    I've checked eVGA's and nVidia's websites and they both claim that my 8800
    GT and 169.02 driver can display many more resolutions than are available to
    me.
    Brian Weigand, Dec 21, 2007

  2. Brian Weigand

    Carlos Guest

    Brian,
    Has Vista properly detected your monitor?
    I mean, what do you see in Device Manager under Monitors?
    Is it a "Samsung SyncMaster..." or just a generic one?
    Maybe you are needing to download the driver (just an *.inf file) from
    Samsung for your monitor.
    Those inf files tell the graphic card (among other things) which resolutions
    are properly handled by the monitor.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 21, 2007

  3. Device manager only shows a Generic PnP Monitor. I'll see if I can find a
    driver from Samsung. I hope I can...my CRT is kinda old though...wonder if
    Samsung would even have bothered with a x64 driver.

    Brian Weigand, Dec 21, 2007
  4. Brian Weigand

    Carlos Guest

    Brian,
    At least we know what is going on.
    If you cannot find any driver from Samsung, try with another generic
    monitors offered by Vista.
    Try also right clicking on the desktop, choosing Properties.
    I am not at a Vista PC right now so I cannot guide you step by step, but I
    think that you have to choose the last option shown next.
    Click on Advanced and go to the monitor tab.
    See if there is a check in "Hide ..." and uncheck it.
    That should make available another resolutions.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 21, 2007
  5. Brian Weigand

    John Barnes Guest

    No problems here with that resolution. I have the 169.25 driver and Vista
    Ultimate64.

    John Barnes, Dec 21, 2007
  6. Brian Weigand

    John Barnes Guest

    In Device Manager and Personalise/settings, my monitor also shows as generic
    PNP. If I right click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel, the
    correct monitor make and model is shown on the change resolution pane.

    John Barnes, Dec 21, 2007
  7. Brian Weigand

    Carlos Guest

    And here, XP x86 at my office, I have the monitor properly identified in
    Device Manager and a "Default Monitor" in the "right click on the desktop..."
    thing.
    Go figure!
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 21, 2007
  8. Thanks for the tip, John! Turns out the 169.25 drivers just came out of beta
    yesterday (12/20/07). I downloaded and installed them and now I have the
    1152 x 864 display option, along with all the other resolution options I used
    to have with XP!

    You know, I remember seeing those drivers earlier this week as a beta and
    almost installed them...didn't though because I hate using beta drivers. I
    don't have time to do nVidia's testing for them.

    BTW--I should probably open a new thread for this, but do you guys know how
    to disable the notification that UAC is turned off *without* disabling all
    Windows Security Alerts? I turned UAC off and don't want to be constantly
    reminded to turn it back on, but I do want to receive other Windows security
    notifications.

    Brian Weigand, Dec 22, 2007
  9. Brian Weigand

    Carlos Guest

    Control Panel, Security, Security Center
    Left Pane, "Change the way..."
    There you have the option.
    Carlos
    P.S.: Translated from Spanish to English, so menu names may vary

    Carlos, Dec 22, 2007
  10. Thanks Carlos, but that will turn off ALL of the security notifications. I
    still want to be notified about everything else except for UAC. There
    doesn't seem to be an option to turn off notifications for individual
    components within the security center.

    Brian Weigand, Dec 22, 2007
  11. Brian Weigand

    Carlos Guest