Nintendo Wii owners....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    Slightly OT I guess........

    Anyway, had a play on a friends Nintendo Wii last night, enjoyed it hell of
    a lot, and am almost tempted to get one (we have quite a few parties so it'd
    be hit).
    But have a couple of queries....... hopefully an owner of a Wii can answer
    before I wander to EB and ask them :) (all the sites Ive looked at dont
    answer the queries)

    1) Wifi access - is the Wii Wifi ready out of the box or do I need to buy a
    Wifi dongle for it first ?
    2) Sensor bar - do these come with the Wii or are they an extra add on ?
    (just to allow better controller coverage Im guessing)
    3) SD Cards - Do they accept standard SD cards or are they a specific "Wii
    only" type ?

    Please, no console bashing/wars/flaming as reponses :) (Yeah right, it is
    nz.comp after all)

    TIA :)
    XPD, Nov 1, 2007

  2. XPD

    JohnO Guest

    On Nov 2, 9:01 am, "XPD" <> wrote:
    > Slightly OT I guess........
    >
    > Anyway, had a play on a friends Nintendo Wii last night, enjoyed it hell of
    > a lot, and am almost tempted to get one (we have quite a few parties so it'd
    > be hit).
    > But have a couple of queries....... hopefully an owner of a Wii can answer
    > before I wander to EB and ask them :) (all the sites Ive looked at dont
    > answer the queries)
    >
    > 1) Wifi access - is the Wii Wifi ready out of the box or do I need to buy a
    > Wifi dongle for it first ?
    > 2) Sensor bar - do these come with the Wii or are they an extra add on ?
    > (just to allow better controller coverage Im guessing)
    > 3) SD Cards - Do they accept standard SD cards or are they a specific "Wii
    > only" type ?
    >
    > Please, no console bashing/wars/flaming as reponses :) (Yeah right, it is
    > nz.comp after all)
    >
    > TIA :)

    Looking forward to hearing more comments - I'm thinking of getting one
    (for the kids... honest!).

    They seem dirt cheap and the motion controllers are a cool idea. I've
    heard the graphics look a bit 80's compared to xb360 and PS3 - does it
    matter? What about availability and price of games?

    Any chance of hacking one to be a media center extender?
    JohnO, Nov 1, 2007

  3. XPD wrote:
    > 1) Wifi access - is the Wii Wifi ready out of the box or do I need to buy a
    > Wifi dongle for it first ?

    It comes with WiFi

    > 2) Sensor bar - do these come with the Wii or are they an extra add on ?
    > (just to allow better controller coverage Im guessing)

    The sensor bar is included

    > 3) SD Cards - Do they accept standard SD cards or are they a specific "Wii
    > only" type ?

    it uses standard SD cards

    > Please, no console bashing/wars/flaming as reponses :) (Yeah right, it is
    > nz.comp after all)

    I think the two big disappointments are the price of the games, and the
    fact they are region coded
    Jason Fanning, Nov 2, 2007
  4. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in message
    >> Please, no console bashing/wars/flaming as reponses :) (Yeah right, it is
    >> nz.comp after all)
    >>
    >> TIA :)

    > Looking forward to hearing more comments - I'm thinking of getting one
    > (for the kids... honest!).
    >
    > They seem dirt cheap and the motion controllers are a cool idea. I've
    > heard the graphics look a bit 80's compared to xb360 and PS3 - does it
    > matter? What about availability and price of games?
    >
    > Any chance of hacking one to be a media center extender?

    The gfx do look a bit basic, but are smooth and colourful - but thats just
    the games Ive seen.
    Game prices are same as anything else from what ive seen, but they are
    backwards compatible with Gamecube games so there is a decent library of
    games out there.
    XPD, Nov 2, 2007
  5. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Jason Fanning" <> wrote in message
    > XPD wrote:
    >> 1) Wifi access - is the Wii Wifi ready out of the box or do I need to buy
    >> a Wifi dongle for it first ?

    > It comes with WiFi
    >
    >> 2) Sensor bar - do these come with the Wii or are they an extra add on ?
    >> (just to allow better controller coverage Im guessing)

    > The sensor bar is included
    >
    >> 3) SD Cards - Do they accept standard SD cards or are they a specific
    >> "Wii only" type ?

    > it uses standard SD cards
    >

    >> Please, no console bashing/wars/flaming as reponses :) (Yeah right, it is
    >> nz.comp after all)

    > I think the two big disappointments are the price of the games, and the
    > fact they are region coded

    Cheers for that. :)
    XPD, Nov 2, 2007
  6. XPD

    frederick Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Jason Fanning" <> wrote in message
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>> 1) Wifi access - is the Wii Wifi ready out of the box or do I need to buy
    >>> a Wifi dongle for it first ?

    >> It comes with WiFi
    >>
    >>> 2) Sensor bar - do these come with the Wii or are they an extra add on ?
    >>> (just to allow better controller coverage Im guessing)

    >> The sensor bar is included
    >>
    >>> 3) SD Cards - Do they accept standard SD cards or are they a specific
    >>> "Wii only" type ?

    >> it uses standard SD cards
    >>
    >>> Please, no console bashing/wars/flaming as reponses :) (Yeah right, it is
    >>> nz.comp after all)

    >> I think the two big disappointments are the price of the games, and the
    >> fact they are region coded

    > Cheers for that. :)

    IMO they are the first game console that has universal
    appeal - including to people (like me) who don't like game
    consoles.

    Get (at least) two remote controllers. Worth it even if you
    only use the second controller to play Wii Sport games (disk
    comes with the unit) against each other. We've had it set
    up with projector on the wall - played on the thing so hard
    that my muscles ached for days (I'm about 50)

    Forget the graphics quality - superb graphics for games are
    a bit like mag wheels on a car - bling.

    Rent one to try out before you buy - I suspect that you'll
    be hooked.
    frederick, Nov 2, 2007
  7. XPD

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Nov 2, 1:18 pm, Jason Fanning <> wrote:
    > I think the two big disappointments are the price of the games, and the
    > fact they are region coded

    And the fact they haven't released any games that really make use of
    the controller. Wii Sports is a nice appetiser but I'm waiting for a
    decent tennis game (or any sports game really) where you have to move
    the controller just like the real thing in order to do well. I was
    hoping the recently released Ping Pong might be that, but they just
    ported it from the Xbox360 so you actually have to press buttons on
    the controller to add spin etc, which kinda defeats the purpose!
    Chris Lim, Nov 2, 2007
  8. frederick wrote:

    > Forget the graphics quality - superb graphics for games are a bit like
    > mag wheels on a car - bling.

    bollocks, even playing the PSN games in 1080p is brilliant, the games
    are so much easier to see (especially for split screen games)
    Jason Fanning, Nov 2, 2007
  9. XPD

    frederick Guest

    Jason Fanning wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >
    >> Forget the graphics quality - superb graphics for games are a bit like
    >> mag wheels on a car - bling.

    > bollocks, even playing the PSN games in 1080p is brilliant, the games
    > are so much easier to see (especially for split screen games)

    I'm pleased for you.
    frederick, Nov 3, 2007
  10. frederick wrote:
    > Jason Fanning wrote:
    >> frederick wrote:
    >>
    >>> Forget the graphics quality - superb graphics for games are a bit
    >>> like mag wheels on a car - bling.

    >> bollocks, even playing the PSN games in 1080p is brilliant, the games
    >> are so much easier to see (especially for split screen games)

    > I'm pleased for you.

    Why thanks, I'm pleased for myself as well.
    Jason Fanning, Nov 3, 2007