    I end running multiple virus scans and register scan. I usually find one
    to three tracking cookies but they are HTTP.
    what am I missing here?
    tightwad, Nov 28, 2005

  2. "tightwad" <@plum.net> wrote in message news:V4tif.3883$...
    > First: I am no Computer Genius. First grade maybe.
    > Sometimes when I connect to or am already connected to the News Server I
    > will get 1 or multiple extra connections from different ports to NNTP.This
    > blocks access and a number of other irregularities.
    > Sometimes the extra connections just go away as if I switched them off.
    > At other times shutting down and restarting will clear the problem but not
    > always.
    > I end running multiple virus scans and register scan. I usually find one
    > to three tracking cookies but they are HTTP.
    > what am I missing here?

    Depends on the news reader client you are using ... Outlook express opens
    three threads if i remember rightly, and they will spawn reasonably well at
    will to see if you have new mails or new articles to read, to synchronize
    the accounts etc etc. Grabit for example can throw eight threads in at one,
    but some servers will complain about nore more than three concurrent
    connections allowed.

    It is normal behaviour. Well as lomg as they are using the ports allocated,
    ie. 110 for pop, 119 for nntp and 25 for smtp, as defaults, if your isp uses
    custom settings then these should match with your custom ports.

    HTH

    Martin Spencer-Ford
    (TpwUK)
    Martin Spencer-Ford, Nov 28, 2005