    --
    Jeffry Wisnia
    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    Jeff Wisnia, Aug 20, 2007

  2. Jeff Wisnia

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:18:48 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    >Maybe it's just me, but I've gotten used to using NISTime32 to keep my
    >computer's clock set right, but since I got a new Dell with Vista I find
    >that NISTime runs ok, but it won't set the clock for me, even though it
    >does tell me it did. I have to note the time returned by NISTime and
    >then enter it through Vista's date/time window.

    NISTime32 doesn't have the permissions to set the time. or the account
    you logon with doesn't.

    You haven't disabled the W32Time service, I find I have to do that on
    every PC to use the sync app I prefer.

    >Have I missed a "Vista Ready" version of NISTime or is there another

    Have you look at the NIST site, you would then know
    http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm
    All I saw was Win95 and higher 32/64bit.

    See if there is a forum / support mailing list, most likely someone will
    have made a fix for Vista if needed.

    >utility which will do what NISTime does and set the clock?

    There are dozens of freeware time sync apps. Links fairly oftem posted
    in 24HSHD,

    Or www.google.com

    freeware time sync

    >Thanks guys,
    >
    >Jeff

    Me

    why?, Aug 20, 2007

  3. Jeff Wisnia

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Jeff Wisnia" <> wrote in message
    > Maybe it's just me, but I've gotten used to using NISTime32 to keep my
    > computer's clock set right, but since I got a new Dell with Vista I find
    > that NISTime runs ok, but it won't set the clock for me, even though it
    > does tell me it did. I have to note the time returned by NISTime and then
    > enter it through Vista's date/time window.
    >
    > Have I missed a "Vista Ready" version of NISTime or is there another
    > utility which will do what NISTime does and set the clock?

    There may be a couple that may be of interest to you.

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ycw34

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Jeff Wisnia

    DanR Guest

    > Maybe it's just me, but I've gotten used to using NISTime32 to keep my
    > computer's clock set right, but since I got a new Dell with Vista I find
    > that NISTime runs ok, but it won't set the clock for me, even though it
    > does tell me it did. I have to note the time returned by NISTime and then
    > enter it through Vista's date/time window.
    >
    > Have I missed a "Vista Ready" version of NISTime or is there another
    > utility which will do what NISTime does and set the clock?
    >
    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > Jeff
    > --
    > Jeffry Wisnia
    > (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
    > The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.>

    NISTime is built into Vista.
    Click the time in tray.
    Click "Change day and time settings".
    Click "Internet Time" tab.
    Click "Change settings".
    Make sure "Synchronize with an Internet time server" is checked.
    Choose "time.nist.gov" from the drop down field.

    There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
    work.
    My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
    My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
    clock I have. (WWV)

    DanR, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Jeff Wisnia

    Mitch Guest

    In article <vhoyi.1231$>, DanR
    <> wrote:

    > NISTime is built into Vista.

    No -- you're kidding, right?
    You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
    the change to system time, right?

    > There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
    > work.

    Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
    Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?

    > My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
    > My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
    > clock I have. (WWV)

    Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

    Mitch, Aug 21, 2007
  6. Jeff Wisnia

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <vhoyi.1231$>, DanR
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> NISTime is built into Vista.

    > No -- you're kidding, right?
    > You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
    > the change to system time, right?

    I just found out about this today due this this person's post ,and I am
    using it on Vista, which it allows you to select several time sync servers.

    >> There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
    >> work.

    > Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
    > Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?

    I just used the Update Now button on every server selected and it worked on
    everyone.

    >> My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
    >> My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
    >> clock I have. (WWV)

    > Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

    It didn't fail on my computer using Vista, for any of the servers selected.

    Maybe, it's much to do about *nothing*.

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 21, 2007
  7. Jeff Wisnia

    DanR Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <vhoyi.1231$>, DanR
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> NISTime is built into Vista.

    > No -- you're kidding, right?
    > You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
    > the change to system time, right?
    >
    >> There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
    >> work.

    > Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
    > Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?
    >
    >> My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
    >> My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
    >> clock I have. (WWV)

    > Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

    Mitch, I just read your post 4 times and for the life of me I don't get your
    point.

    DanR, Aug 21, 2007
  8. Jeff Wisnia

    DanR Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <vhoyi.1231$>, DanR
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> NISTime is built into Vista.

    >> No -- you're kidding, right?
    >> You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
    >> the change to system time, right?

    > I just found out about this today due this this person's post ,and I am
    > using it on Vista, which it allows you to select several time sync
    > servers.
    >

    >>> There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
    >>> work.

    >> Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
    >> Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?

    > I just used the Update Now button on every server selected and it worked
    > on everyone.
    >

    >>> My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
    >>> My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
    >>> clock I have. (WWV)

    >> Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

    > It didn't fail on my computer using Vista, for any of the servers
    > selected.
    >
    > Maybe, it's much to do about *nothing*.

    My point was that I didn't want the OP to give up on the Vista time sync if
    it happened to fail the first time he tried a manual update. Looking more
    closely it seems to update at boot up. I haven't been to the time sync setup
    page for months and just rely on it keep the time. And it does.

    DanR, Aug 21, 2007
  9. Jeff Wisnia

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "DanR" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mitch" <> wrote in message

    >>> No -- you're kidding, right?
    >>> You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
    >>> the change to system time, right?

    >> I just found out about this today due this this person's post ,and I am
    >> using it on Vista, which it allows you to select several time sync
    >> servers.

    >>> Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
    >>> Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?

    >> I just used the Update Now button on every server selected and it worked
    >> on everyone.

    >>> Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

    >> It didn't fail on my computer using Vista, for any of the servers
    >> selected.
    >>
    >> Maybe, it's much to do about *nothing*.
    >>

    > My point was that I didn't want the OP to give up on the Vista time sync
    > if it happened to fail the first time he tried a manual update. Looking
    > more closely it seems to update at boot up. I haven't been to the time
    > sync setup page for months and just rely on it keep the time. And it does.

    Mine was pointed to the MS site. It always keeps the correct time. I think
    it will do the same on the site that is now selected, which is the last one
    in the list its on now.

    The much to do about *nothing* was about the other poster's points, which
    were worthless.
    ..

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 21, 2007
  10. Jeff Wisnia

    Mitch Guest

    In article <7pryi.6214$>, DanR
    <> wrote:

    > >> NISTime is built into Vista.

    > > No -- you're kidding, right?
    > > You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and make
    > > the change to system time, right?
    > >
    > >> There is an "Update now" button that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
    > >> work.

    > > Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
    > > Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?
    > >
    > >> My computer uses time.nest.gov to set the clock at preset intervals.
    > >> My computer clock is always dead on compared to another so called atomic
    > >> clock I have. (WWV)

    > > Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

    > Mitch, I just read your post 4 times and for the life of me I don't get your
    > point.

    Okay; three points:

    First, I don't think the NISTime program is not rolled into Vista. I
    think Vista was just programmed with the protocol from scratch.
    Since the inquiry was about whether NISTime (a program) worked under
    Vista, it's an important distinction.

    Second, I was surprised such a simple protocol would fail. That
    WinVista failed to do it suggests a serious problem. It should be
    unacceptable for someone to find that WinVista cannot update time
    frequently.

    Third, if the system fails to correct its time, then it should not be
    keeping correct time. But the last example claims that the computer
    time is more accurate than a clock setting itself (presumably) to the
    atomic clock radio signal. That's a logical conflict, and I wondered if
    there was any problem with the computer clock at all.
    That is, if the computer is keeping good time, then why try to correct
    the time with a weekly time check?

    Mitch, Aug 21, 2007
  11. Jeff Wisnia

    John Holmes Guest

    Mitch "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >> > No -- you're kidding, right?
    >> > You mean Vista is able on it's own to check the time servers and
    >> > make the change to system time, right?

