Nirsoft.net - mail passview - trojan or not?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thenderson32102@nospam222.org, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. Guest

    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html

    The author states that some programs detect a false trojan in it.
    Avast certainly did.

    9/10/2006 5:49:22 PM 1660 Sign of "Win32:MailPassView [Tool]" has been
    found in "d:\mailpv.zip\mailpv.exe\[UPX]" file.

    I submitted it to Virustotal. Kaspersky didn't find anything while
    Bitdefender gave it an application rating.

    > File: mailpv.exe

    Therefore, this file's scan results will not be stored in the database)

    > MD5 aeaf4c30722cc779448adf1831ec5790
    > Packers detected: UPX
    > Scanner results
    > AntiVir Found SecurityPrivacyRisk/PSW.MailPass riskware
    > ArcaVir Found nothing
    > Avast Found Win32:MailPassView
    > AVG Antivirus Found nothing
    > BitDefender Found nothing
    > ClamAV Found nothing
    > Dr.Web Found Tool.PassView
    > F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
    > Fortinet Found HackerTool/MailPassView
    > Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found not-a-virus:pSWTool.Win32.MailPassView.130
    > NOD32 Found Win32/RiskWare.PSWTool.MailPassView.136 application
    > Norman Virus Control Found nothing
    > UNA Found nothing
    > VirusBuster Found nothing
    > VBA32 Found nothing

    Here's the Jotti scan:

    > AntiVir Found SecurityPrivacyRisk/PSW.MailPass riskware
    > ArcaVir Found nothing
    > Avast Found Win32:MailPassView
    > AVG Antivirus Found nothing
    > BitDefender Found nothing
    > ClamAV Found nothing
    > Dr.Web Found Tool.PassView
    > F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
    > Fortinet Found HackerTool/MailPassView
    > Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found not-a-virus:pSWTool.Win32.MailPassView.130
    > NOD32 Found Win32/RiskWare.PSWTool.MailPassView.136 application
    > Norman Virus Control Found nothing
    > UNA Found nothing
    > VirusBuster Found nothing
    > VBA32 Found nothing

    Once again, several respected freeware sites recommend this program.

    Siteadvisor gives it a trojan rating, yet the mods they list here make
    the program look pretty benign. The internet leads to some great
    research, but between this program and Ultimate Boot CD, it can leave one
    in a quandry.

    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/nirsoft.net/downloads/642095/

    Any comments?

    , Sep 11, 2006

  2. Malke Guest

    wrote:

    > http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html
    >
    > The author states that some programs detect a false trojan in it.
    > Avast certainly did.

    (snip)

    The programs at Nirsoft are safe. They do produce false positives with
    many av's and have done for years. If you are uncomfortable using them
    (although they are not viruses), don't use them.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/mailpv.html
    >
    > The author states that some programs detect a false trojan in it.

    Please read the above line.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Sep 15, 2006