NIST-certified USB Flash drives with hardware encryption cracked

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nemo_outis, Jan 6, 2010.

  1. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    NIST-certified USB Flash drives with hardware encryption cracked
    http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/NIST-certified-USB-Flash-drives-with-
    hardware-encryption-cracked-895308.html

    Note that technically ths does NOT mean the FIPS140 certification was incorrect -
    one must always check carefully **just exactly what** FIPS is certifying (hint: it
    is rarely the whole device (or even all the software) and is often restricted to
    just the implementation of the crypto algorithm). Aspects such as authentication
    (yes, that means passwords, boys and girls) are usually excluded. Incidentally, a
    "Common Criteria" certification is sometimes (but NOT always - beware!) broader than
    a FIPS one and **may** cover such aspects (actually CC is more a broad security
    framework than a list of specifics, but it is, potentially at least, broader).

    My recommendation? Ironkey! (FIPS 140-2 Level 3 - and, yes, level 3 is actually
    worth something in this case) With Ironkey **both** authentication and encrypton
    take place **on** the USB stick, not on the computer.

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Jan 6, 2010

  2. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    nemo_outis, Jan 6, 2010

  3. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 04:24:35 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    > NIST-certified USB Flash drives with hardware encryption cracked
    > http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/NIST-certified-USB-Flash-drives-with-
    > hardware-encryption-cracked-895308.html
    >
    > Note that technically ths does NOT mean the FIPS140 certification was incorrect -
    > one must always check carefully **just exactly what** FIPS is certifying (hint: it
    > is rarely the whole device (or even all the software) and is often restricted to
    > just the implementation of the crypto algorithm). Aspects such as authentication
    > (yes, that means passwords, boys and girls) are usually excluded.

    FIPS 130 requires 2-factor. Point will be moot.

    > Incidentally, a
    > "Common Criteria" certification is sometimes (but NOT always - beware!) broader than
    > a FIPS one and **may** cover such aspects (actually CC is more a broad security
    > framework than a list of specifics, but it is, potentially at least, broader).

    If FIPS is your only standard, you have shit standards for both SBU and
    TS.

    > My recommendation? Ironkey! (FIPS 140-2 Level 3 - and, yes, level 3 is actually
    > worth something in this case) With Ironkey **both** authentication and encrypton
    > take place **on** the USB stick, not on the computer.

    Depends on your data sensitivity levels.

    --
    http://tr.im/1fa6
    ♥Ari♥, Jan 6, 2010
  4. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 04:32:35 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    > "nemo_outis" <> wrote in
    >
    > The following article also discusses the problem. It's especially interesting
    > because it extensively quotes David Jevans, CEO of IronKey.
    >
    > Secure USB Flaw Exposed
    > http://www.darkreading.com/insiderthreat/security/encryption/showArticle.jhtml?
    > articleID=222200174
    >
    > Regards,

    Use <>

    ♥Ari♥, Jan 6, 2010
  5. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    =?utf-8?Q?=E2=99=A5Ari=E2=99=A5?= <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 04:24:35 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    >
    >> NIST-certified USB Flash drives with hardware encryption cracked
    >> http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/NIST-certified-USB-Flash-dr
    >> ives-with- hardware-encryption-cracked-895308.html
    >>
    >> Note that technically ths does NOT mean the FIPS140 certification was
    >> incorrect - one must always check carefully **just exactly what**
    >> FIPS is certifying (hint: it is rarely the whole device (or even all
    >> the software) and is often restricted to just the implementation of
    >> the crypto algorithm). Aspects such as authentication (yes, that
    >> means passwords, boys and girls) are usually excluded.

    > FIPS 130 requires 2-factor. Point will be moot.

    Say fucking what? FIPS 130 was rescinded over 15 years ago!

    http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/withdraw.htm

    >> Incidentally, a
    >> "Common Criteria" certification is sometimes (but NOT always -
    >> beware!) broader than a FIPS one and **may** cover such aspects
    >> (actually CC is more a broad security framework than a list of
    >> specifics, but it is, potentially at least, broader).

    > If FIPS is your only standard, you have shit standards for both SBU
    > and TS.

    And you base your pronouncement on exactly what?

    >> My recommendation? Ironkey! (FIPS 140-2 Level 3 - and, yes, level 3
    >> is actually worth something in this case) With Ironkey **both**
    >> authentication and encrypton take place **on** the USB stick, not on
    >> the computer.

    > Depends on your data sensitivity levels.

    Quite true! If someone doesn't care that his security can be bypassed by a ten-
    year-old then he can do as you suggest. However, if he wants his security to
    actually work he will use an Ironkey.

