NNTP access - evenings

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gordon, Apr 30, 2007.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that) I have
    been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of six different
    ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00 pm, including the NNTP
    server supplied by the ISP I use for broadband.
    The ISP says there is no problem with their network.
    The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's company (Netgear
    DG632). The ISP suggested that there might be a "parental control" set by
    default - the IT dept of my wife's company says no. They also say that as I
    don't log-on via their VPN that any other restrictions that may be in force
    would not apply to me.

    This is getting VERY frustrating, and I would be very pleased if someone
    could come up with some ideas as to why this is happening.

    Computer spec:
    fresh install XP SP2 fully updated, IE7 and Office 2007
    Usual anti-malware apps installed, AVG antivirus. Windows firewall
    activated, router uses NATS. There are no firewall rules set up on the
    router as far as I can see.
    1 GB RAM, Celeron 2.6 GHz processor

    thanks

    Gordon, Apr 30, 2007

  2. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that) I
    > have
    > been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of six different
    > ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00 pm,

    Well I should have realised that no actual help would be forthcoming from
    the Homer Simpson look-alikes in THIS group....

    Gordon, Apr 30, 2007

  3. Gordon wrote:

    > "Gordon" <> wrote:
    >> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that)
    >> I have been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of
    >> six different ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00
    >> pm,

    > Well I should have realised that no actual help would be forthcoming from
    > the Homer Simpson look-alikes in THIS group....

    Yeah, that's the attitude.

    So, can you then connect to one of/all your nntp server(s) at 11:05 PM?
    11:01 PM? If so, it sounds very much like parental control.

    You said, "The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's
    company". Have you logged in to the router settings and checked?

    Try to connect after removing the router from the mix.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 30, 2007
  4. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote:
    >>> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that)
    >>> I have been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of
    >>> six different ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00
    >>> pm,

    >> Well I should have realised that no actual help would be forthcoming from
    >> the Homer Simpson look-alikes in THIS group....

    > Yeah, that's the attitude.
    >
    > So, can you then connect to one of/all your nntp server(s) at 11:05 PM?
    > 11:01 PM? If so, it sounds very much like parental control.

    Well that's what I thought initially, but the IT dept of the company say "no
    there aren't any".

    > You said, "The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's
    > company". Have you logged in to the router settings and checked?

    yes - there's no firewall rules set up as far as I can see, and the manual
    mentions nothing about parental controls of any sort.

    > Try to connect after removing the router from the mix.

    can't unfortunately - it's a router/modem and we have no spare......

    Gordon, Apr 30, 2007
  5. Gordon

    Mike Easter Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that)
    > I have been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of
    > six different ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00
    > pm, including the NNTP server supplied by the ISP I use for broadband.

    You are currently posting to an eclipse.uk newsserver via an eclipse
    connectivity.

    > The ISP says there is no problem with their network.
    > The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's company
    > (Netgear DG632).

    What does that mean? Does that mean that is the router you have been
    using for a long time? Longer than the two or so weeks that you have
    been having the problem? Or does that mean that you recently acquired
    the router from the company and then you started having the problem when
    you installed the router?

    > The ISP suggested that there might be a "parental
    > control" set by default - the IT dept of my wife's company says no.

    Some control in the router would be an excellent mechanism for the
    problem, but it would be more likely that a company router would be set
    to control newsserver access during the daytime than at night. My
    router knows what time it is, and can be configured as to how it
    determines the time; it can be set manually or it can obtain its time
    from from the computer or NIST. If your router is configured with the
    wrong time and if the company had configured it for blocking access to
    newsservers during the daytime, that might explain a problem if the
    problem arose when you acquired the router.

    > They also say that as I don't log-on via their VPN that any other
    > restrictions that may be in force would not apply to me.

    You haven't described how it is that you use your wife's company's
    router to access the internet or newsservers.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 30, 2007
  6. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that)
    >> I have been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of
    >> six different ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00
    >> pm, including the NNTP server supplied by the ISP I use for broadband.

    > You are currently posting to an eclipse.uk newsserver via an eclipse
    > connectivity.

    Correct - I can do so during the day.

    >> The ISP says there is no problem with their network.
    >> The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's company
    >> (Netgear DG632).

