No 1080p in HD-DVD or BluRay 1.0 (apparently)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Great. I'll get right on to buying a Hardware device that doesn't
    fully implement the not-yet-established specs. great idea! No 1080p
    out is not a big deal since all those 1080p TVs don't take a 1080p
    INPUT.

    Man this is becoming an ever-worsening FusterCluck. LMAO.

    -goro-

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa115.html

    Well... it's looking like HD-DVD may launch on time in March after
    all, but don't expect the format's full interactive features to be
    available in the first two players to market (Toshiba's HD-XA1 and
    HD-A1). Industry reports now indicate that an interim license for the
    Advanced Access Content System (AACS) has been obtained that will allow
    Toshiba to move forward with the format launch as planned. According to
    a story at Home Media Retailing, "the interim agreement gives hardware
    manufacturers and disc replicators access to secret encryption keys
    necessary to manufacture discs and players capable of reading them."
    Once the final AACS details are ironed out, you'll be able to update
    the two Toshiba players with a firmware upgrade. You can read more on
    this here at Video Business as well.

    FYI, don't expect full 1080p video to be an option on first generation
    players either (at least the first HD-DVD players). We've been told by
    player manufacturing sources involved with HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc that
    version 1.0 of the HDMI spec may only allow video pass-thru up to
    1080i. On the other hand, we're also hearing that the HDMI people claim
    their spec CAN pass full 1080p, but that the manufacturers are cutting
    corners on their first generation players to save profit margins and
    are trying to pass the buck on the HDMI spec. We're checking on this
    and we'll post a follow-up on the issue next week.

    As part of Toshiba's format launch, the company will be taking to the
    road starting on 2/20 with an in-store demonstration program that's
    expected to continue through April and stop in over 40 cities. Among
    the first few stops are the following:
    Goro, Feb 21, 2006

  2. Goro

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Goro () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    |> We've been told by
    |> player manufacturing sources involved with HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc that
    |> version 1.0 of the HDMI spec may only allow video pass-thru up to
    |> 1080i. On the other hand, we're also hearing that the HDMI people claim
    |> their spec CAN pass full 1080p, but that the manufacturers are cutting
    |> corners on their first generation players to save profit margins and
    |> are trying to pass the buck on the HDMI spec.

    Since the video portion of HDMI is 100% DVI-D compatible and I'm running
    a 1920x1080/60p DVI-D output to a computer monitor, of *course* HDMI is
    fully 1080p compatible.

    I don't know who player manufacturers think they are trying to fool.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But
    Jeff Rife, Feb 21, 2006