No 80 Conductor Cable?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:21:31 +0100, ripper wrote:

    >When I boot up my pc there is a message No 80 Conductor IDE Cable installed.

    You, didn't say much about the mobo, BIOS, drive models. Did this just
    start happening or have you changed / upgraded anything?

    >I have two HD's installed & configured master/slave. They are connected by
    >80 conductor IDE on Primary.

    Do you get the same message with only one drive?

    >ANyone know why I still get this message?

    Can you put the drives on IDE0/1 (or other IDE) so they aren't on the
    same cable.

    www.google.com
    Searched English pages for "No 80 Conductor"
    Results 1 - 10 of about 95. Search took 0.15 seconds.

    Me

    ripper, Oct 5, 2003

  3. why?

    ripper Guest

    Sorry, got my original posting wrong. PC configured as follows:
    Pri IDE - HD Master & DVD Slave
    Sec IDE - HD Master & CDRW Slave
    Problem only started after fitting second HD on secondary IDE.
    I did not get this message before fitting second HD.
    Details
    Mobo VIA Technologies, Inc. P4X266-8233
    BIOS VIAP4X - 42302e31
    Second HD Fitted 80GB Maxtor D/Max+9 ATA133/7200 8Mb

    ripper, Oct 5, 2003
  4. why?

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 22:43:32 +0100, ripper wrote:

    >The message refers to the secondary IDE channel.
    >"ripper" <jim@MS_security.patch> wrote in message
    >> Sorry, got my original posting wrong. PC configured as follows:
    >> Pri IDE - HD Master & DVD Slave
    >> Sec IDE - HD Master & CDRW Slave
    >> Problem only started after fitting second HD on secondary IDE.
    >> I did not get this message before fitting second HD.

    So besides the new Sec IDE HD Master , you also replaced the 40 pin
    cable with the newer 80 pin cable. The Sec IDE / CDRW Slave was on a 40
    pin cable. The HD should work fine on the 40 cond/ cable you just won't
    get the ATA133 performance.

    You may want to have a look around, http://www.pcguide.com/

    >> Details
    >> Mobo VIA Technologies, Inc. P4X266-8233
    >> BIOS VIAP4X - 42302e31
    >> Second HD Fitted 80GB Maxtor D/Max+9 ATA133/7200 8Mb

    With the new HD being a ATA 133, it's a sure bet the CDRW is not, and
    IIRC the i/f's are pulled down to the lowest common ATA/DMA speed, that
    of the CDRW which may be ATA 33/66.

    If you disconnect (for a few minutes) the CDRW and reboot, do you still
    get the message?

    When I upgraded to ATA 133's I did this - (allowing for the fact I had
    IDE0-3)

    IDE0, Master ATA 133 80 cond. cable
    IDE1, Master CDRW and Slave DVDROM , 40 Cond. cable
    IDE2, Master / Slave matched pair Maxtor DiamondMax, 80 Cond. cable

    As you only have IDE0/1 (or in any case) it's best to keep like
    interfaces (100/133 , 33/66) together or at least HDs together and
    non-HDs together. IMHO.

    why?, Oct 5, 2003
  5. why?

    ripper Guest

    ripper, Oct 5, 2003
  6. why?

    dr_hardwrae Guest

    > Sorry, got my original posting wrong. PC configured as follows:
    > Pri IDE - HD Master & DVD Slave
    > Sec IDE - HD Master & CDRW Slave
    > Problem only started after fitting second HD on secondary IDE.
    > I did not get this message before fitting second HD.
    > Details
    > Mobo VIA Technologies, Inc. P4X266-8233
    > BIOS VIAP4X - 42302e31
    > Second HD Fitted 80GB Maxtor D/Max+9 ATA133/7200 8Mb

    It's best to have the hard drives on one channel and the CD-RW on the
    secondary channel with the DVD drive as the slave.

    dr_hardwrae, Oct 5, 2003
  7. Howdy!

    > When I boot up my pc there is a message No 80 Conductor IDE Cable

    installed.
    > I have two HD's installed & configured master/slave. They are connected by
    > 80 conductor IDE on Primary.
    > ANyone know why I still get this message?

    Cable turned backwards?

    Cable defective?

    I/O port on motherboard damaged or defective? (It reads the grounded
    / not grounded status of a pin to decide if it's 80 conductor or not.)

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 6, 2003
  8. Howdy!

    > The message refers to the secondary IDE channel.

    OK - do you have an 80 conductor cable on the secondary channel
    also?

    If not, then you're being told what the situation is.

    Either install an 80 conductor cable, or just let the warning
    message (note: It's only an ERROR message if you have an 80 conductor cable
    installed!) slide on by when you boot.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 6, 2003
  9. why?

    kcire00

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Any help....

    There is this message when i turn my computer. Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed but then, when the computer is trying to load the OS it turns off and then turns back on by itself what could it be?
    kcire00, Nov 14, 2007
  10. why?

    jjohn

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    im having this problem to please help There is this message when i turn my computer. Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed but then, when the computer is trying to load the OS it turns off and then turns back on by itself what could it be?
    jjohn, Nov 9, 2008