    >> > Huh. This is a very simple operation, yet it sometimes fails in
    >> > Microsoft's newest, most advanced and impressive OS?

    >> > Didn't you just say the sync sometimes fails?

    >> Mitch, I just read your post 4 times and for the life of me I don't
    >> get your point.
    >>

    > Okay; three points:
    >
    > First, I don't think the NISTime program is not rolled into Vista. I
    > think Vista was just programmed with the protocol from scratch.
    > Since the inquiry was about whether NISTime (a program) worked under
    > Vista, it's an important distinction.
    >
    > Second, I was surprised such a simple protocol would fail. That
    > WinVista failed to do it suggests a serious problem. It should be
    > unacceptable for someone to find that WinVista cannot update time
    > frequently.
    >
    > Third, if the system fails to correct its time, then it should not be
    > keeping correct time. But the last example claims that the computer
    > time is more accurate than a clock setting itself (presumably) to the
    > atomic clock radio signal. That's a logical conflict, and I wondered
    > if there was any problem with the computer clock at all.
    > That is, if the computer is keeping good time, then why try to correct
    > the time with a weekly time check?

    You are all truly a bunch of fucking idiots. Almost every ISP has a NTP
    server running. Why not just use the "net time" command to set the
    computer to sync with the ISP? No 3d party software is needed to
    accomplish this simple task. Example: "net time
    /setsntp:ntp.isp.whatever" All my computers show the exact time.

    --
    Your mothers were giant twits who were brought up in mortuaries.

    John Holmes, Aug 21, 2007
  12. Jeff Wisnia

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:53:23 +0200 (CEST), John Holmes wrote:

    >Mitch "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    <snip, rest of post not snipped>

    >You are all truly a bunch of fucking idiots. Almost every ISP has a NTP
    >server running. Why not just use the "net time" command to set the
    >computer to sync with the ISP? No 3d party software is needed to
    >accomplish this simple task. Example: "net time
    >/setsntp:ntp.isp.whatever" All my computers show the exact time.

    My ISP says not to rely on thier ntp. One sore point is internal lack of
    time sync in the ISP. it's odd uploading files to a webserver before you
    appear to have last edited them :)

    A managed ntp pool server works for me.

    Me

    why?, Aug 21, 2007
  13. Jeff Wisnia

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, John
    Holmes <> wrote:

    > You are all truly a bunch of fucking idiots. Almost every ISP has a NTP
    > server running. Why not just use the "net time" command to set the
    > computer to sync with the ISP? No 3d party software is needed to
    > accomplish this simple task. Example: "net time
    > /setsntp:ntp.isp.whatever" All my computers show the exact time.

    If you read that thread again, almost no one in it was having any
    difficulty setting the time. The discussion was about the method used.

    All you have offered is a (bad) alternative server.

    Mitch, Aug 22, 2007
  14. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    > Maybe it's just me, but I've gotten used to using NISTime32 to keep my
    > computer's clock set right, but since I got a new Dell with Vista I find
    > that NISTime runs ok, but it won't set the clock for me, even though it
    > does tell me it did. I have to note the time returned by NISTime and
    > then enter it through Vista's date/time window.
    >
    > Have I missed a "Vista Ready" version of NISTime or is there another
    > utility which will do what NISTime does and set the clock?
    >
    > Thanks guys,
    >
    > Jeff

    I did ping NIST about my OP issue and received this reply FWIW:

    *********

    The current version will work with Vista and adjust the clock
    but you must run the program with explicit administrator privileges.
    This restriction was not enforced on previous versions on Windows --
    an account in the administrator group would work.

    *********

    Now all I have to do is figure out eggsackly what that means. I thought
    that when I started using Visat I made "my account" an administrator
    account, but may be it isn't "explicit" enough. <G>

    Live and learn...