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Jan 6, 2010
  6. From: "nemo_outis" <>

    | =?utf-8?Q?=E2=99=A5Ari=E2=99=A5?= <> wrote in

    >> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 04:24:35 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    >>> NIST-certified USB Flash drives with hardware encryption cracked
    >>> http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/NIST-certified-USB-Flash-dr
    >>> ives-with- hardware-encryption-cracked-895308.html

    >>> Note that technically ths does NOT mean the FIPS140 certification was
    >>> incorrect - one must always check carefully **just exactly what**
    >>> FIPS is certifying (hint: it is rarely the whole device (or even all
    >>> the software) and is often restricted to just the implementation of
    >>> the crypto algorithm). Aspects such as authentication (yes, that
    >>> means passwords, boys and girls) are usually excluded.

    >> FIPS 130 requires 2-factor. Point will be moot.

    | Say fucking what? FIPS 130 was rescinded over 15 years ago!

    | http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/withdraw.htm

    >>> Incidentally, a
    >>> "Common Criteria" certification is sometimes (but NOT always -
    >>> beware!) broader than a FIPS one and **may** cover such aspects
    >>> (actually CC is more a broad security framework than a list of
    >>> specifics, but it is, potentially at least, broader).

    >> If FIPS is your only standard, you have shit standards for both SBU
    >> and TS.

    | And you base your pronouncement on exactly what?

    >>> My recommendation? Ironkey! (FIPS 140-2 Level 3 - and, yes, level 3
    >>> is actually worth something in this case) With Ironkey **both**
    >>> authentication and encrypton take place **on** the USB stick, not on
    >>> the computer.

    >> Depends on your data sensitivity levels.

    | Quite true! If someone doesn't care that his security can be bypassed by a ten-
    | year-old then he can do as you suggest. However, if he wants his security to
    | actually work he will use an Ironkey.

    | Regards,

    Ari is clueless and doesn't know JWICS from EARWIGS.

    --
    Dave
    David H. Lipman, Jan 6, 2010
  7. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:01:35 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    > =?utf-8?Q?=E2=99=A5Ari=E2=99=A5?= <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 04:24:35 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    >>
    >>> NIST-certified USB Flash drives with hardware encryption cracked
    >>> http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/NIST-certified-USB-Flash-dr
    >>> ives-with- hardware-encryption-cracked-895308.html
    >>>
    >>> Note that technically ths does NOT mean the FIPS140 certification was
    >>> incorrect - one must always check carefully **just exactly what**
    >>> FIPS is certifying (hint: it is rarely the whole device (or even all
    >>> the software) and is often restricted to just the implementation of
    >>> the crypto algorithm). Aspects such as authentication (yes, that
    >>> means passwords, boys and girls) are usually excluded.

    >> FIPS 130 requires 2-factor. Point will be moot.

    > Say fucking what? FIPS 130 was rescinded over 15 years ago!

    My bad. FIPS 140-3 2010 implementation.
    --
    http://tr.im/1fa6
    ♥Ari♥, Jan 6, 2010
  8. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:01:35 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    >>> Incidentally, a
    >>> "Common Criteria" certification is sometimes (but NOT always -
    >>> beware!) broader than a FIPS one and **may** cover such aspects
    >>> (actually CC is more a broad security framework than a list of
    >>> specifics, but it is, potentially at least, broader).

    >> If FIPS is your only standard, you have shit standards for both SBU
    >> and TS.

    > And you base your pronouncement on exactly what?

    On the fact we are squat in the middle of this issue whilst you attempt
    to keep the Missus home from marrying some flathead from Nepal.

    *lol*
    --
    http://tr.im/1fa6
    ♥Ari♥, Jan 6, 2010
  9. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:01:35 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    >>> My recommendation? Ironkey! (FIPS 140-2 Level 3 - and, yes, level 3
    >>> is actually worth something in this case) With Ironkey **both**
    >>> authentication and encrypton take place **on** the USB stick, not on
    >>> the computer.

    >> Depends on your data sensitivity levels.

    > Quite true! If someone doesn't care that his security can be bypassed by a ten-
    > year-old then he can do as you suggest. However, if he wants his security to
    > actually work he will use an Ironkey.

    Correct, any particular need to say the same things I do? I'm not going
    to blow you re: of the smoke you try to pump up my ass.
    --
    http://tr.im/1fa6
    ♥Ari♥, Jan 6, 2010
  10. On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 17:14:11 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "nemo_outis" <>
    >
    >| =?utf-8?Q?=E2=99=A5Ari=E2=99=A5?= <> wrote in

    >>> FIPS 130 requires 2-factor. Point will be moot.

