    It was not all that long ago that we had to do a major job of convincing Orcon
    to retain NNTP.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Collector»NZ, Apr 28, 2006

  2. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Those of us not with Telescums Xtra should also be concerned about
    > the action of Xtra in killing NNTP, it may provide the push and shove
    > for other companies to boot it as well.
    >
    > It was not all that long ago that we had to do a major job of
    > convincing Orcon to retain NNTP.

    Aye, I was very active in that one.

    Face it, they don't like us to be able to communicate our dis-satisfacion in
    a public place. Seems rather coincidental that, with all the negative things
    said here about Xtra recently, that they choose now to close down their NNTP
    sever. (And quickly too).

    Paranoid? Who? Me?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 28, 2006

  3. Collector»NZ

    thingy Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >>Those of us not with Telescums Xtra should also be concerned about
    >>the action of Xtra in killing NNTP, it may provide the push and shove
    >>for other companies to boot it as well.
    >>
    >>It was not all that long ago that we had to do a major job of
    >>convincing Orcon to retain NNTP.

    > Aye, I was very active in that one.
    >
    > Face it, they don't like us to be able to communicate our dis-satisfacion in
    > a public place. Seems rather coincidental that, with all the negative things
    > said here about Xtra recently, that they choose now to close down their NNTP
    > sever. (And quickly too).
    >
    > Paranoid? Who? Me?

    Considering the cost in traffic and the hardware needed v the low number
    of users it is not that surprising that it is being dis-continued....

    I run a NNTP caching server and we have at most 5 users....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 28, 2006
  4. Collector»NZ

    colinco Guest

    In article thingy says...
    > Considering the cost in traffic and the hardware needed v the low number
    > of users it is not that surprising that it is being dis-continued....
    >
    > I run a NNTP caching server and we have at most 5 users....

    So why are you bothering? Or do you tailor your caching to the users
    needs?

    colinco, Apr 28, 2006
  5. Collector»NZ

    MarkH Guest

    Collector»NZ <> wrote in

    > Those of us not with Telescums Xtra should also be concerned about the
    > action of Xtra in killing NNTP, it may provide the push and shove for
    > other companies to boot it as well.
    >
    > It was not all that long ago that we had to do a major job of
    > convincing Orcon to retain NNTP.

    That's why I don't rely on my ISP for newsgroups (or E-Mail). I like my
    ISP being only needed to connect me to the internet, if someone else offers
    a better deal then there is precious little holding be back from changing
    from Orcon.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Apr 28, 2006
  6. Collector»NZ

    J.Wilson Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> Those of us not with Telescums Xtra should also be concerned about
    >> the action of Xtra in killing NNTP, it may provide the push and shove
    >> for other companies to boot it as well.
    >>
    >> It was not all that long ago that we had to do a major job of
    >> convincing Orcon to retain NNTP.

    > Aye, I was very active in that one.
    >
    > Face it, they don't like us to be able to communicate our dis-satisfacion
    > in a public place. Seems rather coincidental that, with all the negative
    > things said here about Xtra recently, that they choose now to close down
    > their NNTP sever. (And quickly too).
    >
    > Paranoid? Who? Me?
    > --
    > Shaun.

    I find it surprising the number of people I meet who use the internet who
    have
    no idea that Usenet exists. It would be more popular if users simply knew
    about. it.

    J.Wilson, Apr 28, 2006
  7. On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:50:24 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > I run a NNTP caching server and we have at most 5 users....

    Who can use your NNTP server?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 28, 2006
  8. In article <Viw4g.6402$>,
    says...

    > I find it surprising the number of people I meet who use the internet who
    > have
    > no idea that Usenet exists. It would be more popular if users simply knew
    > about. it.

    That's just it: most people don't even know about it. They think webforums are
    the bee's knees and have no clue how poor an imitation those are.

    Thing is, there are now also a lot of people working at ISP with the same
    knowledge level. You wouldn't believe how many sales reps I had to talk to at
    ICONZ before one could answer my question if they ran the service (no longer).
    And she had to ask two of the teccie guys.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 29, 2006
  9. Collector»NZ

    thingy Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article thingy says...
    >
    >>Considering the cost in traffic and the hardware needed v the low number
    >>of users it is not that surprising that it is being dis-continued....
    >>
    >>I run a NNTP caching server and we have at most 5 users....
    >>

    > So why are you bothering? Or do you tailor your caching to the users
    > needs?

    Historically we had a full nntp connection, but no one wanted to pay for
    a decent connection when the feed needed renewing....so I leafnode
    cached off our ISP, good enough for a handful of users.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 29, 2006
  10. Collector»NZ

    thingy Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:50:24 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >

    >>I run a NNTP caching server and we have at most 5 users....

    > Who can use your NNTP server?
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Employees and clients.

    regards