    Thanks guys,

    Jeff

    --
    Jeffry Wisnia
    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    Jeff Wisnia, Aug 23, 2007
  15. Jeff Wisnia

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:32:30 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    >Jeff Wisnia wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe it's just me, but I've gotten used to using NISTime32 to keep my
    >> computer's clock set right, but since I got a new Dell with Vista I find
    >> that NISTime runs ok, but it won't set the clock for me, even though it
    >> does tell me it did. I have to note the time returned by NISTime and
    >> then enter it through Vista's date/time window.
    >>
    >> Have I missed a "Vista Ready" version of NISTime or is there another
    >> utility which will do what NISTime does and set the clock?
    >>
    >> Thanks guys,
    >>
    >> Jeff

    >I did ping NIST about my OP issue and received this reply FWIW:
    >
    >*********
    >
    >The current version will work with Vista and adjust the clock
    >but you must run the program with explicit administrator privileges.

    You could select the exe and right click / Run As.

    Setup a scheduled job to run the exe, this lets you add account /
    password to a task.

    See if it runs as a service.

    Force it to run as a service. FireDaemon (the older freeware?? version
    is still around) see the firedaemon forumns, search for the link and
    somewhere in 1 or 2 of the MS Windows (insert version) Resource kits has
    a utility to do it.

    >This restriction was not enforced on previous versions on Windows --
    >an account in the administrator group would work.

    It's nice when they stop there.

    www.google.com

    Vista has administrator accounts and the administrator account. If it
    suits you to enable it.

    How to access the true Administrator account in Windows VistaMicrosoft
    has purposely hidden the built-in Administrator account in Vista, but
    it's easy to use once you know how to find it, writes Scot Finnie.
    www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001970
    - 134k - Cached - Similar pages

    Windows Vista Security : Built-in Administrator Account DisabledIn
    Windows Vista we made numerous changes to our user account model.
    Standard users are now the default user type for new accounts created
    after initial ...
    http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsvistasecurity/archive/2006/08/27/windowsvistasecurity_.aspx
    - 134k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from blogs.msdn.com ]

    » Will the real Windows Vista Administrator account please stand ...It’s
    a relatively easy operation to activate the real Administrator account
    in Vista once you know the technique. Now that you know how it’s done,
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=460 - 69k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    Asking in a microsoft newsgroup, microsoft public windows vista from,
    http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?&sel=33607276&expand=1
    you get the idea, this soft of thing

    microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
    microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

    >*********
    >
    >Now all I have to do is figure out eggsackly what that means. I thought
    >that when I started using Visat I made "my account" an administrator
    >account, but may be it isn't "explicit" enough. <G>
    >
    >Live and learn...
    >
    >Thanks guys,
    >
    >Jeff

    Me

    why?, Aug 24, 2007
  16. Jeff Wisnia

    > Jeff Wisnia wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe it's just me, but I've gotten used to using NISTime32 to keep my
    >> computer's clock set right, but since I got a new Dell with Vista I find
    >> that NISTime runs ok, but it won't set the clock for me, even though it
    >> does tell me it did. I have to note the time returned by NISTime and then
    >> enter it through Vista's date/time window.
    >>
    >> Have I missed a "Vista Ready" version of NISTime or is there another
    >> utility which will do what NISTime does and set the clock?
    >>
    >> Thanks guys,
    >>
    >> Jeff

    > I did ping NIST about my OP issue and received this reply FWIW:
    >
    > *********
    >
    > The current version will work with Vista and adjust the clock
    > but you must run the program with explicit administrator privileges.
    > This restriction was not enforced on previous versions on Windows --
    > an account in the administrator group would work.
    >
    > *********
    >
    > Now all I have to do is figure out eggsackly what that means. I thought
    > that when I started using Visat I made "my account" an administrator
    > account, but may be it isn't "explicit" enough. <G>

    Even if you're Admin on the Vista, you may need to escalate a program's
    privileges to run by using Run As Administer, which can be permanently set
    off of the Advanced tab of the short-cut pointing to the exe or the exe
    itself.

    Mr. Arnold, Aug 24, 2007