    >| Say fucking what? FIPS 130 was rescinded over 15 years ago!
    >
    >| http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/withdraw.htm

    >>> If FIPS is your only standard, you have shit standards for both SBU
    >>> and TS.

    >| And you base your pronouncement on exactly what?

    >>> Depends on your data sensitivity levels.

    >| Quite true! If someone doesn't care that his security can be bypassed by a ten-
    >| year-old then he can do as you suggest. However, if he wants his security to
    >| actually work he will use an Ironkey.
    >
    >| Regards,
    >
    > Ari is clueless and doesn't know JWICS from EARWIGS.

    We Jews need to stick together. I apologize for the 1,094 times I have
    kicked your ass on Usenet.

    Friendshit?
    --
    http://tr.im/1fa6
    ♥Ari♥, Jan 6, 2010
  11. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    =?utf-8?Q?=E2=99=A5Ari=E2=99=A5?= <> wrote in news:hi3687$h9h
    $-september.org:

    > On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:01:35 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    >
    >> =?utf-8?Q?=E2=99=A5Ari=E2=99=A5?= <> wrote in

    >>> FIPS 130 requires 2-factor. Point will be moot.

    >> Say fucking what? FIPS 130 was rescinded over 15 years ago!

    > My bad. FIPS 140-3 2010 implementation.

    Even with (the current draft of) FIPS 140-3 multi-factor authentication is ONLY
    required for level 4 - a level that no USB stick currently has (or is likely to
    get!). Level 4 is the exclusive province of very expensive (think thousands of
    dollars) HSMs and secure cryptoproceesors like the IBM 4764.

    http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/fips140-3/revised-draft-fips140-3_PDF-
    zip_document-annexA-to-annexG.zip

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Jan 6, 2010
  12. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:57:26 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    > =?utf-8?Q?=E2=99=A5Ari=E2=99=A5?= <> wrote in news:hi3687$h9h
    > $-september.org:
    >
    >> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:01:35 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:
    >>
    >>> =?utf-8?Q?=E2=99=A5Ari=E2=99=A5?= <> wrote in

    >>> Say fucking what? FIPS 130 was rescinded over 15 years ago!

    >> My bad. FIPS 140-3 2010 implementation.

    > Even with (the current draft of) FIPS 140-3 multi-factor authentication is ONLY
    > required for level 4 - a level that no USB stick currently has (or is likely to
    > get!). Level 4 is the exclusive province of very expensive (think thousands of
    > dollars) HSMs and secure cryptoproceesors like the IBM 4764.

    > http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/fips140-3/revised-draft-fips140-3_PDF-
    > zip_document-annexA-to-annexG.zip

    Wrong link...again.

    ♥Ari♥, Jan 7, 2010
  13. On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:57:26 GMT, nemo_outis wrote:

    >>> Say fucking what? FIPS 130 was rescinded over 15 years ago!

    >> My bad. FIPS 140-3 2010 implementation.

    > Even with (the current draft of) FIPS 140-3 multi-factor authentication is ONLY
    > required for level 4 - a level that no USB stick currently has (or is likely to
    > get!). Level 4 is the exclusive province of very expensive (think thousands of
    > dollars) HSMs and secure cryptoproceesors like the IBM 4764.

    I didn't say it was for USB, I commented on "Aspects such as
    authentication (yes, that means passwords, boys and girls) are usually
    excluded."

    duh
    --
    http://tr.im/1fa6
    ♥Ari♥, Jan 7, 2010
  14. nemo_outis

    >> Even with (the current draft of) FIPS 140-3 multi-factor
    >> authentication is ONLY required for level 4 - a level that no USB
    >> stick currently has (or is likely to get!). Level 4 is the exclusive
    >> province of very expensive (think thousands of dollars) HSMs and
    >> secure cryptoproceesors like the IBM 4764.

    >> http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/fips140-3/revised-draft-fips1
    >> 40-3_PDF- zip_document-annexA-to-annexG.zip

    > Wrong link...again.
    >
    > <http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/fips140-3/revised-draft-fips1
    > 40-3_PDF-zip_document-annexA-to-annexG.zip>

    Jesus H Christ, you're thick - even line-wrap throws you.
    nemo_outis, Jan 7, 2010
  15. nemo_outis

    >>> My bad. FIPS 140-3 2010 implementation.

    >> Even with (the current draft of) FIPS 140-3 multi-factor
    >> authentication is ONLY required for level 4 - a level that no USB
    >> stick currently has (or is likely to get!). Level 4 is the exclusive
    >> province of very expensive (think thousands of dollars) HSMs and
    >> secure cryptoproceesors like the IBM 4764.

