Nipper and Cisco Security Audit

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Neil Jones, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. Neil Jones

    Neil Jones Guest

    I am using Nipper for verifying my Cisco configuration. Nipper is
    finding the "rlogin" service that is not in the configuration. I have
    searched the access lists and do not see it anywhere. The explanation
    by Nipper about this finding, "....Telnet protocol implemented by this
    service...." is confusing. Here is the Nipper's output:

    ______________________________
    Rlogin Service Settings

    The Rlogin service enables remote administrative access to a CLI on
    Cisco Router Devices. The Telnet protocol implemented by the service is
    simple and provides no encryption of the network communications between
    client and the server. This section details the Rlogin settings.

    Description Setting
    Rlogin Service Enabled
    Service TCP Port 513

    I have checked a few other routers where SSH was not enabled with the
    same results.

    Can someone explain why Nipper is saying "Rlogin is enabled" when I do
    not see it in the configuration file? Is there something else that I
    need to be looking at? Why is Nipper saying "...Telnet protocol
    implemented by the service...."?

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    NJ
    Neil Jones, Apr 2, 2009