no 802.11g, no WPA....

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by France, May 19, 2008.

  1. France

    France Guest

    Hi! I have created an Ad Hoc Home network:
    - PC Desktop Windows XP SP3, USB Adapter DWL-G132 updated (for the problem
    of *.dll after SP3 ), modem ADSL etc....
    - Notebook samsung r700 Vista Home Premium SP1with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless
    3945BG Network Connection

    First i have installed the USB adapter on Desktop, then i have created the
    ad hoc home network (IP manually assigned etc).
    Second i have connected the notebook to the ad hoc network.
    All works fine, and i connect to the web by the desktop pc, BUT
    i) i can only use WEP (not WPA, but the use adapter can use WPA encryption)
    ii) with the command "netsh wlan show all" i can see that the radio
    frequency is 802.11b (Mbps 125.5 11) and NOT 802.11g (both USB Adapter dlink
    and notebook can use 802.11g)
    iii) I have to connect from notebook always manually (not auto
    connection)....
    what is wrong?
    I heve tried installing and re-installing USB adapter but nothing changes.
    Any suggestion?
    thank you and sorry for my english
    France

    France, May 19, 2008

  2. You may need to install Microsoft hotfix. This post may help.

    XP doesn't have WPA option
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=6459#6459

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), May 19, 2008

  3. France

    France Guest

    Thank you for the answer, but I had already installed the hotfix. Few days
    ago I installed SP3, too (which, I think enables WPA encryption on XP
    platform).
    francesco

    France, May 19, 2008
  4. France

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Many wireless adapters cannot use WPA in ad-hoc mode

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, May 19, 2008
  5. France

    John Guest

    XP SP2 does support WPA but does not support WPA2 without KB917021 patch

    XP SP3 supports WPA2.

    John, May 19, 2008
  6. France

    France Guest

    "Barb Bowman" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Many wireless adapters cannot use WPA in ad-hoc mode

    I think this is the most reasonable... I'll post this question to D-Link
    support.
    Thank you all.
    France

    France, May 19, 2008
  7. France

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, May 19, 2008
  8. France

    Pavel A. Guest

    By all means, just use a wireless router or AP instead of adhoc.
    This can save many nerve cells to you, us and dlink support.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., May 19, 2008
  9. France

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <> schreef in bericht
    > You may need to install Microsoft hotfix. This post may help.
    >
    > XP doesn't have WPA option
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=6459#6459

    It doesn't?? And I have no problems with W2k using WPA??

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, May 20, 2008
  10. Hi
    If you hurry you can alleviate your WPA "torture" ;) for $5 after rebate
    (the rebate ends today).
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156038
    If you are Not in the USA you probably find a good deal on a Wireless Router
    on your local too.
    From an End-Users perspective, some Network capacities were included in the
    OS because their were widely needed years ago.
    Ad-Hoc, and ICS are example for it. There is better solution today and there
    is No reason to use old solutions unless there is a specific tech. needs.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 20, 2008
  11. Sorry, wrong link. Some old wireless NICs don't support support WPA.

    XP with KB917021 doesn't have WPA & WPA2 options
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=4056

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), May 20, 2008