  1. Does anyone know why the R1 DVD of 1984 (John Hurt version) is such a
    pain in the ass to get a hold of ? All I see are the R2 copies
    everywhere, was there a recall in the USA that I don't know about?

    Jonathan Brisby, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Jonathan Brisby

    Richard C. Guest

    "Jonathan Brisby" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone know why the R1 DVD of 1984 (John Hurt version) is such a
    > pain in the ass to get a hold of ? All I see are the R2 copies
    > everywhere, was there a recall in the USA that I don't know about?

    ======================
    My solution to this kind of problem was to get a second (actually 8th)
    player that
    plays all regions:

    http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/pioneer578.html

    Plays everything.

    Richard C., Jan 30, 2007

  3. Jonathan Brisby

    WinField Guest

    Richard C. wrote:
    > "Jonathan Brisby" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Does anyone know why the R1 DVD of 1984 (John Hurt version) is such a
    >> pain in the ass to get a hold of ? All I see are the R2 copies
    >> everywhere, was there a recall in the USA that I don't know about?

    > ======================
    > My solution to this kind of problem was to get a second (actually 8th)
    > player that
    > plays all regions:
    >
    > http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/pioneer578.html
    >
    > Plays everything.

    -+-+-+
    Sharks!
    And here I thought my 3 dvd-players (4, counting the spasmodic Apex) was
    really up there on the charts.

    Two out of the three play PALs. Once you live with this capability,
    you'll never look back.

    - win

    WinField, Jan 30, 2007
  4. On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:08:58 -0800, "Richard C."
    <> wrote:

    >"Jonathan Brisby" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know why the R1 DVD of 1984 (John Hurt version) is such a
    >> pain in the ass to get a hold of ? All I see are the R2 copies
    >> everywhere, was there a recall in the USA that I don't know about?

    >======================
    >My solution to this kind of problem was to get a second (actually 8th)
    >player that
    >plays all regions:
    >
    >http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/pioneer578.html
    >
    >Plays everything.

    Well I've been playing non R1 DVDs for years, I just play it back from
    one of my computers onto the TV plus I gotta shitty cheap player that
    I made region free. I'm just interested in getting it without the 4%
    speed up. After watching a lot of them you start to notice the audio
    difference.

    Jonathan Brisby, Jan 30, 2007
  5. "Jonathan Brisby" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:08:58 -0800, "Richard C."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Jonathan Brisby" <> wrote in message
    >>> Does anyone know why the R1 DVD of 1984 (John Hurt version) is such a
    >>> pain in the ass to get a hold of ? All I see are the R2 copies
    >>> everywhere, was there a recall in the USA that I don't know about?

    >>======================
    >>My solution to this kind of problem was to get a second (actually 8th)
    >>player that
    >>plays all regions:
    >>
    >>http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/pioneer578.html
    >>
    >>Plays everything.

    > Well I've been playing non R1 DVDs for years, I just play it back from
    > one of my computers onto the TV plus I gotta shitty cheap player that
    > I made region free. I'm just interested in getting it without the 4%
    > speed up. After watching a lot of them you start to notice the audio
    > difference.

    In the case of 1984, the newer Region 2/4 is vastly superior to the old
    Region 1.
    Region 2/4 is dual-layer (the R1 is only single-layer) and, more
    importantly, the R2/4 has the original muted color-scheme (unlike the R1)

    I've never noticed PAL speed-up myself, but I would think that in this case
    the R2/4 is worth getting just for all the other reasons. Besides, I think
    most computer DVD-players have an option to play back PAL DVDs 4% slower.

    The Man With No Name, Feb 6, 2007