    > What does that mean? Does that mean that is the router you have been
    > using for a long time? Longer than the two or so weeks that you have
    > been having the problem? Or does that mean that you recently acquired
    > the router from the company and then you started having the problem when
    > you installed the router?

    We had a replacement Router just over three months ago - the DLink we had
    originally was hit by a power surge during a storm and was replaced by this
    Netgear. I'm not entirely sure how long this problem has been going on, it
    MAY have been in existence since the installation of the new router (they
    come pre-configured from my wife's company), but I can't be sure as I don't
    access news groups dring the evening on a consistent basis.

    >> The ISP suggested that there might be a "parental
    >> control" set by default - the IT dept of my wife's company says no.

    > Some control in the router would be an excellent mechanism for the
    > problem, but it would be more likely that a company router would be set
    > to control newsserver access during the daytime than at night. My
    > router knows what time it is, and can be configured as to how it
    > determines the time; it can be set manually or it can obtain its time
    > from from the computer or NIST. If your router is configured with the
    > wrong time and if the company had configured it for blocking access to
    > newsservers during the daytime, that might explain a problem if the
    > problem arose when you acquired the router.

    I can't see any time in the router, but I don't like to delve too deeply
    incase someting goes wrong, as it's not mine!

    >> They also say that as I don't log-on via their VPN that any other
    >> restrictions that may be in force would not apply to me.

    > You haven't described how it is that you use your wife's company's
    > router to access the internet or newsservers.

    The modem/router is plugged via a patch cable into a Netgear switch.
    Connected to the switch are my wife's laptop, my desktop, a wireless access
    point for my laptop and a print server.

    Gordon, Apr 30, 2007
  7. Gordon

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-04-30, Gordon <> wrote:
    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that) I
    >> have
    >> been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of six different
    >> ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00 pm,

    > Well I should have realised that no actual help would be forthcoming from
    > the Homer Simpson look-alikes in THIS group....

    Wow! You waited a whole 2 hours? Give it a few days, this isn't a chat
    room it's usenet; some people actually like to think and research before
    venturing a response - once they've read the question, which might not
    happen for a while (incredibly, there are still a few people out there
    somewhere who aren't reading this newsgroup all the time; I've heard there
    are even some who don't fetch new messages more than once a day, if that).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 30, 2007
  8. Gordon wrote:

    > The modem/router is plugged via a patch cable into a Netgear switch.
    > Connected to the switch are my wife's laptop, my desktop, a wireless
    > access point for my laptop and a print server.

    My next (or probably my first) troubleshooting step would be to
    configure your wife's laptop to access one or more of your newsservers,
    and see if *it* fails during the same time your computer fails to
    connect.

    Obviously then, if it fails, it is the router causing the problem. If
    not, it is your computer.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 30, 2007
  9. Gordon

    Mike Easter Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that)
    >>> I have been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of
    >>> six different ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00
    >>> pm, including the NNTP server supplied by the ISP I use for
    >>> broadband.

    >>> The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's company
    >>> (Netgear DG632).

    > We had a replacement Router just over three months ago - the DLink we
    > had originally was hit by a power surge during a storm and was
    > replaced by this Netgear. I'm not entirely sure how long this problem
    > has been going on, it MAY have been in existence since the
    > installation of the new router (they come pre-configured from my
    > wife's company), but I can't be sure as I don't access news groups
    > dring the evening on a consistent basis.

    >> it would be more likely that a company router would be
    >> set to control newsserver access during the daytime than at night.
    >> My router knows what time it is, and can be configured as to how it
    >> determines the time;

    > I can't see any time in the router, but I don't like to delve too
    > deeply incase someting goes wrong, as it's not mine!

    There are .pdf install and manual at netgear
    ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg632_install_guide.pdf
    ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg632_manual.pdf

    .... but if you are afraid to look in or unable to login or change any
    configuration, then I suppose you will just live with whatever the
    router might be doing.

    > The modem/router is plugged via a patch cable into a Netgear switch.
    > Connected to the switch are my wife's laptop, my desktop, a wireless
    > access point for my laptop and a print server.

    I see.

    So you are using a borrowed router/modem that might be configured to
    prohibit newsserver access at night, but you don't do that night news
    access very often anywat, so you were just curious, but you won't be
    able to do anything about it anyway.

