    Anyone know what might be causing this?
    TIA.
    Geo.

    NoOne, Sep 18, 2003

  2. NoOne

    NoOne Guest

    Solved! Sort of....
    I found this :-

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e
    5/0f8fe44460034f4988256c7500744ee3?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20AntiVirus&ver=
    2003%20for%20Windows%202000/Me/98/XP&src=&pcode=nav&svy=&csm=no

    Seems to have done the trick, BUT....'this version (2003) is very much
    slower than 2002 was, which I uninstalled today.
    Why should that be the case? It's VERY noticable! Also, I never had a crash
    in my life using Win XP, but now when I close down the system I have
    programs crashing all over the place. I feel like re-installing 2002 and
    buying the updates instead of using 2003, it's that bad!

    Thought I'd post the above in case it's of use to anyone else.

    Geo.

    NoOne, Sep 18, 2003

  3. NoOne

    NoOne Guest

    The main problem seems to be the 'ccApp.exe' in the c:\program files\common
    files\ symantec shared folder.
    It seems to be some kind of 'client' program which is required for email
    scanning and auto-protect to work, but unfortunately it has a terrible knack
    of crashing in Win XP at shutdown time! (e.g. I have to click the 'End Now'
    button).
    And Symantec call this 'progress'?!
    Geo.

    NoOne, Sep 18, 2003
  4. NoOne

    NoOne Guest

    "NoOne" <> wrote in message
    > The main problem seems to be the 'ccApp.exe' in the c:\program

    files\common
    > files\ symantec shared folder.
    > It seems to be some kind of 'client' program which is required for email
    > scanning and auto-protect to work, but unfortunately it has a terrible

    knack
    > of crashing in Win XP at shutdown time! (e.g. I have to click the 'End

    Now'
    > button).
    > And Symantec call this 'progress'?!
    > Geo.

    Phew! It's really not a problem at all....'say Symantec! MY ARSE!

    Here's what they have to say about it! :-

    Message: "ccApp.exe is not responding" during computer restart or shut down
    Situation:
    When you restart or shut down your computer, you see the Windows dialog box
    displaying the message "ccApp.exe is not responding. . . ." Sometimes,
    Windows closes the program and you can restart or shut down. At other times
    you must click End Now to close ccApp.exe.

    Solution:
    This message does not indicate a problem. The main Norton AntiVirus (NAV)
    host file, ccApp.exe, is in the process of closing all running services. The
    ccApp.exe file can take some time to close, especially if the computer was
    shut down before it finished its last startup process.

    Be patient. If Windows does not close the application in a few seconds, then
    click End Now to close the program and allow the restart/shut down process
    to continue.

    Geo.

    P.S. TIP!! Don't buy 2003 stuff....'keep your 'old 2002 stuff and get the
    updates!

    NoOne, Sep 19, 2003
  5. NoOne

    Boomer Guest

    NoOne said:

    > "NoOne" <> wrote in message
    >> The main problem seems to be the 'ccApp.exe' in the c:\program

    > files\common
    >> files\ symantec shared folder.
    >> It seems to be some kind of 'client' program which is required
    >> for email scanning and auto-protect to work, but unfortunately
    >> it has a terrible

    > knack
    >> of crashing in Win XP at shutdown time! (e.g. I have to click
    >> the 'End

    > Now'
    >> button).
    >> And Symantec call this 'progress'?!
    >> Geo.
    >>

    > Phew! It's really not a problem at all....'say Symantec! MY
    > ARSE!
    >
    > Here's what they have to say about it! :-
    >
    > Message: "ccApp.exe is not responding" during computer restart
    > or shut down Situation:
    > When you restart or shut down your computer, you see the Windows
    > dialog box displaying the message "ccApp.exe is not responding.
    > . . ." Sometimes, Windows closes the program and you can restart
    > or shut down. At other times you must click End Now to close
    > ccApp.exe.
    >
    > Solution:
    > This message does not indicate a problem. The main Norton
    > AntiVirus (NAV) host file, ccApp.exe, is in the process of
    > closing all running services. The ccApp.exe file can take some
    > time to close, especially if the computer was shut down before
    > it finished its last startup process.
    >
    > Be patient. If Windows does not close the application in a few
    > seconds, then click End Now to close the program and allow the
    > restart/shut down process to continue.
    >
    > Geo.
    >
    > P.S. TIP!! Don't buy 2003 stuff....'keep your 'old 2002 stuff
    > and get the updates!

    I wouldn't touch Symantec/Norton products with a 100' pole.

    Freeware works! :)

    Boomer, Sep 19, 2003
  6. NoOne

    Mangusta Guest