NIN no longer free.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Really bad news for all the Orcon usenet users out there, all 25 of us.
    > Got this email this morning, nearly dumped it with the spam. I'll quote most
    > of it here:

    *snip*

    > So now what? I *do* hope Orcon get's it's act together by the end of March.
    > I simply can't afford to pay fees to a foriegn company. I don't have a CC
    > and went to send payment to an organisation in the USA yesterday, the bank
    > wants $25 for a foriegn-currency bank cheque and the Post Office/Kiwi Bank
    > don't do international money orders any more, only Western Union, and that
    > *has* to go to a person, not an organisiation. I needed to pay $US14.95 and
    > it was going to cost me $50+.

    eek... ummm might have an option, just not yet... I'll get back to you.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Really bad news for all the Orcon usenet users out there, all 25 of us.

    Got this email this morning, nearly dumped it with the spam. I'll quote most
    of it here:

    **********************************

    Dear users of News.Individual.NET,

    effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    a fee-based service.

    The details:
    ============

    Effective immediately, registration for our news service is only
    possible through our web site:

    http://news.individual.net/

    Registration by e-mail (as hitherto) is no longer possible.

    Holders of existing accounts who want to continue using their account
    need to convert it into a pay account. This is also only possible
    through our web site:

    http://news.individual.net/

    You will also find all details on payment options, terms of use, and
    terms of contract on the web site.

    The time until March 31th, 2005, is a transitional period so that
    holders of existing accounts will have plenty of time for convenient
    conversion. Sign-up for new accounts or conversion of existing accounts
    made within the transitional period (before April 1th, 2005) will not
    cause any disadvantages:

    Contracts concluded within the transitional period will last until
    March 31th, 2006 (Annual Subscription) or June 30th, 2005 (3 Months
    Subscription) without additional costs. Then the contracts will auto-
    matically renew themselves for another year or another three months
    respectively.

    Important notes:

    Effective from April 1th, 2005, all non-converted accounts will stop
    working.

    Users who use the server News.CIS.DFN.DE as part of the DFNNetNews
    project are not effected by the changes described above. Nothing will
    change for these users, they do not need to do anything.

    The fee:
    ========

    The fee for an account for News.Individual.NET is 10 EUR per year
    (annual payment), that converts to only 0.84 EUR per month. The price
    includes VAT at 16%.

    The background:
    ===============

    The tradition of running news servers at Freie Universitaet Berlin goes
    back as far as 1989 (historic keyword: "Methan"). The news service was
    open for external users ever since: Until 1992, there was no access
    restriction at all (as usual at that time). Later, a basic access
    management where IP numbers and domain names were added on request was
    established.

    Starting with the CIS project (a third-party funded project of DFN)
    of ZEDAT of Freie Universitaet Berlin, the news service was expanded
    by the feature of registration for individual users in the beginning
    of the year 1998:

    News.CIS.DFN.DE was born. (*)

    (*) see Message-ID: <6apqmg$rbe$>

    After the CIS project was finished in mid 2002, the administrators kept
    this service alive by maintaining it mainly in their spare time. Since
    this was not sustainable in perpetuity, options on how to raise money
    from external people and institutions for the provision and maintenance
    of the service had to be researched and created. Several approaches to
    find sponsors for the service eventually failed, especially due to the
    lack of understanding by the potential sponsors for the nature of Usenet.

    Since July 1th, 2003, ZEDAT offers - again in cooperation with DFN - news
    services to other research and education institutions for money (service
    name: "DFNNetNews"). In the course of this cooperation, the server name
    "News.CIS.DFN.DE" vested exclusively to DFNNetNews:

    "News.Individual.DE" and "News.Individual.NET" are the new server names
    under which the service is available for the more than 250,000 external
    individual users that were registered since the beginning of 1998.

    After a long evaluation and preparation period, the service will convert
    to a fee-based service for these external individual users effective from
    April 1th, 2005. We regret that it is no longer possible to offer this
    service free of charge.

    We would be very happy if our service convinced its users of its quality
    and of the engagement of its operators during the many years of its
    existence so that they decide to stay our users even if the service is not
    free of charge anymore.

