niue goes Microsoft

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, May 3, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    thingy, May 3, 2007

  2. thingy

    Shane Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/8695469406249B19CC2572CA00102D2D
    >
    > Interesting points....and some I have seen, pointless selling a
    > "product" unless you can and are prepared to support it and at a
    > reasonable cost....
    >
    > I have seen some bad ripoffs........."Linux is really Unix so we charge
    > lots for it".....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    There is a thread on a local OSS mailing list about this.
    I paste with Names removed, however the names were published in the original
    (I'm just not sure if I'm allowed to etc etc)

    http://safitech.com/press_releases/24_apr_2007_safitech_undp_niue_egovernment_project.html

    --
    Q: How can you tell that a mathematician is extroverted?
    A: When talking to you, he looks at your shoes instead of at his.
    Shane, May 3, 2007

  3. On Thu, 03 May 2007 16:33:19 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/8695469406249B19CC2572CA00102D2D
    >
    > Interesting points....and some I have seen, pointless selling a
    > "product" unless you can and are prepared to support it and at a
    > reasonable cost....
    >
    > I have seen some bad ripoffs........."Linux is really Unix so we charge
    > lots for it".....

    FYI.

    http://www.nzoss.org.nz/node/141

    "" ComputerWorld claimed this week that SAFI Technologies would be
    cleansing the island of Niue of open source. Those claims have however
    been discredited by Tim Johnson, Managing Director of SAFI Technologies. ""

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    bath and a short dress to get into."
    Dianthus Mimulus, May 3, 2007
  4. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 May 2007 16:33:19 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/8695469406249B19CC2572CA00102D2D
    >>
    >> Interesting points....and some I have seen, pointless selling a
    >> "product" unless you can and are prepared to support it and at a
    >> reasonable cost....
    >>
    >> I have seen some bad ripoffs........."Linux is really Unix so we charge
    >> lots for it".....

    > FYI.
    >
    > http://www.nzoss.org.nz/node/141
    >
    > "" ComputerWorld claimed this week that SAFI Technologies would be
    > cleansing the island of Niue of open source. Those claims have however
    > been discredited by Tim Johnson, Managing Director of SAFI Technologies. ""

    ah yet another of the fabled MS wins then.....

    regards

    Thing

    FUD, Figment of the Underhanded and Defeated....
    thingy, May 3, 2007
  5. On Fri, 04 May 2007 10:53:06 +1200, thingy wrote:

    >>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/8695469406249B19CC2572CA00102D2D

    [snip - good stuff]
    >> http://www.nzoss.org.nz/node/141
    >>
    >> "" ComputerWorld claimed this week that SAFI Technologies would be
    >> cleansing the island of Niue of open source. Those claims have however
    >> been discredited by Tim Johnson, Managing Director of SAFI Technologies.
    >> ""

    > ah yet another of the fabled MS wins then.....

    Nothing quite like quoting from the manager of the company that is claimed
    to be doing what is claimed by a squalid rag such as ComputerWorld. :eek:)

    Dianthus Mimulus, May 4, 2007
  6. thingy

    BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 04 May 2007 10:53:06 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    >> On Thu, 03 May 2007 16:33:19 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/8695469406249B19CC2572CA00102D2D
    >>>
    >>> Interesting points....and some I have seen, pointless selling a
    >>> "product" unless you can and are prepared to support it and at a
    >>> reasonable cost....
    >>>
    >>> I have seen some bad ripoffs........."Linux is really Unix so we charge
    >>> lots for it".....

    >> FYI.
    >>
    >> http://www.nzoss.org.nz/node/141
    >>
    >> "" ComputerWorld claimed this week that SAFI Technologies would be
    >> cleansing the island of Niue of open source. Those claims have however
    >> been discredited by Tim Johnson, Managing Director of SAFI Technologies. ""
    >>

    > ah yet another of the fabled MS wins then.....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing
    >
    > FUD, Figment of the Underhanded and Defeated....

    Didn't Bill buy the island? I can't remember - so many countries, so
    little time.

    brianM
    BrianM, May 5, 2007