nLite - Attention, Norman Brooks!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tony Sperling, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Hi, Norman.

    A while back, you threw in a few good words for the benefit of nLite, and I
    was mighty impressed by what you said. Having your actual running setup
    available as an ordinary install CD, sounded very tempting, but also a bit
    daunting - the sort of job that someone, such as I, would have to ponder.

    I have now installed nLite, and have had it prepare an installation setup,
    that at this moment sits in a folder on my HD. It offered me the opportunity
    to add other stuff to the installation, but since there is no help file or
    documentation I am not at all sure of what is actually on that installation,
    and I would naturally want to give it a spin and see if it is working as
    intended befor starting to rely on it as a form of security. But I am not
    prepared to zap my partition to find out!

    Is it correct to assume that what has been saved, can be expected to be the
    system, such as I installed it and have it running right now - drivers and
    all - and that is what is now ready to be burned to CD? I checked a box that
    mentioned the active system, or something. Is it reasonable to assume that
    anything extra, could be any of the apps that I have installed? But, after I
    burn it, how can you check it? I wouldn't want to rely on it and when
    disaster strikes, find out that I was expecting things it couldn't deliver.
    Any suggestions on what would be useful to throw in at the last moment?

    The app itself, was very impressive, well built, good clean layout, smooth
    operation - yes, I liked it very much!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 4, 2006

  2. At some point you have to take a chance, whether it is with Partion Magic,
    Drive Image, Ghost or whatever !

    Personally, I live and die with Drive Image - I have recovered from several
    big problems at the silicon based, carbon unit interface !

    Here's what I suggest to anyone who asks, some do, few follow through ...

    Keep your C: drive at 10Gigs
    Install ONLY what you absolutely need on your C: drive i.e. XP, drivers,
    absolute must have utilities. Nothing else. Install all other software on
    another drive.
    My 0 drive is a WD74GD and it is partioned C: 10G, D: 60 something. A
    WDC1600JS, and 2000JS fill out the SATA for storage.

    Because the C: drive is so small, I can back it up in 1minute 40 seconds if
    I don't verify, 2mins 26 secs if I do. Because the resulting images are
    small (2 gigs or less) I can store one or two a day.

    If the backups are small, you'll do them. If it takes a half hour and you
    start wondering where you're gonna store it, you won't !

    Once you trust your backups, you have no problem trying anything. The latest
    gee whiz video driver or latest version of Linux. Who cares, only takes five
    minutes to put everything back.

    I use Karen's REPLICATOR to backup all my intermediate files every hour or
    so.

    Once you're sure your installation disk is complete, use EZ CD or NERO or
    whatever your favorite program is and make an image. You can then boot, hit
    the ANY key when it asks if you want to boot off the CD and proceed up to
    the point where you are asked if you want to continue with the
    format/installation/repair or F3 to exit. You can quit there REASONABLY sure
    that you can AT LEAST install XP from the disk.

    The long and the short of it Tony is this - you will have to take a chance
    at some point ! Hope I've been of some help. Now I have to go get those
    Mouse droppings someone says are actually available now ! ttyl

    Good luck.

    Norm

    Norman Brooks, Jan 4, 2006