    Does that about cover it?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 30, 2007
  10. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> The modem/router is plugged via a patch cable into a Netgear switch.
    >> Connected to the switch are my wife's laptop, my desktop, a wireless
    >> access point for my laptop and a print server.

    > My next (or probably my first) troubleshooting step would be to
    > configure your wife's laptop to access one or more of your newsservers,
    > and see if *it* fails during the same time your computer fails to
    > connect.

    I get the same problem on my laptop as well as the desktop, so that part of
    the troubleshooting is done. the thing is, I can't see ANY settings in the
    router that would disable NNTP access on a timed basis....and my wife's IT
    dept tells me there aren't any....

    Gordon, Apr 30, 2007
  11. Gordon

    > Gordon wrote:

    >> We had a replacement Router just over three months ago - the DLink we
    >> had originally was hit by a power surge during a storm and was
    >> replaced by this Netgear. I'm not entirely sure how long this problem
    >> has been going on, it MAY have been in existence since the
    >> installation of the new router (they come pre-configured from my
    >> wife's company), but I can't be sure as I don't access news groups
    >> dring the evening on a consistent basis.

    >>> it would be more likely that a company router would be
    >>> set to control newsserver access during the daytime than at night.
    >>> My router knows what time it is, and can be configured as to how it
    >>> determines the time;

    >> I can't see any time in the router, but I don't like to delve too
    >> deeply incase someting goes wrong, as it's not mine!

    > There are .pdf install and manual at netgear
    > ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg632_install_guide.pdf
    > ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg632_manual.pdf
    >
    > ... but if you are afraid to look in or unable to login or change any
    > configuration, then I suppose you will just live with whatever the
    > router might be doing.
    >
    >> The modem/router is plugged via a patch cable into a Netgear switch.
    >> Connected to the switch are my wife's laptop, my desktop, a wireless
    >> access point for my laptop and a print server.

    > I see.
    >
    > So you are using a borrowed router/modem that might be configured to
    > prohibit newsserver access at night, but you don't do that night news
    > access very often anywat, so you were just curious, but you won't be
    > able to do anything about it anyway.
    >
    > Does that about cover it?

    No it's not "borrowed" - we share the broadband with the permission of the
    company....
    And it's not just being "curious", I've never had this problem before. We've
    been on this broadband connection for over two years....

    Gordon, Apr 30, 2007
  12. On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:03:52 +0100, "Gordon"
    <> wrote:

    >No it's not "borrowed" - we share the broadband with the permission of the
    >company....
    >And it's not just being "curious", I've never had this problem before. We've
    >been on this broadband connection for over two years....

    How is the sharing configured? Does something happen at the company
    during the evening? Any part of the route could be disabled for the
    evening. It doesn't have to be your equipment.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

    http://www.easynn.com

    Steve Wolstenholme, Apr 30, 2007
  13. Gordon wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>> The modem/router is plugged via a patch cable into a Netgear switch.
    >>> Connected to the switch are my wife's laptop, my desktop, a
    >>> wireless access point for my laptop and a print server.

    >> My next (or probably my first) troubleshooting step would be to
    >> configure your wife's laptop to access one or more of your
    >> newsservers, and see if *it* fails during the same time your
    >> computer fails to connect.

    > I get the same problem on my laptop as well as the desktop, so that
    > part of the troubleshooting is done.

    You didn't mention that in your original post. "We have three computers
    and none of them can access <number of> nntp servers between the hours
    of ..."

    > the thing is, I can't see ANY settings in the router that would
    > disable NNTP access on a timed basis....and my wife's IT dept tells
    > me there aren't any....

    Perhaps it is passworded, or the access panel has it hidden for this
    very reason, and accessible only to those IT guys. Did your wife's
    company give it to you so she can work from home?

    Does your broadband company have a replacement policy? Take the
    lightning-stuck router back to them and tell them "it failed." Will they
    give you another? Can you buy another at your local computer shop?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 30, 2007
  14. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Steve Wolstenholme" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:03:52 +0100, "Gordon"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>No it's not "borrowed" - we share the broadband with the permission of the
    >>company....
    >>And it's not just being "curious", I've never had this problem before.
    >>We've
    >>been on this broadband connection for over two years....

