    with invalid UDP port. How can that be possible?

    Regards,
    Patrick

    lcan, Feb 29, 2004

  2. lcan

    *Vanguard* Guest

    "lcan" said in news:xfh0c.34158$A12.34037@edtnps84:
    > Hi,
    >
    > NIS just reported that my own computer is an intruder: something to
    > do with invalid UDP port. How can that be possible?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Patrick

    Could be you have spyware or a trojan trying to connect out so, yes, it
    is your computer trying to make the connection. Could be you have UPNP
    enabled and your computer is trying to broadcast to the network what
    shared resources it has available. You don't tell us the IP address so
    we have to guess you mean 127.0.0.1. You don't tell us what NIS reports
    when a connection attempt is made, nor do you tell us what shows in its
    logs at that time. Vague help is the result. Need more details.
    However, see WHAT program is reported in the NIS popup when the
    connection attempt is made and looking at NIS' logs will probably
    identify to you what program is trying to make the connection.

    *** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

    *Vanguard*, Feb 29, 2004

  3. lcan

    lcan Guest

    Re: NIS Strange Behavior (Please help!!!)

    Thanks. I did some reinstalls and did not save all the details. But I think
    NIS was considering my computer as
    an outside intruder on UDP Port (reported with the dynamic ADSL IP). So
    there is no indication of what program.

    The main problem I have is my PC cannot ping itself when NIS is enabled.
    Worst, it cannot ftp to or ping my
    Linux server (next to it on another port of the hub) even with NIS disabled.
    Reinstalling NIS did not help. I have Windows XP Home Edition and NIS
    2003 with the latest updates.

    What test can I perform to get more specific infomation? Would powering down
    the ADSL modem help? Powering off the hub did nothing at all.

    Thanks!!!

    lcan, Mar 1, 2004