NIMH BATTERY LONG TERM USE RESULTS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MeditationMan, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. LONG-TERM TEST REVIEW OF NiMH BATTERIES

    This report might be of use to consumers looking for reports and/or
    reviews of NiMH batteries.

    This is my opinion/review, after I purchased several brands and
    'no-name' AAA (not AA) Nickle Metal Hydride Batteries (NIMH) and used
    them approximately 200 times using dumb and smart chargers:

    1ST PLACE - The best AAA (not AA) battery was ($18 for 4) "Rayovac"
    brand. These Rayovac batteries ran my FRS units for 18 hours
    consistently.

    2ND PLACE - The next best AAA was the ($6.00 for 4) 'no-name' from an
    electronic component specialty retailer. After 200 charges, it lost
    1/3 of its power.

    3RD PLACE - The worst AAA was the ($22 for 4) SAFT brand. It was
    weaker than the others to begin with despite its claimed 600mAH+
    packaging and lost 1/2 of its power after 200 charges.

    This information could be of use to electric bike and scooter battery
    pack builders and manufacturers.

    MeditationMan, Jul 17, 2003

  2. MeditationMan

    Browntimdc Guest

    (MeditationMan) wrote in

    > 3RD PLACE - The worst AAA was the ($22 for 4) SAFT brand. It was
    > weaker than the others to begin with despite its claimed 600mAH+
    > packaging and lost 1/2 of its power after 200 charges.
    >

    > This information could be of use to electric bike and scooter battery
    > pack builders and manufacturers.

    There was an electric bike company (I can't recall the name) that used
    SAFT NiMH cells that failed prematurely.

    I've been successfully using a NiMH pack on my electric bike for 10
    months now. Built with batts from batteryspace.com.

    http://home.flash.net/~brownt/electrobike.htm

    Browntimdc, Jul 17, 2003

  3. MeditationMan

    David Cohen Guest

    Browntimdc <browntR*E*M*O*V*> wrote in message news:<Xns93BB7397AC1FCtbflash@207.115.63.159>...
    > (MeditationMan) wrote in
    >
    > > 3RD PLACE - The worst AAA was the ($22 for 4) SAFT brand. It was
    > > weaker than the others to begin with despite its claimed 600mAH+
    > > packaging and lost 1/2 of its power after 200 charges.
    > >

    > > This information could be of use to electric bike and scooter battery
    > > pack builders and manufacturers.
    > >

    > There was an electric bike company (I can't recall the name) that used
    > SAFT NiMH cells that failed prematurely.
    >
    > I've been successfully using a NiMH pack on my electric bike for 10
    > months now. Built with batts from batteryspace.com.
    >
    > http://home.flash.net/~brownt/electrobike.htm

    Thanks a lot guys. Based on the charge cycle for the three sets of
    AA's and my current age I'll be dead and gone long before the
    batteries. Let's hope my heirs will know how to take care of the damn
    things.
    Dave Cohen

    David Cohen, Jul 18, 2003
  4. MeditationMan

    NYC_BF_WM Guest

    (MeditationMan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > LONG-TERM TEST REVIEW OF NiMH BATTERIES
    >
    > This report might be of use to consumers looking for reports and/or
    > reviews of NiMH batteries.
    >
    > This is my opinion/review, after I purchased several brands and
    > 'no-name' AAA (not AA) Nickle Metal Hydride Batteries (NIMH) and used
    > them approximately 200 times using dumb and smart chargers:
    >
    > 1ST PLACE - The best AAA (not AA) battery was ($18 for 4) "Rayovac"
    > brand. These Rayovac batteries ran my FRS units for 18 hours
    > consistently.

    In the FRS radios, do you get a sudden drop and FRS goes dead, or is
    it a gradual drop? Good to knowm if you have to forwarn others that
    you will be off the air to change batts.

    NYC_BF_WM, Jul 19, 2003
  5. MeditationMan

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on 19 Jul 2003 10:39:05
    -0700, (NYC_BF_WM) wrote:

    > (MeditationMan) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> LONG-TERM TEST REVIEW OF NiMH BATTERIES
    >>
    >> This report might be of use to consumers looking for reports and/or
    >> reviews of NiMH batteries.
    >>
    >> This is my opinion/review, after I purchased several brands and
    >> 'no-name' AAA (not AA) Nickle Metal Hydride Batteries (NIMH) and used
    >> them approximately 200 times using dumb and smart chargers:
    >>
    >> 1ST PLACE - The best AAA (not AA) battery was ($18 for 4) "Rayovac"
    >> brand. These Rayovac batteries ran my FRS units for 18 hours
    >> consistently.

    >In the FRS radios, do you get a sudden drop and FRS goes dead, or is
    >it a gradual drop? Good to knowm if you have to forwarn others that
    >you will be off the air to change batts.

    NiMH batteries drop quite rapidly when nearing exhaustion.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Jul 19, 2003
  6. MeditationMan

    Mark B. Guest

    > LONG-TERM TEST REVIEW OF NiMH BATTERIES

    <snip>

    > This information could be of use to electric bike and scooter battery
    > pack builders and manufacturers.

    So I'm wondering why you didn't post this at rec.scooters or something
    similarly appropriate.

    Mark B., Jul 19, 2003