    > How is the sharing configured? Does something happen at the company
    > during the evening? Any part of the route could be disabled for the
    > evening. It doesn't have to be your equipment.

    I don't log-in via the company - I go straight to the internet, no VPN and
    np proxy.

    Gordon, Apr 30, 2007
  15. Gordon

    Frosty Guest

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:31:22 +0100 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Whiskers
    <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    but instead wrote :

    >On 2007-04-30, Gordon <> wrote:
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that) I
    >>> have
    >>> been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of six different
    >>> ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00 pm,

    >> Well I should have realised that no actual help would be forthcoming from
    >> the Homer Simpson look-alikes in THIS group....

    >Wow! You waited a whole 2 hours? Give it a few days, this isn't a chat
    >room it's usenet; some people actually like to think and research before
    >venturing a response - once they've read the question, which might not
    >happen for a while (incredibly, there are still a few people out there
    >somewhere who aren't reading this newsgroup all the time; I've heard there
    >are even some who don't fetch new messages more than once a day, if that).

    Hogwash & balderdash!

    Frosty, Apr 30, 2007
  16. Gordon

    Frosty Guest

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:20:13 +0100 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Gordon"
    <>, intended to write something
    intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >"Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that)
    >>> I have been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of
    >>> six different ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00
    >>> pm, including the NNTP server supplied by the ISP I use for broadband.

    >> You are currently posting to an eclipse.uk newsserver via an eclipse
    >> connectivity.

    >Correct - I can do so during the day.

    You mean during the day when everyone and his momma isn't at home
    surfin' the net?
    Or during the day when everyone but you is at work and not home
    cloggin' up the magical net pipes?

    Frosty, Apr 30, 2007
  17. Gordon

    miguel Guest

    Dipsy wrote:

    >Nobody has an aioe 'account', you dumb ****. Have you any idea how
    >fucking stupid you look when you make up all those lies about having
    >been on AUK forever, & then grunt out nuggets of stupidity like that
    >one?

    You look far stupider trying to practice law.

    miguel, Apr 30, 2007
  18. Gordon

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:12:05 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that) I have
    > been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of six different
    > ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00 pm, including the NNTP
    > server supplied by the ISP I use for broadband.
    > The ISP says there is no problem with their network.
    > The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's company (Netgear
    > DG632). The ISP suggested that there might be a "parental control" set by
    > default - the IT dept of my wife's company says no. They also say that as I
    > don't log-on via their VPN that any other restrictions that may be in force
    > would not apply to me.
    >
    > This is getting VERY frustrating, and I would be very pleased if someone
    > could come up with some ideas as to why this is happening.
    >
    > Computer spec:
    > fresh install XP SP2 fully updated, IE7 and Office 2007
    > Usual anti-malware apps installed, AVG antivirus. Windows firewall
    > activated, router uses NATS. There are no firewall rules set up on the
    > router as far as I can see.
    > 1 GB RAM, Celeron 2.6 GHz processor
    >
    > thanks

    Sounds like an access restriction. See if your NTP has an alternate port.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 30, 2007
  19. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "§ñühw¤£f" <> wrote in message

    > Use the usual networking tools?
    >
    > To verify that you have established NetBIOS sessions, you can use the
    > nbtstat -s command, which displays the NetBIOS session table.

    nbtstat -s command gives the following:

    Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.2] Scope Id: []

    No Connections

    > The display of the netsh interface ip show config command includes DNS
    > and WINS servers per interface.

    This gives the following:

    Configuration for interface "Local Area Connection"
    DHCP enabled: Yes
    InterfaceMetric: 0
    DNS servers configured through DHCP: 192.168.0.1
    WINS servers configured through DHCP: None
    Register with which suffix: Primary only

    > Ping the default gateway

    Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

    Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:

    I also pinged the news server:
    Pinging news.eclipse.co.uk [216.196.109.145] with 32 bytes of data:

    Ping statistics for 216.196.109.145:

    Gordon, Apr 30, 2007
  20. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    > Sounds like an access restriction. See if your NTP has an alternate port.

    Not quite sure what you mean by that - the IT dept of the company tell me
    there are NO restrictions set up, and looking at the router set up I can't
    see any rules at all.

    Gordon, Apr 30, 2007