    Besides, we would - of course - like to thank all people that recommended
    our service over the years and used it responsibly and carefully in the
    spirit of Usenet!

    Best regards,
    the NetNews Team of Freie Universitaet Berlin

    ***************************

    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:21:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Really bad news for all the Orcon usenet users out there, all 25 of us.
    >
    >Got this email this morning, nearly dumped it with the spam. I'll quote most
    >of it here:

    <snip>

    Noooo!!! Luckily I do most of my newsgroup stuff at work here and
    seldom use NNTP at home (where I use Orcon)

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordy Guest

    I use NIN but now will be putting the pressure on Orcon to get the
    NewsGroups functioning properly.

    snip

    >Really bad news for all the Orcon usenet users out there, all 25 of us.
    >
    >Got this email this morning, nearly dumped it with the spam. I'll quote most
    >of it here:

    snip

    Gordy, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gordy wrote:
    > I use NIN but now will be putting the pressure on Orcon to get the
    > NewsGroups functioning properly.

    Please do Gordy, I'll be doing the same thing. If Orcon can't come up with a
    relaible NG server by the end of March I virtually have to change ISPs now.
    I was considering it anyway.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Gordy wrote:
    >
    >>I use NIN but now will be putting the pressure on Orcon to get the
    >>NewsGroups functioning properly.

    > Please do Gordy, I'll be doing the same thing. If Orcon can't come up with a
    > relaible NG server by the end of March I virtually have to change ISPs now.
    > I was considering it anyway.
    > --
    > ~misfit~
    >

    >>>Really bad news for all the Orcon usenet users out there, all 25 of
    >>>us.
    >>>
    >>>Got this email this morning, nearly dumped it with the spam. I'll
    >>>quote most of it here:

    >>snip

    Are you still getting the password request when accessing Orcon NNTP ?,
    I am

    I see UBS went down again at midday for 30 mins or so as well

    If it's not one thing it's another

    Imagine if the power companies operated like this

    LOL well they did for a while in Auckland CBD.

    Chris Mayhew, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:21:16 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Really bad news for all the Orcon usenet users out there, all 25 of us.

    So you don't think it was Orcons crappy news server that precipitated the
    NIN policy change? ;)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 16, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:21:16 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Really bad news for all the Orcon usenet users out there, all 25 of
    >> us.

    > So you don't think it was Orcons crappy news server that precipitated
    > the NIN policy change? ;)

    Honestly? It wouldn't surprise me in the least. I'll bet my left testicle
    that there are quite a few more than Seeby's quoted 25 Orcon users who are
    usenet users. Everybody I know who has Orcon has been using NIN.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Gordy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I use NIN but now will be putting the pressure on Orcon to get the
    >>> NewsGroups functioning properly.

    >> Please do Gordy, I'll be doing the same thing. If Orcon can't come
    >> up with a relaible NG server by the end of March I virtually have to
    >> change ISPs now. I was considering it anyway.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    >>> snip

    > Are you still getting the password request when accessing Orcon NNTP
    > ?, I am

    I wouldn't have a clue. I tried Orcon's pathetic attempt at an NNTP server
    for all of two hours after I connected with them, then used my NIN account.
    I haven't tried using Orcon's since. I'm not sure what's going on with the
    fiance's machine. Since OE deleted all but one group I don't think she's
    bothering until I sort it out. (The pressure!)

    > I see UBS went down again at midday for 30 mins or so as well

    Like a whore's drawers.

    > If it's not one thing it's another
    >
    > Imagine if the power companies operated like this
    >
    > LOL well they did for a while in Auckland CBD.

    And look at the nationwide coverage that engendered.

    I'll say one thing: Orcon got their second ATM line from Telecom the other
    day and have been negotiating for more international bandwidth since. I was
    actually able to play my game for a couple of hours last night. Well, early
    hours of this morning. I don't know if it was just because of the time or if
    in fact the latency is getting better. I'll know later.