    > I didn't say it was for USB, I commented on "Aspects such as
    > authentication (yes, that means passwords, boys and girls) are usually
    > excluded."
    >
    > duh

    I see - so once again you were talking about something utterly irrelevant to the
    topic, which is clearly restricted to USB drives.

    Everything you have said has been wrong, stupid, pointless, irrelevant or some
    combination thereof. It's the bozo bin for you - PLONK!
    nemo_outis, Jan 7, 2010
  16. In case you are not aware, Ari is a well known troll, his one line
    replies are usually meaningless or simply a provocation that expects
    to create anger and some kind of reply.

    I would avoid replying to any message coming from a clearly mentally
    disturbed person, it can not lead to anything useful. But you are
    free to choose of course.

    --
    Privacylover: http://www.privacylover.com
    Frank Merlott, Jan 7, 2010
  17. Sliverdick blithered:

    > >> Depends on your data sensitivity levels.

    > > Quite true! If someone doesn't care that his security can be bypassed by a ten-
    > > year-old then he can do as you suggest. However, if he wants his security to
    > > actually work he will use an Ironkey.

    > Correct, any particular need to say the same things I do? I'm not going
    > to blow you re: of the smoke you try to pump up my ass.

    lol

    you're floundering so fucking bad you're starting to have an anal
    fetish episode

    nemo_outis **OWNS** you

    he not only made a fool of you he got you to prove beyond any doubt
    at all that all your bullshit about owning a company and barcode
    stupidity is a lie

    https://www.mixmaster.it
    George Orwell, Jan 7, 2010
  18. nemo_outis spanked Sliverdick thusly:

    > >> Say fucking what? FIPS 130 was rescinded over 15 years ago!

    > > My bad. FIPS 140-3 2010 implementation.

    > Even with (the current draft of) FIPS 140-3 multi-factor authentication is ONLY
    > required for level 4 - a level that no USB stick currently has (or is likely to
    > get!). Level 4 is the exclusive province of very expensive (think thousands of
    > dollars) HSMs and secure cryptoproceesors like the IBM 4764.
    >
    > http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/fips140-3/revised-draft-fips140-3_PDF-
    > zip_document-annexA-to-annexG.zip

    ROTFLMAOSHINPMP!!

    There's Sliverdick again, with another huge load of poultry puddin'
    splattered all over his face.

    Yeah....... he's the "boss" of a company that allegedly does
    crypto but the fool doesn't even know FIPS 130 is a decade and a
    half outdated. And when called on that he STILL can't Google
    anything that doesn't make him look like a total assclown.

    Looks like the "Anonomousies" had you pegged all along Sliverdick.
    If you even have a job, you're nothing but a second string fry cook
    at a dive that only wishes it was as nice as a McDonald's.

    But you're not even that much of a man, are you Sliverdick?

    What a fucking loser.

    LOL!!
    Anonymous Remailer (austria), Jan 7, 2010
  19. nemo_outis

    none Guest

    On 1/7/2010 2:35 AM, Frank Merlott wrote:
    > In case you are not aware, Ari is a well known troll, his one line
    > replies are usually meaningless or simply a provocation that expects
    > to create anger and some kind of reply.
    >
    > I would avoid replying to any message coming from a clearly mentally
    > disturbed person, it can not lead to anything useful. But you are
    > free to choose of course.

    Nemo has been here for a very long time. I've watched not
    only his patience and helpfulness, as in lurking, and I have
    concluded as a nubile, he is half trustworthy, which is more
    than I can say for the wannabes, by far.
    none, Jan 10, 2010
  20. none wrote:

    > On 1/7/2010 2:35 AM, Frank Merlott wrote:
    > > In case you are not aware, Ari is a well known troll, his one line
    > > replies are usually meaningless or simply a provocation that expects
    > > to create anger and some kind of reply.
    > >
    > > I would avoid replying to any message coming from a clearly mentally
    > > disturbed person, it can not lead to anything useful. But you are
    > > free to choose of course.
    > >

    > Nemo has been here for a very long time. I've watched not
    > only his patience and helpfulness, as in lurking, and I have
    > concluded as a nubile, he is half trustworthy, which is more
    > than I can say for the wannabes, by far.

    The only real problem with nemo's technical prowess is that his
    head is scrwed on cross-thread. He gets a lot of the facts right,
    no more mistakes than most folk, but then he dives off the deep end
    with his "yell 'LOOK OVER THERE' really loud and then stuff it in
    your pocket" caliber "security". If you can sort that chafe out
    he's not a bad bugger to have around.
    Anonymous Remailer (austria), Jan 11, 2010