checked and I
    can't figure out how to get IE7 to get by this.

    How do I correct this?

    richard, Nov 9, 2007

  2. richard

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Vista Home Premium edition.
    >
    > Huh? Everything shows me I am the administrator, yet the website I want to
    > download an upgrade from, for activex, says I am not. I have checked and I
    > can't figure out how to get IE7 to get by this.
    >
    > How do I correct this?

    A user with Admin rights is locked down on Vista and only has Standard user
    rights in some cases. The user's rights sometimes even Admin rights have to
    be escalated with Run As Administrator.

    You can always turn UAC off and back on, but you should learn how to work
    with UAC.

    <http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/12/19/turn-off-or-disable-user-account-control-uac-in-windows-vista/>

    You should think about installing that ActiveX control. You should check
    with the vendor to see if any software you're trying to install is Vista
    compatible, because otherwise, you might be faced with grief and trouble as
    the software you introduce to the system may cause applications such as IE
    and others to crash.

    You can post to MS.Public.Windows.Vista.General or Security for help at
    msnews.microsoft.com

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 9, 2007

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 15:58:48 -0500, Mr. Arnold wrote:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Vista Home Premium edition.
    >>
    >> Huh? Everything shows me I am the administrator, yet the website I want to
    >> download an upgrade from, for activex, says I am not. I have checked and I
    >> can't figure out how to get IE7 to get by this.
    >>
    >> How do I correct this?

    > A user with Admin rights is locked down on Vista and only has Standard user
    > rights in some cases. The user's rights sometimes even Admin rights have to
    > be escalated with Run As Administrator.
    >
    > You can always turn UAC off and back on, but you should learn how to work
    > with UAC.
    >
    > <http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/12/19/turn-off-or-disable-user-account-control-uac-in-windows-vista/>
    >
    > You should think about installing that ActiveX control. You should check
    > with the vendor to see if any software you're trying to install is Vista
    > compatible, because otherwise, you might be faced with grief and trouble as
    > the software you introduce to the system may cause applications such as IE
    > and others to crash.
    >
    > You can post to MS.Public.Windows.Vista.General or Security for help at
    > msnews.microsoft.com

    thanks for the info. The item I'm trying to work with is a Sandisk Micro
    Cruzer flash drive. I plugged it into my XP laptop and it initiated and
    installed itself with no troubles.I have written to sandisk with no reply
    so far.

    richard, Nov 9, 2007
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 15:58:48 -0500, Mr. Arnold wrote:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Vista Home Premium edition.
    >>
    >> Huh? Everything shows me I am the administrator, yet the website I want to
    >> download an upgrade from, for activex, says I am not. I have checked and I
    >> can't figure out how to get IE7 to get by this.
    >>
    >> How do I correct this?

    > A user with Admin rights is locked down on Vista and only has Standard user
    > rights in some cases. The user's rights sometimes even Admin rights have to
    > be escalated with Run As Administrator.
    >
    > You can always turn UAC off and back on, but you should learn how to work
    > with UAC.
    >
    > <http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/12/19/turn-off-or-disable-user-account-control-uac-in-windows-vista/>
    >
    > You should think about installing that ActiveX control. You should check
    > with the vendor to see if any software you're trying to install is Vista
    > compatible, because otherwise, you might be faced with grief and trouble as
    > the software you introduce to the system may cause applications such as IE
    > and others to crash.
    >
    > You can post to MS.Public.Windows.Vista.General or Security for help at
    > msnews.microsoft.com

    Turned off UAC and rebooted, leaving the flash drive in place. Once system
    rebooted, the flash drive was properly installed with no problems.

    richard, Nov 9, 2007