    No good to me without usenet though. I refuse to post/read through Google
    groups. I'll change ISPs if Orcon don't have something reasonable in place
    when NIN go paid service on April 1st. That gives them six weeks. There is a
    friend of mine setting up a news server in his spare room FFS! How damn hard
    is it for Orcon to do?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >>~misfit~ wrote:

    >>>Please do Gordy, I'll be doing the same thing. If Orcon can't come
    >>>up with a relaible NG server by the end of March I virtually have to
    >>>change ISPs now. I was considering it anyway.
    >>>--
    >>>~misfit~

    >>Are you still getting the password request when accessing Orcon NNTP
    >>?, I am

    > I wouldn't have a clue. I tried Orcon's pathetic attempt at an NNTP server
    > for all of two hours after I connected with them, then used my NIN account.
    > I haven't tried using Orcon's since. I'm not sure what's going on with the
    > fiance's machine. Since OE deleted all but one group I don't think she's
    > bothering until I sort it out. (The pressure!)

    Sorry, I got you confused with someone else.

    >>I see UBS went down again at midday for 30 mins or so as well

    > Like a whore's drawers.

    TMI

    >>If it's not one thing it's another
    >>
    >>Imagine if the power companies operated like this
    >>
    >>LOL well they did for a while in Auckland CBD.

    > And look at the nationwide coverage that engendered.
    >
    > I'll say one thing: Orcon got their second ATM line from Telecom the other
    > day and have been negotiating for more international bandwidth since. I was
    > actually able to play my game for a couple of hours last night. Well, early
    > hours of this morning. I don't know if it was just because of the time or if
    > in fact the latency is getting better. I'll know later.
    >
    > No good to me without usenet though. I refuse to post/read through Google
    > groups. I'll change ISPs if Orcon don't have something reasonable in place
    > when NIN go paid service on April 1st. That gives them six weeks. There is a
    > friend of mine setting up a news server in his spare room FFS! How damn hard
    > is it for Orcon to do?
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    What about Tera News ? OK it costs $USD3.95 to sign up (well it use to)
    and you (only) get 50MB/day but $USD3.95 is cheaper than $99 churn fee.

    I haven't noticed any difference in downloads or video chat, I use to
    get a maxed out connection where ever I went, now I only get about 50%

    Chris Mayhew, Feb 16, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordy Guest

    I have been with Orcon 2.5 months now and have been waiting for an
    effective news service. Have been using NIN in the mean time.

    Spam filtering seems to have had an interim fix.. or I have just found
    the config page deep in the system. /Myaccount/Manage
    services/More/Mail Service/More/Spam Filtering Settings...

    Free Web Hosting has been just another week for a month now, maybe
    more.

    Gordy, Feb 16, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I'll say one thing: Orcon got their second ATM line from Telecom the
    >> other day and have been negotiating for more international bandwidth
    >> since. I was actually able to play my game for a couple of hours
    >> last night. Well, early hours of this morning. I don't know if it
    >> was just because of the time or if in fact the latency is getting
    >> better. I'll know later.
    >>
    >> No good to me without usenet though. I refuse to post/read through
    >> Google groups. I'll change ISPs if Orcon don't have something
    >> reasonable in place when NIN go paid service on April 1st. That
    >> gives them six weeks. There is a friend of mine setting up a news
    >> server in his spare room FFS! How damn hard is it for Orcon to do?
    >>

    > What about Tera News ? OK it costs $USD3.95 to sign up (well it use
    > to) and you (only) get 50MB/day but $USD3.95 is cheaper than $99
    > churn fee.

    How can I pay this fee? I don't have a Credit Card and, as I found out
    yesterday, banks (well, Westpac anyway) want $25 to write a bank cheque in
    overseas funds and there is no longer such thing as a money order in our
    fair country. Post shops use Western Union instead and they can only be made
    out to individuals, not corporations or companies.

    Not only that but, if the latency isn't improved by the end of March, I'm
    not staying with Orcon UBS under any conditions. Do you pay a churn fee to
    go to dail up?

