    --

    "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
    - Alceryes

    Alceryes, Apr 15, 2005

  2. Alceryes

    winged Guest

    Alceryes wrote:
    > Other than having a clean, spyware/virus free system, and keeping the
    > startup items in check, does anyone know of a way to keep these proggies
    > from hogging up system resources and causing a 3+ min boot time on computers
    > that are just a couple of years old?

    Wow, I run products on an old 1800 AMD box, I just timed it, boot less
    than 30 seconds, Though I seldom reboot.

    How much memory do you have installed? While 128M is what XP requires
    it is much more comfortable with 256 and 512 is better especially when
    adding NIS suite though 256 should be plenty.

    What is the boot delay setting for hdd spinup in the bios? has anyone or
    could anyone have fooled with the default settings?

    Which processor?

    Is the box home networked? (network config can impact boot time)

    What services are turned on? (Ensure only required services are turned
    on www.blackviper.com has some good services guides)

    Is the BIOS Memory check turn off?

    Where does the lag occur?

    Have you defragged the drive recently?

    Have you run a check disk recently?

    What is running at bootup?

    What is the cache size for the system? (should be at least 2.5 X Memory)
    if fixed. (If you fix the cache size then change it from what it is it
    will cause the cache to rewrite itself. I have seen corrupt caches
    cause bootup issues).

    If system an old build or never rebuilt, run MRU blaster from wilder
    security. It will remove a lot of clutter from the registry.

    Have you looked at the boot log?

    Is there any failure loading device drivers?

    Anything in conflict or not working properly? (Right click my computer
    select properties/Hardware/device manager) Items will have either red X
    or yellow! )

    Did you set Spybot to run at bootup? (I know silly question except I
    have seen it set this way, it is an install option)

    While NIS can be a resource hog it sounds like something is odd . That
    boot time does seem long. I question if it is the fault of the products
    unless something didn't install properly, have you tried to uninstall
    then reinstall the products?

    You don't provide much on the system or its configuration.

    There are a number of issues that can cause bootup issues. Does the
    system run ok after it has completed boot?

    Additionally if you have turned up the heuristics of the AV portion you
    can dramatically impact its performance and reliability.

    I have mentioned a number of things that can impact bootup, but there
    are many more things that can cause issue. You don't really provide
    enough information to even guess at the issues?

    Winged

    winged, Apr 16, 2005