    > I haven't noticed any difference in downloads or video chat, I use to
    > get a maxed out connection where ever I went, now I only get about 50%

    Interesting to know, thanks. However, Tera News don't carry the three main
    groups my fiance subscribes to. Apparently. She looked into it as she's
    ropable over losing access to the groups. (NIN doesn't carry them either).
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:51:19 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> I'll say one thing: Orcon got their second ATM line from Telecom the
    >>> other day and have been negotiating for more international bandwidth
    >>> since. I was actually able to play my game for a couple of hours
    >>> last night. Well, early hours of this morning. I don't know if it
    >>> was just because of the time or if in fact the latency is getting
    >>> better. I'll know later.
    >>>
    >>> No good to me without usenet though. I refuse to post/read through
    >>> Google groups. I'll change ISPs if Orcon don't have something
    >>> reasonable in place when NIN go paid service on April 1st. That
    >>> gives them six weeks. There is a friend of mine setting up a news
    >>> server in his spare room FFS! How damn hard is it for Orcon to do?
    >>>

    >> What about Tera News ? OK it costs $USD3.95 to sign up (well it use
    >> to) and you (only) get 50MB/day but $USD3.95 is cheaper than $99
    >> churn fee.

    >How can I pay this fee? I don't have a Credit Card and, as I found out
    >yesterday, banks (well, Westpac anyway) want $25 to write a bank cheque in
    >overseas funds and there is no longer such thing as a money order in our
    >fair country. Post shops use Western Union instead and they can only be made
    >out to individuals, not corporations or companies.
    >
    >Not only that but, if the latency isn't improved by the end of March, I'm
    >not staying with Orcon UBS under any conditions. Do you pay a churn fee to
    >go to dail up?
    >
    >> I haven't noticed any difference in downloads or video chat, I use to
    >> get a maxed out connection where ever I went, now I only get about 50%

    >Interesting to know, thanks. However, Tera News don't carry the three main
    >groups my fiance subscribes to. Apparently. She looked into it as she's
    >ropable over losing access to the groups. (NIN doesn't carry them either).

    Got a mate with xtra nearby?
    You could use their dialup when they aren't (ring them if it's engaged
    they are using it).
    The reason I say nearby is to avoid a toll call.
    This might make your fiance happy until you can get something sorted .

    Bret, Feb 16, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:51:19 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >Not only that but, if the latency isn't improved by the end of March, I'm
    >not staying with Orcon UBS under any conditions. Do you pay a churn fee to
    >go to dail up?

    Nope

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Feb 16, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:28:02 +1300, Gordy <> wrote:

    >I have been with Orcon 2.5 months now and have been waiting for an
    >effective news service. Have been using NIN in the mean time.
    >
    >Spam filtering seems to have had an interim fix.. or I have just found
    >the config page deep in the system. /Myaccount/Manage
    >services/More/Mail Service/More/Spam Filtering Settings...
    >
    >Free Web Hosting has been just another week for a month now, maybe
    >more.

    Yeah..I'm still waiting. All I want it for is a page where I can rant
    and rave about things that piss me off (as if there aren't enough of
    those on the net).

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Feb 16, 2005
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:51:19 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Mayhew wrote:

    >>> What about Tera News ? OK it costs $USD3.95 to sign up (well it use
    >>> to) and you (only) get 50MB/day but $USD3.95 is cheaper than $99
    >>> churn fee.

    >> How can I pay this fee? I don't have a Credit Card and, as I found
    >> out yesterday, banks (well, Westpac anyway) want $25 to write a bank
    >> cheque in overseas funds and there is no longer such thing as a
    >> money order in our fair country. Post shops use Western Union
    >> instead and they can only be made out to individuals, not
    >> corporations or companies.
    >>
    >> Not only that but, if the latency isn't improved by the end of
    >> March, I'm not staying with Orcon UBS under any conditions. Do you
    >> pay a churn fee to go to dail up?
    >>
    >>> I haven't noticed any difference in downloads or video chat, I use
    >>> to get a maxed out connection where ever I went, now I only get
    >>> about 50%

    >> Interesting to know, thanks. However, Tera News don't carry the
    >> three main groups my fiance subscribes to. Apparently. She looked
    >> into it as she's ropable over losing access to the groups. (NIN
    >> doesn't carry them either).

    > Got a mate with xtra nearby?
    > You could use their dialup when they aren't (ring them if it's engaged
    > they are using it).
    > The reason I say nearby is to avoid a toll call.
    > This might make your fiance happy until you can get something sorted .

    Good idea. However I don't have such a mate. :-(
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2005
  17. It seems like Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:21:16 +1300 was when "~misfit~"
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >So now what? I *do* hope Orcon get's it's act together by the end of March.
    >I simply can't afford to pay fees to a foriegn company. I don't have a CC
    >and went to send payment to an organisation in the USA yesterday, the bank
    >wants $25 for a foriegn-currency bank cheque and the Post Office/Kiwi Bank
    >don't do international money orders any more, only Western Union, and that
    >*has* to go to a person, not an organisiation. I needed to pay $US14.95 and
    >it was going to cost me $50+.

    If you're capable of getting a cheque account at Westpac, you can get
    a Cheque Card that's has a credit card number, however it has no
    credit, so you can only spend as much as you have in your account.
    Really useful actually, I use it all the time to buy stuff over the
    internet, but without the worry of spending more than I have.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 16, 2005
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >>~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'll say one thing: Orcon got their second ATM line from Telecom the
    >>>other day and have been negotiating for more international bandwidth
    >>>since. I was actually able to play my game for a couple of hours
    >>>last night. Well, early hours of this morning. I don't know if it
    >>>was just because of the time or if in fact the latency is getting
    >>>better. I'll know later.
    >>>
    >>>No good to me without usenet though. I refuse to post/read through
    >>>Google groups. I'll change ISPs if Orcon don't have something
    >>>reasonable in place when NIN go paid service on April 1st. That
    >>>gives them six weeks. There is a friend of mine setting up a news
    >>>server in his spare room FFS! How damn hard is it for Orcon to do?
    >>>

    >>What about Tera News ? OK it costs $USD3.95 to sign up (well it use
    >>to) and you (only) get 50MB/day but $USD3.95 is cheaper than $99
    >>churn fee.

    > How can I pay this fee? I don't have a Credit Card and, as I found out
    > yesterday, banks (well, Westpac anyway) want $25 to write a bank cheque in
    > overseas funds and there is no longer such thing as a money order in our
    > fair country. Post shops use Western Union instead and they can only be made
    > out to individuals, not corporations or companies.

    Bugger, that's twice I need to say *sorry* to you, and in one day.
    Looks like neither of us are having a good day.

    > Not only that but, if the latency isn't improved by the end of March, I'm
    > not staying with Orcon UBS under any conditions. Do you pay a churn fee to
    > go to dail up?
    >

    >>I haven't noticed any difference in downloads or video chat, I use to
    >>get a maxed out connection where ever I went, now I only get about 50%

    Actually I meant I hadn't noticed any improvement ....

    Chris Mayhew, Feb 16, 2005
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > If you're capable of getting a cheque account at Westpac, you can get
    > a Cheque Card that's has a credit card number, however it has no
    > credit, so you can only spend as much as you have in your account.
    > Really useful actually, I use it all the time to buy stuff over the
    > internet, but without the worry of spending more than I have.

    Pretty much any bank will give you a CC with a zero or very low (like
    $100) limit for this purpose - I've got an ASB issued Visa for online
    purchases that effectively has no credit.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Feb 16, 2005
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:54:08 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:51:19 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> How can I pay this fee? I don't have a Credit Card and, as I found
    >>> out yesterday, banks (well, Westpac anyway) want $25 to write a bank
    >>> cheque in overseas funds and there is no longer such thing as a
    >>> money order in our fair country. Post shops use Western Union
    >>> instead and they can only be made out to individuals, not
    >>> corporations or companies.
    >>>
    >>> Not only that but, if the latency isn't improved by the end of
    >>> March, I'm not staying with Orcon UBS under any conditions. Do you
    >>> pay a churn fee to go to dail up?

    >>> Interesting to know, thanks. However, Tera News don't carry the
    >>> three main groups my fiance subscribes to. Apparently. She looked
    >>> into it as she's ropable over losing access to the groups. (NIN
    >>> doesn't carry them either).

    >> Got a mate with xtra nearby?
    >> You could use their dialup when they aren't (ring them if it's engaged
    >> they are using it).
    >> The reason I say nearby is to avoid a toll call.
    >> This might make your fiance happy until you can get something sorted .

    >Good idea. However I don't have such a mate. :-(

    Some kind person on the group may be able help :)

    Bret, Feb 16, 2005